What Are Some Recommendations for Studying for the Physics GRE Exam?

In summary, the conversation is about the Physics GRE and the lack of available information and resources for preparing for it. The ETS website provides information and a practice test, while the physicsgre forum and other websites offer helpful tips and resources. There is also a discussion about the difficulty of the exam and the best approach for studying.
Elwin.Martin
I tried searching for posts about the Physics GRE but couldn't find anything, did I not look hard enough or is there a reason why nobody talk about it? I tried to see if there was a rule against posting questions about it on this forum but I didn't find anything that ruled out asking general questions about the test but if this is in the wrong place then I understand if it's moved or deleted.

I've spent a couple of days looking for information on the test and I've only found the kind of information fit for a wikipedia article so far, i.e. test dates, exam duration. I've been looking for some sort of aid in studying for the PGRE (looking ahead, I'm only just starting out) and so far I've found that the only books readily available are considered garbage by most exam takers (the REA books, specifically). Does anyone have any recommendations for books or should reviewing a standard text in each of the topics covered be the best approach? It seems like an unwieldy task at the moment, going through both Griffith's I have (ED and Qmech) alone seems like it would be exhausting.

Also, I was wondering if someone could compare the questions to an external problem source. I have Irodov's which I used for Physics Olympiad preparation in high school but I have a feeling that the multiple choice nature of the exam will prevent the questions from being quite the same form. There aren't many practice tests available for viewing either...

I'd ask what people thought about the difficulty but I'm sure that would be of little value without context so I'll request that anyone willing to share their experience with the exam give a little background information.

Thank you very much in advanced!

Physics news on Phys.org
The ETS website has the following information about the physics GRE, "from the horse's mouth" so to speak:

http://www.ets.org/gre/subject/about/content/physics

Note the link to the http://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/GRE/pdf/Physics.pdf (PDF). It contains "one actual full-length GRE Physics Test" so you can see what you're up against.

As far as reviewing goes, I would simply use whatever textbooks you've used for the courses you've taken so far, and focus on basic concepts and methods rather than a bazillion special cases. If you haven't had a course in some area yet, don't stress out over it. If a graduate admissions committee sees that, for example, you took the exam in fall 2011 but aren't going to take a full thermo / stat mech course until spring 2012, they'll evaluate your score accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:
jtbell said:
The ETS website has the following information about the physics GRE, "from the horse's mouth" so to speak:

http://www.ets.org/gre/subject/about/content/physics

Note the link to the http://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/GRE/pdf/Physics.pdf (PDF). It contains "one actual full-length GRE Physics Test" so you can see what you're up against.

Also, here's a website that has past Physics GRE problems and solutions: http://grephysics.net/ans/"

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What Are Some Recommendations for Studying for the Physics GRE Exam?

1. What is the purpose of taking "Physics GRE practice tests"?

The purpose of taking "Physics GRE practice tests" is to prepare for the actual Physics GRE exam. These practice tests are designed to familiarize students with the format and content of the actual exam, as well as to assess their level of understanding and identify areas for improvement.

2. How many practice tests should I take before the actual Physics GRE exam?

There is no specific number of practice tests that one should take before the actual exam. It depends on each individual's level of preparation and comfort with the material. However, it is recommended to take multiple practice tests in order to fully gauge one's understanding and improve upon weak areas.

3. Are "Physics GRE practice tests" similar to the actual exam?

Yes, "Physics GRE practice tests" are designed to closely resemble the actual exam in terms of format, content, and difficulty level. However, there may be slight variations in specific questions and topics covered.

4. Where can I find "Physics GRE practice tests"?

"Physics GRE practice tests" can be found online through various sources, such as test preparation websites, official ETS resources, and study guides. They can also be purchased in book format from major bookstores.

5. How should I use "Physics GRE practice tests" in my study routine?

It is recommended to use "Physics GRE practice tests" as a tool for self-assessment and to identify areas for improvement. They can also be used as a means of familiarizing oneself with the exam format and timing. It is important to review and understand the solutions to the practice tests in order to improve performance on the actual exam.