What can I do with these GRE scores?

• Thread starter leumas614
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gre
In summary, the person got 600V and 770Q on the General GRE and has a good GPA as a chemistry major with some extra physics and math classes. They are interested in applying to graduate school in engineering, but are unsure of what type of engineering they want to pursue. They asked if their GRE scores are good enough for engineering graduate programs and the response was that for physics, the subject score is more important than the general score, but for engineering, the quantitative score may hold more weight. They are not sure what type of graduate schools they can get into with their scores.
leumas614
I just took the General GRE and got 600V and 770Q. The writing was not graded yet. What kind of programs can I get into with these numbers assuming I have a good GPA?

I am a chemistry major with some extra physics and math classes and I want to apply to graduate school in engineering. Not sure what kind, maybe chemical or mechanical.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I got similar general GRE scores (I think my math score was 780 or so). In physics they don't care all that much about your general scores. It's your physics score that matters. I imagine engineering would be the same.

Well there is no subject GRE for engineering so would they really care about the Quantitative score?

Mostly I know the physics end of things, but I assume that engineering would care more about quantitative than verbal - being a field dedicated largely to applications of quantitative science.

Then my question is what kind of grad schools are those scores good for? Can I only hope to get into my state school since I didn't get an 800Q?

Related to What can I do with these GRE scores?

What can I do with these GRE scores?

There are a variety of things you can do with your GRE scores, depending on your goals and interests. Some common options include applying to graduate programs, pursuing post-baccalaureate opportunities, and seeking employment in certain industries that value strong analytical and critical thinking skills.

How do my GRE scores impact my chances of getting into graduate school?

GRE scores are just one component of your graduate school application, and their importance will vary depending on the specific program and institution you are applying to. Other factors, such as your GPA, letters of recommendation, and personal statement, will also be taken into consideration.

Can I retake the GRE if I am not satisfied with my scores?

Yes, you can retake the GRE if you are not satisfied with your scores. The GRE can be taken up to five times within a 12-month period, but only once within any 21-day period. Keep in mind that some programs may average your scores if you take the GRE multiple times.

Do all graduate programs require GRE scores?

No, not all graduate programs require GRE scores for admission. Some programs may have their own entrance exams or may not require any standardized test scores at all. It is important to research the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in.

How long are GRE scores valid?

GRE scores are valid for five years from the test date. After this time, they will no longer be reported on your score report. Keep in mind that some programs may have their own policies on how recent your GRE scores must be in order to be considered for admission.