What are the Initial Velocities of Two Cars Colliding at Different Directions?

In summary, the conversation discusses a situation where two cars collide and go in different directions. The initial velocities and masses of the cars are given, along with the fact that the final momentum is equal to the initial momentum. The use of sign conventions and trigonometry may be necessary to solve for the initial velocities of the cars. The individuals involved are seeking guidance on how to proceed with the problem.
poohead

Homework Statement

two cars collide with each other and basically go different directions
m1 starts out going West and m2 starts out going North

I have set sign conventions to have North + and West -
East + and south -

v1 and v2 are unknown but v1' and v2' are know v1'=19.4 m/s (57 N of W)
v2'=11.4 m/s (44 N of W)

masses are m1= 765 kg and m2=1100 kg i know that Pi=Pf
equation for momentum
m1v1+m2v2=m1v1'+m2v2'

cos law, sine law and tan law may be required due to angles

i must figure out v1 and v2, the initial velocities for the cars

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi poohead! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help. :wink:

this is basically where I am stuck, i don't know where to go from here. I drew a diagram labelling the angles and drew triangles so i could use SOH CAH TOA but i don't believe I am getting the right answers cause it seems to be way out of proportion

Can you figure out what the x- and y-components are?

yea man i did that and figured it out
thank you

Related to What are the Initial Velocities of Two Cars Colliding at Different Directions?

1. What is initial velocity?

Initial velocity is the velocity of an object at the beginning of its motion. It is the speed and direction at which an object starts moving.

2. How is initial velocity calculated?

Initial velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in displacement by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula: initial velocity = (final displacement - initial displacement) / time.

3. Can initial velocity be negative?

Yes, initial velocity can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen reference point. This indicates that the object is moving in the negative direction on a coordinate axis.

4. What is the unit of measurement for initial velocity?

The unit of measurement for initial velocity depends on the unit of measurement used for displacement and time. For example, if displacement is measured in meters and time in seconds, then initial velocity would be measured in meters per second (m/s).

5. Why is finding initial velocity important in science?

Finding initial velocity is important in science because it helps us understand the motion of objects. By knowing the initial velocity, we can calculate the acceleration, displacement, and other factors related to an object's motion. This information is crucial in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.