Virginia Tech - Counselling documents

• Thread starter rootX
  • Start date
In summary, Cho met a counselor in December 2005 after expressing suicidal thoughts and was released the next day with no further treatment. Some survivors and families of the victims say they are more concerned about the treatment Cho received at the counseling centre and the lack of indication that he would commit violence.
rootX
Could his counseling be improved?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8211289.stm

Cho met counsellor Sherry Lynch in December 2005 after he was detained in a mental hospital overnight because he had expressed thoughts of suicide.

"He denies suicidal and/or homicidal thoughts. Said the comment he made was a joke. Says he has not reason to harm self and would never do it," Ms Conrad wrote in her evaluation.

She urged him to return for counselling the following term. He was not seen again by the centre.

In above, they assumed that he did not intend to kill himself because he said so. But, I think it is quite obvious that anyone would say that to avoid mental hospital.

But some survivors, and families of the victims, say they are more concerned about the treatment Cho received at the counselling centre.

While most of the survivors and relatives of the victims accepted an $11m (£6.6m) settlement from the state in April 2008, two families earlier this year took out a civil suit against the state, the school and its counselling centre.

Physics news on Phys.org
rootX said:
Could his counseling be improved?

Who knows? The article makes no specific mention of how he was treated or what transpired in counseling, beyond the cursory fact that he went to counseling, assured staff he was no suicidal and was released the next day. This is meaningless without further context.

Honestly this article seems little more than a media tactic to suck a few remaining dollars out of a dead story in the absence of real news.

I agree, junglebeast. We're supposed to make conclusions about Cho, or the quality of his counseling, based on a single-sentence quote?

- Warren

And highlighting the problematic nature of interpreting that...
rootX said:
In above, they assumed that he did not intend to kill himself because he said so.
Where, exactly, are you seeing that? From what I see, they make no specific judgement on that, but do recommend further treatment due to depression.

russ_watters said:
And highlighting the problematic nature of interpreting that...
Where, exactly, are you seeing that? From what I see, they make no specific judgement on that, but do recommend further treatment due to depression.

I agree I interpreted it bit wrong.

I was looking
The records indicate the therapists found Cho depressed and anxious but saw no evidence he would commit violence.

where I thought

"He denies suicidal and/or homicidal thoughts. Said the comment he made was a joke. Says he has not reason to harm self and would never do it," Ms Conrad wrote in her evaluation.

is that evidence.

And,
two families earlier this year took out a civil suit against the state, the school and its counselling centre.
for concluding that his treatment might not be good.

rootX said:
In above, they assumed that he did not intend to kill himself because he said so. But, I think it is quite obvious that anyone would say that to avoid mental hospital.

You can not simply hold someone against their will. You have to have damn good reason to do so. Whether or not a person saying "I am not going to kill myself" is good enough to release them is legally irrelevant. Whether or not they had evidence that was good enough to continue holding him is the only real determining factor.

rootX said:
II was looking

where I thought

is that evidence.
Well who knows? You might be right that that's where it came from. In that case, the reporter read too far into it! (though the statement by the reporter isn't all that strong*). Who says reporters are smart?

*And then:
TSE said:
You can not simply hold someone against their will. You have to have damn good reason to do so.
Right, so the statement that they found no evidence might only be saying that they have no justification for holding him and not have anything to do with whether the counselor actually believes he is or isn't suicidal. That kind of wording is probably very precisely chosen - the counselor really doesn't have the latitude to express much of an opinion there. There are guidelines for how they can act and what conclusions they are allowed to draw.

Related to Virginia Tech - Counselling documents

1. What are the "Counselling documents" at Virginia Tech?

The "Counselling documents" at Virginia Tech refer to the various resources and services available to students seeking mental health support and guidance. These may include individual therapy sessions, group therapy, workshops, and other forms of support.

2. How can students access these counselling documents at Virginia Tech?

Students can access the counselling documents at Virginia Tech by scheduling an appointment with a counsellor, either through the university's counselling center or through their own academic department. They can also attend workshops and group therapy sessions without an appointment.

3. Are there any fees for using the counselling documents at Virginia Tech?

There are no additional fees for using the counselling documents at Virginia Tech. The services are covered by the student's tuition and fees.

4. What types of issues are addressed in the counselling documents at Virginia Tech?

The counselling documents at Virginia Tech cover a wide range of issues, including but not limited to anxiety, depression, stress management, relationship concerns, and academic challenges. The counsellors are trained to support students with any issue they may be facing.

5. Are the counselling documents at Virginia Tech confidential?

Yes, the counselling documents at Virginia Tech are confidential. Information shared during counselling sessions is protected by federal and state laws, and will not be disclosed without the student's written consent, except in cases of imminent harm to the student or others.