What are the necessary steps to study advanced Q MECH on your own?

In summary, Akshat is planning to study physics at IIT and wants to know what topics are required for advanced Q mech. He is also interested in general relativity and quantum mechanics. He has read a significant portion of Arthur Beiser's Principles of Quantum Mechanics and recommends other resources, such as Gravity, An Introduction to Einstein's Relativity by Hartle or A First Course in General Relativity by Schutz.
AKSHAT2012
currently i am joining IIT for an ee btech(b e) degree. i am very passionate for continuing my studies in physics after it, but still i want to study Q mech,G R,on my own
here is what i am familiar with as of now.
MATHS
CALCULUS -TILL pde (variable separable),ODE -double order .
vector calculus till stokes threorem(only the preliminaries)

PHYSICS
Q mech till application to hydrogen atom.
some basic statistical mech.
S R till simultaniety, velocity addition.

now i want to go to advanced q mech, start G R.

please tell 1.if this math is sufficient 2. what books are best 3.what more (and in how much detail i have to learn more).4. what exactly comes in advanced q mech 5.anything u would like to add.
i will be greately indebted.
(thanks in advance) -akshat

Physics news on Phys.org
By "advanced Q-mech" you mean...the quantum mechanics leading up to quantum field theory? E.g., the Dirac Equation, EM field quantization, second quantization, and so forth?

that is exactly my question i don't know what i have to study to get deeper into quantum mechanics,as i said i only know the basics (say schrodingers eqn ,priciple ,orbital magnetic quantum nos.,eigenfunctions, expectation values,harmonic oscillators ...)to say i have read significant portion of arthur beiser.
what to read after is it elementary particles?is it treatment to many electron atoms?...

Check out Principles of Quantum Mechanics by R. Shankar. And start reading it. Skip around or whatever . Its really thorough .

Thanks.
and can you tell me the higher maths that is required apart for other topics like general relativity and ,quantum mechanics, of course.

GR has quite a slew of mathematical knowledge required that one can always pick up while learning it, I'll try to name whatever comes to my head: topology and following that differential geometry, linear algebra, some group theory would help for advanced treatments (if you ever study the spinor formalism), and tensor analysis. Again you learn a lot of the differential geometry and tensor analysis while reading introductory texts and they are to an extent one and the same subjects at that level but studying some topology would make things much more coherent. I don't think I need to mention calculus as you already know much of what is needed and it should be a given anyways if you are learning these things on your own. If you study Shankar's QM text like cragar suggested then you won't have any trouble at all going to QFT; learning some group theory would definitely help you in the future here as well. For GR I suggest you use either "A First Course in General Relativity" -Schutz and/or "Gravity, An Introduction To Einstein's Relativity" - Hartle.

thanks to all

Related to What are the necessary steps to study advanced Q MECH on your own?

1. What is advanced Q MECH?

Advanced Q MECH, or advanced quantum mechanics, is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It involves studying the principles of quantum mechanics, such as wave-particle duality and uncertainty, to understand the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other subatomic particles.

2. Why is it important to study advanced Q MECH?

Studying advanced Q MECH is crucial for understanding the fundamental laws of nature at the smallest scales. It has led to groundbreaking discoveries and advancements in technology, such as transistors, lasers, and computer chips. Without a thorough understanding of advanced Q MECH, many modern technologies would not be possible.

3. What are the prerequisites for studying advanced Q MECH?

To study advanced Q MECH, a strong foundation in undergraduate level physics, mathematics, and quantum mechanics is necessary. Knowledge of linear algebra, differential equations, and complex numbers is also essential.

4. What are some recommended study materials for advanced Q MECH?

Some recommended study materials for advanced Q MECH include textbooks such as "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths and "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili. Online resources, such as lecture notes and video lectures from renowned universities, can also be helpful.

5. How can I improve my understanding of advanced Q MECH?

To improve your understanding of advanced Q MECH, it is important to practice solving problems and to actively engage with the material. Discussing concepts with peers and seeking guidance from a mentor or professor can also be beneficial. Additionally, staying updated on current research and advancements in the field can deepen your understanding and provide real-world applications of advanced Q MECH.