Conceptual & cross-subject questions for indep. study of physics

In summary, the user is seeking conceptual problems with solutions in introductory physics for self-study, with a focus on forming connections and applying principles. They mention specific texts they have looked into but have not found satisfactory solutions. They also mention their background in math and interest in engineering subjects related to physics. They clarify that their goal is not equivalent to a degree in physics but focuses on the common core studied in engineering or physics degrees with a specific emphasis.
Dani708
Physics forum users,
Thanks in advance for your help and discussion!

I am looking for conceptual problems in introductory physics which include solutions -- for self study. It should cover all the material for the IIT or GRE exams, but should emphasize forming connections, analysis and applying principles cumulatively -- in addition to questions that are specific only to the topic of one chapter/section.

An example of conceptual questions is the "questions" at end of chapters in the Halliday, D. & Resnick, R. text -- this text includes at end of chapter first a "questions" section, followed by a "problems" section, but I did not find solutions on the Internet/in-print to the former.
--But even if I found a solution-set against which I can check my work, maybe the Halliday, D. & Resnick, R. text is not the right thing given my goal that I mentioned.
Maybe at the other extreme would be "Thinking Physics" by Epstein, L., which I read about but haven't seen -- maybe that would be useful but would not suffice for forming an understanding.

I also want to find some experimental guidebook that would supplement this study.
To that end, background about myself:
I have background in math at the level of the GRE (math) subject test and some topics more advanced than that.

However, I have very little knowledge of any kind in physics. Only basic one-particle-mass dynamics, say.

That said, engineering subjects such as stability of (physical, man-made) structures and practical design, or modelling related problems as a boundary-value problem are what interest me.
Dan

Physics news on Phys.org
So that you don't get the wrong impression -- I do not believe my mentioned endeavour to be equivalent in any way to a degree in physics. Probably the scope I am presently concerned with concentrates on the common core studied in engineering or physics degrees, but with the emphasis I described. I mentioned the GRE subject test because the physics 1 - 3 texts are recommended in preparing for it on the Internet, but maybe in reality this exam requires more specialization.

Related to Conceptual & cross-subject questions for indep. study of physics

1. What is the purpose of studying physics?

The purpose of studying physics is to understand the fundamental principles and laws that govern the behavior of the physical world. It also helps us develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that can be applied in various fields.

2. What are conceptual questions in physics?

Conceptual questions in physics are questions that require an understanding of the underlying concepts and principles rather than just solving numerical problems. They often involve applying these concepts to real-life situations and analyzing the implications of different scenarios.

3. How do cross-subject questions relate to physics?

Cross-subject questions in physics are questions that require knowledge and understanding of concepts from other subjects, such as mathematics, chemistry, and biology. These questions help us see the interconnectedness of different fields of science and how they can be applied to solve complex problems.

4. Why is independent study important in physics?

Independent study in physics allows for a deeper understanding of the subject as it gives individuals the freedom to explore and apply concepts in their own way. It also helps develop self-motivation and critical thinking skills, which are essential for success in the field of physics.

5. How can I improve my skills in answering conceptual and cross-subject questions in physics?

To improve your skills in answering conceptual and cross-subject questions in physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in the basic principles and concepts. Practice solving a variety of problems and try to think critically about the concepts and their applications. Additionally, reading and staying updated on current developments in the field can also help improve your understanding and ability to answer these types of questions.