What are the distributions for R and fi in polar coordinates?

In summary: It follows the same distribution as the module |V| of a 2D normal vector (see my previous post).In summary, the two independent variables X and Y have a uniform distribution with a range of -pi to pi for fi and a Rayleigh distribution with a variance of 1 for R.
Nina22
Hello, I have a problem. I have two independent variables, X and Y. I use polar coordinates so X=r*cos(fi) and Y=r*sin(fi)

R >= 0 and -pi <= fi <= pi

I got two distributions: for R is: r*e^((-r^2)/2)
and for fi: 1/2pi

but now I don't know which kind of distribution is for each of them (I don't know the names of the distributions)

Please help me

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Nina22 said:
Hello, I have a problem. I have two independent variables, X and Y. I use polar coordinates so X=r*cos(fi) and Y=r*sin(fi)

but now I don't know which kind of distribution is for each of them (I don't know the names of the distributions)

Please help me

Welcome to MHB Nina! :)The relevant distributions are:
  • Uniform distribution, identified with a lower bound $a$ and an upper bound $b$.
  • Normal distribution, identified with a mean $\mu$ and a standard deviation $\sigma$.
  • Weibull distribution, with parameters $k$ and $\lambda$.

Can you match them with your random variables and find their identifying parameters?
Or otherwise show some of your thoughts?

Nina22 said:

Please help me

Wellcome to a new Italian member on MHB!... congratulation to Nina!...

If You consider to have a vector V(X,Y) where X and Y and normal random variables with zero mean a variance $\displaystyle \sigma^{2}$, then both X and Y have p.d.f. ... $\displaystyle f(u) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\ \pi}\ \sigma}\ e^{- \frac{u^{2}}{2\ \sigma^{2}}}\ (1)$

In such a case You can demonstrate that the angle of V is uniformly distributed between $- \pi$ and $\pi$ and the module |V| of the vector is Rayleigh distributed, i.e. |V| fas p.d.f. ...$\displaystyle g(w) = \frac{w}{\sigma^{2}}\ e^ {- \frac{w^{2}}{2\ \sigma^{2}}}\ (2)$

In Your case X and Y are normal distributed r.v. with zero mean and variance $\displaystyle \sigma^{2}= 1$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Thank you very much for your answers!

I like Serena: I was thinking and didn't know if it was right that fi is distributed uniformely

Nina22 said:
Thank you very much for your answers!

I like Serena: I was thinking and didn't know if it was right that fi is distributed uniformely

Yes. That is correct!

Its distribution function is $\frac{1}{2\pi}$, which is constant.
That is the prime characteristic of a uniform distribution function: whatever the outcome, the probability is the same.
Can you tell what its lower and upper bounds are?
With the right bounds the total cumulative probability has to come out as $1$.

So I was right :) Thank you

and R has the Rayleigh distribution

Nina22 said:
So I was right :) Thank you

and R has the Rayleigh distribution

Good! :D

Related to What are the distributions for R and fi in polar coordinates?

What is a "Problem with distribution"?

A "Problem with distribution" is a term used to describe issues or challenges in the process of delivering goods or services from the producer or manufacturer to the end consumer. This can include issues such as delays, errors, or inefficiencies in the supply chain.

What are some common causes of problems with distribution?

Some common causes of problems with distribution include logistical challenges, such as transportation and storage issues, as well as communication breakdowns between different parties involved in the distribution process.

How can problems with distribution impact a company?

Problems with distribution can have a significant impact on a company's bottom line, as it can result in lost sales, increased costs, and damage to the company's reputation. It can also lead to dissatisfied customers and a decline in customer loyalty.

What are some strategies for addressing problems with distribution?

Strategies for addressing problems with distribution can include implementing more efficient supply chain processes, improving communication and collaboration between different parties, and investing in better technology and logistics solutions.

How can a scientist contribute to solving problems with distribution?

A scientist can contribute to solving problems with distribution by using their expertise in data analysis and problem-solving to identify and address the root causes of distribution issues. They can also use their knowledge of supply chain processes to develop more efficient and effective solutions.