What are my chances of getting into grad school?

In summary, your research experience and teaching experience are strong points. However, your lower math GRE score is a concern.
jtk1000
I am a senior at a top 20 undergraduate university majoring in math and physics. I am hoping to study math at the graduate level next year. I have a 3.5 GPA (3.3 in math) and have been doing undergraduate research for the past 2 years with an engineering firm in my hometown (mostly been writing computational software). Additionally, I work in the chemistry department at my school as a lab assistant and am a math tutor for several students. My recommenders should write me very good letters. I took the general GRE and got an 800 (94th percentile) on the quantitative and a 690 (96th percentile). I am applying to several top universities (top 20 graduate math programs) and several mid level universities (ranked ~50th graduate math programs).

I am concerned because I just received my mathematics GRE subject test scores and they are terrible. I got a 510 (16th percentile). I was pretty blindsided by these scores since I studied relatively intensely and felt confident after the test.

So I just want to know what are my chances of getting into graduate school despite these scores. I am looking for realistic expectations so don't feel like you have to be nice or gentle. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have anything published with your name on it? In a peer-review journal that is.

No, I do not.

Gut instinct (based on similar scores, physics): I think your chances at getting in top-ranked programs is slim... decent at intermediate ones. I'm glad you're spreading out your applications among both levels.

Ultimately, your chances depend on the other applicants, and how many students are applying versus how many they make offers to, and how they rank factors... and that varies by institution. I think you should highlight your research experience, even if there aren't any publication results. Also highlight your teaching experience some... many (intermediate) programs will like that they can definitely use you as a good TA.

For top-ranked programs, generally the application needs to be flawless, because there's just so many applicants. For intermediate ones, you're generally allowed a flaw or two... which in your case are a low GPA and a bad math GRE test score. Work on improving the GPA while you still can. (Also -- has it shown improvement over time? It would help if the things pulling it down are from freshman or sophomore year.)

Last edited:
also, if you really want to work with a certain professor at a top school or something, you can do a masters at another school, publish some papers, and make sure your grades are high in graduate coursework.

Related to What are my chances of getting into grad school?

What are my chances of getting into grad school?

This is a common question among students who are considering applying to graduate school. While there is no definite answer, there are a few factors that can influence your chances of being accepted.

1. What is my undergraduate GPA and how important is it?

Your undergraduate GPA is an important factor in the grad school admissions process. It shows your academic abilities and dedication to your studies. Most universities have a minimum GPA requirement, so it is important to maintain a competitive GPA. However, a high GPA does not guarantee admission, as other factors such as research experience and letters of recommendation also play a role.

2. How important are standardized test scores?

Standardized test scores, such as the GRE or GMAT, are often required for grad school applications. These scores are used to assess your academic readiness for graduate-level coursework. However, they are not the only factor considered and a strong score does not guarantee admission. It is important to prepare and study for these exams to achieve a competitive score.

3. Do I need research experience to get into grad school?

While research experience is not always required, it can greatly strengthen your grad school application. Research experience shows your ability to conduct independent research and your interest in your field of study. It can also provide valuable letters of recommendation from professors or researchers you have worked with.

4. How important are letters of recommendation?

Letters of recommendation are an important aspect of your grad school application. They provide insight into your academic abilities, personal qualities, and potential for success in graduate school. It is important to choose recommenders who know you well and can speak positively about your abilities.

5. What can I do to increase my chances of getting into grad school?

There are several things you can do to increase your chances of being accepted into grad school. These include maintaining a competitive GPA, gaining research experience, preparing for standardized tests, and securing strong letters of recommendation. It is also important to carefully research and choose programs that align with your interests and goals.