What are possible research questions to pursue in cosmology?

In summary, the person is looking for an original research question in cosmology but is limited by not having access to a particle accelerator. They are seeking help in finding a suitable question and have already done some initial research. They are also advised to seek guidance from a mentor or supervisor and given some advice on how research works in this field. The conversation also mentions the potential challenges for a high school or undergraduate student to conduct original research in this area.
Daine
Hi all!
I am currently trying to figure out a possible original research question that I can pursue in cosmology. I don't have ready access to a particle accelerator or anything like that so I would assume that it would have to be theoretical. I am sorry to ask such a broad question, but I don't know what else to try. I have come up with several question of my own, but after some light research into them, I have found that they are either not plausible or have already been done. Please help!
Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
On what level? As high school project, as undergrad project, as PhD project, or beyond?
As high school project you can't expect to discover something new, and even as undergrad project that will be very challenging (and need some guidance from experienced cosmologists).

Usually the way that research works is that you start by learning enough about the subject matter that you know what the open questions in the field are, what approaches others have tried in the past to solve them, and what approaches others are currently working on.

That's not meant to dampen your enthusiasm though. Sometimes students can get involved in ongoing research projects to learn about the process of doing research itself as well as getting a new perspective on the field. You can't learn everything out of a textbook after all. Having a mentor helps considerably. So if you're really interested in dong research, its probably in your interest to find someone with an ongoing project that you can help out with.

Daine said:
Hi all!
I am currently trying to figure out a possible original research question that I can pursue in cosmology. I don't have ready access to a particle accelerator or anything like that so I would assume that it would have to be theoretical. I am sorry to ask such a broad question, but I don't know what else to try. I have come up with several question of my own, but after some light research into them, I have found that they are either not plausible or have already been done. Please help!
Thank you for your time.

If you are doing this as part of an academic program, then why aren't you asking this to your Mentor/Supervisor/Advisor?

If you are already a professional in this area, then this is a rather odd question to be asking in a public forum.

If you are a non-professional and doing this as a side hobby, then good luck!

Zz.

Related to What are possible research questions to pursue in cosmology?

1. What is the current understanding of the origin and evolution of the universe?

The current understanding is based on the Big Bang theory, which states that the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding ever since. Cosmologists continue to study the early moments of the universe's existence and how it has evolved over billions of years.

2. What are the potential sources of dark matter and dark energy?

Dark matter and dark energy are two of the biggest mysteries in cosmology. Scientists are currently exploring various hypotheses, such as weakly interacting massive particles (WIMPs) and modified theories of gravity, as potential sources of dark matter. The nature of dark energy, on the other hand, is still largely unknown and is an active area of research.

3. How do scientists study the large-scale structure of the universe?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study the large-scale structure of the universe, such as observing the cosmic microwave background radiation, mapping the distribution of galaxies, and measuring the effects of gravitational lensing. These techniques allow cosmologists to understand the overall structure and composition of the universe.

4. What are the key unanswered questions in cosmology?

Some of the key unanswered questions in cosmology include the nature of dark matter and dark energy, the origin of cosmic inflation, the existence of other universes, and the ultimate fate of the universe. These questions continue to drive research and inspire new theories and experiments.

5. How does cosmology intersect with other fields of science?

Cosmology is a multifaceted field that intersects with many other fields of science, such as physics, astronomy, mathematics, and computer science. For example, understanding the behavior of particles and forces at the smallest scales can inform our understanding of the universe as a whole. Additionally, advancements in technology and data analysis have greatly impacted the progress of cosmology in recent years.