What actually happened in the last scene of Sherlock S01E01?

• Thread starter Faiq
  • Start date
In summary, according to this answer, it is possible that Sherlock picked the left-handed bottle of pills on the basis of a rigged scenario in which he could die.
Faiq
In the last scene, Sherlock was tasked with picking a "good pill" or a "bad pill"? What ACTUALLY happened in that scenario and why did Sherlock picked the pill on the left?
Here is what I think:

This is in continuation to Jessica Barber's answer to this question
https://www.quora.com/Science-of-De...ock-pick-up-the-good-bottle-or-the-bad-bottle
So before reading this answer please read the answer in the above link.

Let's say this was the correct answer. So there is a possibility that Sherlock could've died. Then the question arises what Moriarty had to gain from the situation if Sherlock died? Does he want to lose such a brilliant arch-nemesis? And doesn't it sound a little cowardice that Moriarty is using someone else to defeat Sherlock and he doesn't have the guts to stand against Sherlock?

Remember the part in season 2 episode 3 where Moriarty teased Sherlock by saying," I knew you’d fall for it. That’s your weakness. You always want everything to be clever." How was Moriarty able to deduce that? From the 5 cases he threw over Sherlock? No, they were brilliantly planned and were in no way a reflection of Sherlock's weakness. Where did Moriarty get that idea then? I think this scenario was the time when it convinced Moriarty that Sherlock treats everything to be a complex case even when making a random choice like these two bottles.

In my opinion, from choosing left-handed victims to the Jeff's "move", these all were factors deliberately introduced, to see how much thinking Sherlock would apply in a simple game. This is when Moriarty realized that Sherlock want everything to be complex and clever.

Do you guys have any theory about that scenario? What do you think of my reasoning?
Let me know

Physics news on Phys.org
Faiq said:
Do you guys have any theory about that scenario?
Oh, I watched that one a long time ago. It was great! I thought that both pills contained poison so, whichever one Sherlock took, he could’ve died…that’s how the cabbie could have tricked the other people into committing suicide.

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Oh, I watched that one a long time ago. It was great! I thought that both pills contained poison so, whichever one Sherlock took, he could’ve died…that’s how the cabbie could have tricked the other people into committing suicide.
It was definitely rigged, otherwise the cabbie might have someone report him for his little game.

However, who would dare say the good Mr. Holmes didn't have an antidote for every poison known to man in one of his pockets? ;)

The only reasonable conclusion is that Sherlock had long developed an immunity to Iocane powder.

princessbride3301.jpg

Noisy Rhysling said:
It was definitely rigged, otherwise the cabbie might have someone report him for his little game.

However, who would dare say the good Mr. Holmes didn't have an antidote for every poison known to man in one of his pockets? ;)

There was also an explanation which intrigued me
"The driver's sons whom he loved very much will get money if he could kill a person. So more killing = more money for the boys' future. Now as a father the driver wouldn't take that much risk. There has to be a trick..! He can never kill four out of four people continuously, by depending on luck and psychology only.
So...what did he do..?
Did u notice the pills in the bottle were capsules..not tablets. You can't chew capsule,you need water to swallow it. Now imagine you are his victim. After all that tension,would you bother about the water he gave you to eat the pill? You will swallow it with the water he provided...and good bye..rest in peace.. You are dead..!

Yes... that is it.. Both the bottles of pills are fake,just for show.. Poison is in the water.. So you close eyes,pick any bottle, but use your water bottle's water to eat.. Best of luck.."

Likes Imager
I've never had any trouble swallowing capsules without water.

Noisy Rhysling said:
True, but regardless of what really happened, Sherlock never could have died because it was the first episode of the first season and you can't kill the leading character that quickly :wink:

ProfuselyQuarky said:
True, but regardless of what really happened, Sherlock never could have died because it was the first episode of the first season and you can't kill the leading character that quickly :wink:
Unless...

;)

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Battlemage! said:
The only reasonable conclusion is that Sherlock had long developed an immunity to Iocane powder.
Inconceivable!

Likes Battlemage! and ProfuselyQuarky

Related to What actually happened in the last scene of Sherlock S01E01?

1. What was the significance of the last scene in Sherlock S01E01?

The last scene in Sherlock S01E01 is significant because it reveals the true identity of Sherlock's arch-nemesis, Jim Moriarty. It also sets the stage for their ongoing battle throughout the rest of the series.

2. Who was the mysterious woman in the last scene of Sherlock S01E01?

The woman in the last scene of Sherlock S01E01 is Irene Adler, a skilled dominatrix and love interest of Sherlock. She plays a pivotal role in the episode and returns in later seasons.

3. What was the purpose of the code that Sherlock deciphered in the last scene of Sherlock S01E01?

The code that Sherlock deciphered in the last scene of Sherlock S01E01 was a message from Jim Moriarty, taunting Sherlock and setting up their future encounters. It also hints at the larger plot of the series.

4. Did Sherlock really jump off the building in the last scene of Sherlock S01E01?

The last scene of Sherlock S01E01 appears to show Sherlock jumping off a building, but this is later revealed to be a clever trick orchestrated by Sherlock and his allies to fake his death and fool Moriarty.

5. How did the last scene of Sherlock S01E01 set up the rest of the series?

The last scene of Sherlock S01E01 sets up the ongoing battle between Sherlock and Moriarty, as well as introducing Irene Adler as a recurring character. It also hints at the larger plot of the series and sets up future storylines and character developments.