What Are Some Recommended Resources for Self-Studying Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking recommendations for an introductory book or DVD for self-study in quantum mechanics. The person recommending suggests providing information about their current knowledge and level of study, and also suggests checking previous discussions in the Science Books forum. The person being recommended a book mentions their previous studies and preference for a clear explanation of concepts. The conversation ends with a recommendation for the book "Quantum mechanics, Concepts and applications" by Nouredine Zettili.
p75213
Could somebody recommend an introductory book or dvd suitable for self study?

Physics news on Phys.org
It would help if you tell us how much physics and math you already know, and at what level you want to study QM. Also, I suggest you look around the Science Books forum (where I've moved your question) for earlier discussions about QM books.

Let me recommend: Quantum mechanics, Concepts and applications, Nouredine Zettili, wiley

jtbell said:
It would help if you tell us how much physics and math you already know, and at what level you want to study QM. Also, I suggest you look around the Science Books forum (where I've moved your question) for earlier discussions about QM books.

I have completed the physics 1,2 and 3 dvd's from mathtutordvd.com. I have also studied calculus 1 and 2 with a spattering of calculus 3. I am loooking for a book which would give me a good foundation and explains the concepts clearly.

p75213 said:
I am loooking for a book which would give me a good foundation and explains the concepts clearly.

Check out Zettili

sean_s said:
Check out Zettili

Thanks for that. Will do.

Related to What Are Some Recommended Resources for Self-Studying Quantum Mechanics?

1. What is Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of particles and their interactions.

2. Who discovered Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics was developed by a group of scientists in the early 20th century, including Max Planck, Albert Einstein, Niels Bohr, Werner Heisenberg, Erwin Schrödinger, and others. Each of these scientists made significant contributions to the development of this theory.

3. What are the applications of Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics has numerous applications in modern technology, such as in the development of transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It is also essential in understanding and developing new materials, such as semiconductors and superconductors. Additionally, it has applications in fields like medicine, cryptography, and telecommunications.

4. Is Quantum Mechanics difficult to understand?

Quantum Mechanics can be challenging to comprehend as it deals with concepts that are very different from our everyday experiences. However, with the help of visual aids, such as books or DVDs, and a strong foundation in mathematics, it is possible to gain a basic understanding of the principles of Quantum Mechanics.

5. Can Quantum Mechanics be proven?

Quantum Mechanics is a scientific theory that has been extensively tested and proven through experiments and observations. However, there is ongoing research to further understand and refine the theory. So while it cannot be proven in the traditional sense, it is a well-established and widely accepted theory in the scientific community.