Welcome Shawn! Learning Math & Physics for Meteorology

In summary: Welcome. It will be worth the effort.Welcome. You will find plenty of help here.Welcome Shawn! You are going to love it here.
Shawn Gossman
Howdy all,

My name is Shawn! I am the newbie (at the moment) on this forum and to Math and Physics. I am 24 years of age (25 in six days) and I live in southern Illinois, USA. My current employment is coal mining.

I would like to learn math and physics. I own various Meteorology forums and for a love of forum administration, I thought I would go ahead and turn to a forum for help with math and so forth, and this one caught my attention.

For many years I have had an extreme passion for Meteorology and Climate interests. I am a long time storm chaser and SKYWARN storm spotter. I was going to college for Criminal Justice to be a cop but I have lost interest in it. I really really really want to go to school for Meteorology but I am not good at math, so I figured if I put my mind to it and tried hard, I can learn it easily because I'd love to go into Meteorology as a career.

Thank you for having me and I hope to learn a lot here :D

Kind Regards,
Shawn Gossman

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Shawn! You're right that it's a lot easier to learn a subject when you're really interested in it and have a goal in sight. And you'll find plenty of help around PF as you work toward that goal.

Welcome to PF, Shawn. You will find plenty of help here.

Shawn Gossman said:
I am a long time storm chaser and SKYWARN storm spotter.

If you have any good storm-chaser photos, please feel free to share. :-p

Hi Shawn, nice to have you here.

Welcome. You'll like it here, everybody is extremely helpful.

Welcome and ditto on the storm-photos.

Welcome aboard, Shawn.
I'm afraid that I won't be of any help to you, since the only meteorology that I studied was when I was flying. That was 36 years ago, so I've obviously forgotten everything that I knew then. :frown:
Still, you are definitely in the right place to learn anything. If nobody knows the answer to something, they'll link you to a solution. You have world-class experts at your disposal.
As long as you're nice to everyone, even during disputes, you have a home here.

Danger said:
Welcome aboard, Shawn.
I'm afraid that I won't be of any help to you, since the only meteorology that I studied was when I was flying.

Way to make us all jealous.

I don't know how much maths you will need for Meteorology but nothing is impossible if you put your mind to it. I would recommend doing the exercises in the books (or online) that you read. Otherwise you may end up like me, forgetting what I learned 5 days ago.

I wish you the best of luck and I really hope you will catch your dream.

Focus said:
Way to make us all jealous.

On the contrary. I got grounded on a medical before I even got properly started. In those days, you couldn't hold a license if you were diabetic. I am no longer diabetic, but there's no way in the world that I could afford to take it up again. Back then, you rented the aeroplane for $20/hour, and the instruction was free. By that I mean that if you were a licensed pilot and wanted to rent an aeroplane, it cost $20/hour. The fee was exactly the same for lessons. The ones here that I'm envious of (not jealous, since that implies some resentment) are Andre, Cyrus, Fred, Integral, and a couple of others who actually get to strap on the iron birds and go sky-dancing.

Welcome Shawn! You are going to love it here :biggrin:

Related to Welcome Shawn! Learning Math & Physics for Meteorology

1. What is the purpose of "Welcome Shawn! Learning Math & Physics for Meteorology"?

The purpose of "Welcome Shawn! Learning Math & Physics for Meteorology" is to provide a comprehensive learning resource for individuals interested in meteorology, specifically focusing on the mathematical and physical concepts that are essential for understanding weather patterns and phenomena.

2. Who is the intended audience for "Welcome Shawn! Learning Math & Physics for Meteorology"?

The intended audience for "Welcome Shawn! Learning Math & Physics for Meteorology" is anyone with a basic understanding of math and science who is interested in pursuing a career in meteorology or simply wants to learn more about the subject.

3. What topics are covered in "Welcome Shawn! Learning Math & Physics for Meteorology"?

Some of the topics covered in "Welcome Shawn! Learning Math & Physics for Meteorology" include atmospheric dynamics, thermodynamics, radiation, and precipitation. It also covers important mathematical concepts such as calculus, algebra, and statistics.

4. Are there any prerequisites for using "Welcome Shawn! Learning Math & Physics for Meteorology"?

While there are no strict prerequisites for using "Welcome Shawn! Learning Math & Physics for Meteorology", a basic understanding of high school level math and science concepts will be helpful in fully comprehending the material.

5. Is "Welcome Shawn! Learning Math & Physics for Meteorology" suitable for self-study?

Yes, "Welcome Shawn! Learning Math & Physics for Meteorology" is suitable for self-study. The material is presented in a clear and organized manner, making it easy for individuals to learn at their own pace.