What Are You Watching Lately? (Rants/Raves/Reviews)

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
In summary: He's a terrible role model, and his company is a terrible example.The Enclave: The Enclave is a faction that is, in some ways, the polar opposite of the NCR. They are isolationist, believing that the outside world is too dangerous and corrupt to be saved. They are also militaristic, believing that the only way to protect themselves is through force. Enclave members dress in black, with white insignia, and their ideology is very similar to that of the Nazis.
I like Reacher. It had some subtle yet corny humor.

Likes pinball1970
Physics news on Phys.org
BillTre said:
I like Reacher. It had some subtle yet corny humor.
I thought he was great (series) although posters have said he was a bit wooden. I liked that cold, disconnected feel to him.

I like the Cruise films though, he is a very good actor if not quite the stature of the book character.

Likes BillTre
I'm starting Prime Video's "The Night Manager" series. . .hopefully, it's not too complicated that it forces me to give up (like I did with "The Peripheral"...good series...just too hard to follow).

I did enjoy rewatching "Moneyball." It's always an inspirational watch and makes me feel good.

kyphysics said:
I'm starting Prime Video's "The Night Manager" series. . .
If you've only "just started" it, I suspect you'll soon like it a lot more... :oldbiggrin:

strangerep said:
If you've only "just started" it, I suspect you'll soon like it a lot more... :oldbiggrin:
Just finished Ep. 1 today. It was nothing memorable (definitely not bad - but not stand-out great either). Maybe it gets better later.

I am going to watch "The Little Things" for a change of pace the rest of tonight. I am a Denzel Washington fan, so I don't think it'll be too bad. :smile: It is soooo cold at nights in Virginia that I'm too lazy to even go out (car takes a long time to warm up). Movie/TV Show marathon all holiday week for me!

I started watching the first season of the British tv series "Slow Horses" today.
I got hooked to it after seeing just one episode. :smile:

I think it is brilliant, darkly entertaining and very unusual, and with great acting.
It's a very odd take on the agent/spy concept which I've never seen before.
Imagine e.g. James Bond and turn it around 180 degrees, and you get Slow Horses, sort of.

Zero glamour, dirty, decadent, featuring a small group of agents who are considered to be the least capable ones. Does this sound boring?

Well, it's not! :smile:

It's exciting, oddly entertaining, well written and with quite a lot of dark humor in the dialogues.

And Gary Oldman plays the very quirky boss of the agents, and he is simply formidable here.
(yes, I am a fan of Oldman, but I have to say he is just extra excellent in this role :smile:)

I warmly recommend this tv series!
(and I actually don't watch very much tv series, unless it's one I really, really like)

Trailer:

Last edited:
1704559875814.png

• Love
Likes pinball1970 and DennisN
Over the last few months I have been watching the tv series Mannix on Prime. Mannix is a Private Investigator. I enjoy it very much.

Likes DennisN and collinsmark
DennisN said:
I started watching the first season of the British tv series "Slow Horses" today.
I got hooked to it after seeing just one episode. :smile:
Haha, I've seen all three seasons now, I ate them up like three boxes of chocolate.
I liked it very, very much. Very addictive.

My summary:

Season 1: Great, fun and pretty exciting.
Season 2: Great, fun and very exciting, actually thrilling. I think it was the best one of the three seasons.
Season 3: Great, fun and exciting, also thrilling.

And I am so happy to learn that there will at least be two more seasons:

Wikipedia said:
Showrunner Will Smith has stated that the fourth season should be released by the end of December 2024. In January 2024, it was renewed for a fifth series, which will be based on the fifth book in the series, London Rules.

And yeah, I've already said I liked Gary Oldman in the role, but I have to say his character is outstanding.
He is a very odd fellow who comes with a lot of surprises throughout the three series.
And the others are great too. And they are surprising too, you can't really predict what to expect from them (at least I couldn't).

So the series gets an extra plus from me for its unpredictability.

Trailers for season 2 and 3:

Slow Horses — Season 2 Official Trailer

Slow Horses — Season 3 Official Trailer

Likes pinball1970
DennisN said:
Haha, I've seen all three seasons now, I ate them up like three boxes of chocolate.
I liked it very, very much. Very addictive.

My summary:

Season 1: Great, fun and pretty exciting.
Season 2: Great, fun and very exciting, actually thrilling. I think it was the best one of the three seasons.
Season 3: Great, fun and exciting, also thrilling.

And I am so happy to learn that there will at least be two more seasons:
And yeah, I've already said I liked Gary Oldman in the role, but I have to say his character is outstanding.
He is a very odd fellow who comes with a lot of surprises throughout the three series.
And the others are great too. And they are surprising too, you can't really predict what to expect from them (at least I couldn't).

So the series gets an extra plus from me for its unpredictability.

Trailers for season 2 and 3:

Slow Horses — Season 2 Official Trailer

Slow Horses — Season 3 Official Trailer

Anything with Gary Oldman is worth a go.

• Love
Likes DennisN
Looks like George Smiley has let himself go a bit.

• Haha
Likes DennisN and BillTre