What are the best career options in physics for someone starting at 32?

• Thread starter jimineycrick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the speaker is 32 years old and has decided to change careers by enrolling in a Maths course with the Open University in the UK. They eventually want to move towards Physics and will have to make a decision on which area to focus on by the time they complete their undergraduate degree at 35. The speaker is wondering if there is a specific area of Physics that would be more beneficial for finding employment, such as focusing on Maths and Computer Science or a more hands-on Physics degree. They are not interested in teaching, accountancy, or economics and are pursuing this change of career to work in the field of science. They are seeking advice and appreciate any help.
jimineycrick
Hi

At 32 I've decided to have a change of career and have enrolled in a Maths course with the Open University here in the UK, the eventual aim is to move towards Physics.

As I'm progressing I'm going to have make a decision as to what area I focus on. By the time I complete the undergraduate degree I'll be about 35 and I'm wondering if there is an area of physics that will be more favorable to study with regards to finding employment...

For example I'm considering focusing more on Maths and Computer Science. Or would a more practical hands on Physics degree be of more use?

I'm not interested in teaching (coming from that background originally) or accountancy/economics. I putting myself through this to work in 'science'.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
J

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi - thanks for the reply. Could I ask has that been a good move? Did you want to move into Computer Science or did circumstances push you in that direction?

Thanks

Related to What are the best career options in physics for someone starting at 32?

1. What are the job prospects for a physicist at age 32?

The job prospects for a physicist at age 32 vary depending on individual qualifications and experience. Generally, there is demand for physicists in industries such as aerospace, energy, and technology. Additionally, there may be opportunities in academia or government research positions. It is important to continuously update skills and stay current in the field to increase job prospects.

2. Is it too late to start a career in physics at age 32?

No, it is not too late to start a career in physics at age 32. Many physicists come from diverse backgrounds and may have pursued other fields before entering physics. With dedication and hard work, it is possible to successfully transition into a career in physics at any age.

3. What skills are important for a physicist at age 32?

Some important skills for a physicist at age 32 include strong mathematical and analytical skills, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, and proficiency in computer programming and data analysis. Additionally, effective communication and collaboration skills are essential for working in a team and presenting findings to others.

4. What opportunities for growth and advancement are available for a physicist at age 32?

There are various opportunities for growth and advancement for a physicist at age 32. Within a specific field of physics, one can pursue advanced research or teaching positions, or even become a team leader or manager. There may also be opportunities to branch into other fields such as engineering or data science.

5. What challenges may a physicist at age 32 face in the workplace?

Some challenges that a physicist at age 32 may face in the workplace include keeping up with advancements in the field, maintaining a work-life balance, and facing competition for job opportunities. Additionally, there may be challenges in effectively communicating complex concepts to non-physicists and working on interdisciplinary teams. However, with dedication and determination, these challenges can be overcome.