What Are the Career Opportunities in Plasma Physics Beyond Nuclear Fusion?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential of pursuing a PhD in plasma physics for nuclear fusion research. The speaker expresses concern about the narrow opportunities in this field and asks about its uses in industry and non-fusion research. Another person shares their interest in fusion research and mentions that plasma physics is also used in astrophysics and potentially in propulsion methods. The conversation concludes with a mention of the experimental nature of fusion research and a possible market for it in 2018.
Itchtakov
Hi. I'm thinking of doing a PhD in plasma physics, ideally to get into nuclear fusion research. But I am a little concerned that the opportunities with plasma physics are a little narrow. Does anyone know anything about its uses or otherwise in industry/non-fusion research? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Itchtakov said:
Hi. I'm thinking of doing a PhD in plasma physics, ideally to get into nuclear fusion research. But I am a little concerned that the opportunities with plasma physics are a little narrow. Does anyone know anything about its uses or otherwise in industry/non-fusion research? Thanks.

i'm actually considering the same thing. I've followed the recent developments in fusion for a while a now and have borrowed a number of books on particle physics and plasma physics.

I can't say how fast it will be as ITER is still experimental. We'd have to wait until 2018 at least for a definitive market for fusion.

I'd pursue it in hopes of working on fusion research, possibly contributing to faster fusion development.

Well, its used in astrophysics as well, a lot of the terrestial fusion researchers were originally studying astrophysical plasmas. I think it might help in certain types of propulsion methods too like the ion drives but I'm not sure how many plasma physicists are involved.

I don't think the opportunities are ridiculously narrow, but it doesn't have as many applications as solid state physics etc.

Ian_Brooks said:
I can't say how fast it will be as ITER is still experimental. We'd have to wait until 2018 at least for a definitive market for fusion.

Just out of curiosity. Why that date in particular?

Related to What Are the Career Opportunities in Plasma Physics Beyond Nuclear Fusion?

1. What is plasma physics?

Plasma physics is the study of the properties and behavior of ionized gases, also known as plasmas. These gases consist of charged particles that interact with each other and with electromagnetic fields.

2. What are some real-world applications of plasma physics?

Plasma physics has many practical applications, including in the fields of energy production (such as nuclear fusion), spacecraft propulsion, materials processing, and plasma TVs.

3. How are options with plasma physics being explored for energy production?

One promising option is nuclear fusion, which uses the energy from fusing atomic nuclei to produce electricity. Another option is using plasmas to create and control high-temperature, high-pressure environments for energy production.

4. What challenges exist in harnessing plasma physics for energy production?

One major challenge is achieving and sustaining the extreme conditions necessary for nuclear fusion. Another challenge is developing efficient and cost-effective methods for controlling and harnessing plasmas.

5. How is plasma physics being used in space exploration?

Plasma physics is essential for understanding and modeling the behavior of plasmas in space, such as the solar wind. It is also being used to develop more efficient and powerful spacecraft propulsion systems, such as ion thrusters.