From ECE to Plasma Physics/Fusion Tech?

• Thread starter Luke Pritchard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ece Plasma
In summary: However, it may be more difficult to get into a PhD program in plasma physics without a formal background in the subject. It would be helpful to gain some experience or take some courses related to plasma physics during your undergrad to make your application more competitive.
Luke Pritchard
I am currently doing my undergrad in electrical engineering and hope to specialize in power at the end of it. In short I am fascinated with energy and confronting the problem of the global energy crisis

Is it possible to switch from ece into r and d of fusion technology? I would love to get a PhD in plasma physics.

I have been specifically looking at University of Wisconsin which has a focus on fusion tech and applied physics rather than just experimental plasma physics.

Would I not be accepted due to my discipline since I am not formally taught in plasmas/nuclear physics in undergrad?

Physics news on Phys.org
Luke Pritchard said:
I am currently doing my undergrad in electrical engineering and hope to specialize in power at the end of it. In short I am fascinated with energy and confronting the problem of the global energy crisis

Is it possible to switch from ece into r and d of fusion technology? I would love to get a PhD in plasma physics.

I have been specifically looking at University of Wisconsin which has a focus on fusion tech and applied physics rather than just experimental plasma physics.

Would I not be accepted due to my discipline since I am not formally taught in plasmas/nuclear physics in undergrad?

UW-Madison's Electrical Engineering department does plasma fusion research:

http://www.engr.wisc.edu/ece/ece-research-priorities-energy.html

So do some faculty at University of Washington

https://www.aa.washington.edu/research/HITsi/index.html

And the University of Michigan:

http://mipse.umich.edu/

http://www-applied.physics.lsa.umich.edu/

Though most people come from physics, nuclear or aerospace engineering, some EE's work on plasma fusion too, so it's not impossible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to From ECE to Plasma Physics/Fusion Tech?

1. What is the difference between ECE and Plasma Physics/Fusion Tech?

ECE (Electronics and Communication Engineering) focuses on the design and development of electronic devices and communication systems. Plasma Physics/Fusion Tech, on the other hand, deals with the study and manipulation of plasma, a state of matter consisting of ionized gas. Fusion technology is a subfield of plasma physics that aims to harness the energy produced by nuclear fusion reactions.

2. How is ECE related to Plasma Physics/Fusion Tech?

ECE and Plasma Physics/Fusion Tech are related through the use of electronic devices and systems in the research and development of fusion technology. ECE plays a crucial role in the design and implementation of control systems, sensors, and data analysis tools for plasma experiments and fusion reactors.

3. What is the current state of research in Plasma Physics/Fusion Tech?

The current state of research in Plasma Physics/Fusion Tech is focused on developing advanced fusion reactors that can sustain nuclear fusion reactions and produce a net energy output. Scientists are also working on improving plasma confinement techniques and developing new materials that can withstand the extreme conditions in fusion reactors.

4. What are the potential benefits of advancements in Plasma Physics/Fusion Tech?

The successful development of fusion technology could provide a nearly limitless source of clean and abundant energy. It could also help reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and mitigate the impacts of climate change. Additionally, fusion technology has potential applications in space propulsion and medical imaging.

5. What are the challenges in achieving sustainable fusion reactions?

One of the main challenges in achieving sustainable fusion reactions is controlling and confining the extremely hot and dense plasma. Scientists are also working on finding ways to sustain nuclear fusion reactions without using more energy than is produced. Additionally, the development of fusion technology requires significant financial and technological resources, which can be a challenge to obtain.