Tribute to those lost at Va Tech.

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lost
In summary: Lots of people are saying that if there were any warning signs, they should have been picked up. I feel really sorry for the victims' families.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Remembering Virginia Tech's Shooting Victims
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9618673

Ross Alameddine
Sophomore, English Major

Christopher James Bishop
German Instructor

Brian Bluhm
Graduate student working toward a master's degree in water resources

Ryan Clark
Senior, Biology, English and Psychology Major

Daniel Perez Cueva
Student, International Relations Major

Kevin Granata
Professor, Engineering Science and Mechanics
Age: 45 - professor of engineering science and mechanics. He had served in the military and later conducted orthopedic research in hospitals before coming to Virginia Tech. He and his students researched muscle and reflex response and robotics. Ishwar Puri, head of the school's engineering science and mechanics department, says Granata was one of the top five biomechanics researchers in the country, and was working on movement dynamics in cerebral palsy.

Matthew Gwaltney
Gwaltney, 24, of Chester, Va., Graduate student in civil and environmental engineering.

Rachael Elizabeth Hill
Hill, 18, Freshman

Caitlin Hammaren
Sophomore, International Studies and French Major

Emily Hilscher
Freshman, Animal and Poultry Sciences Major

Jarrett Lane
Student

Matthew LaPorte
Freshman, University Studies Major

Henry Lee
Freshman, Computer Engineering Major

Liviu Librescu
Professor of Engineering
Age: 76 - Students say Librescu tried to keep the gunman from entering the room so that others could jump out of the windows to save themselves.

Born and educated in Romania, Librescu was internationally known for his research in aeronautical engineering. He was a Holocaust survivor; Monday was Holocaust Remembrance Day. Engineering department head Ishwar Puri said Librescu, who was born in a communist country, had a "great thirst for freedom."

G. V. Loganathan
Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Age: 51 - professor of civil and environmental engineering. He was born in southern India and had been a professor at Virginia Tech since 1982. He taught courses in hydraulics, hydrology and water resources engineering and was a core adviser for undergraduates in the department. His students described him as one of their favorites, and he received several awards for excellence in teaching. On a Virginia Tech Web site, one colleague, Dr. William Knocke, described Loganathan as "truly one of the most outstanding classroom educators within the College of Engineering."

Partahi Lumbantoruan
Lumbantoruan, 34, Civil engineering doctoral student from Indonesia.

Lauren McCain
McCain, 20, of Hampton, Va., International studies major.

Daniel O'Neil
O'Neil, 22, Engineering graduate student from Lincoln, R.I.

Juan Ortiz
Ortiz, 26, Graduate student studying civil engineering, was from Puerto Rico.

Minal Panchal
Panchal, 26, Graduate student from India who wanted to become an architect.

Erin Nichole Peterson
Freshman, International Studies Major

Michael Pohle Jr.
Pohle, 23, biology major

Julia Pryde
Pryde, 23, was a graduate student from Middletown, N.J.

Mary Karen Read
Read, 19

Waleed Mohamed Shaalan
Shaalan, originally from Egypt, Doctoral student in civil engineering.

Reema Samaha
Freshman

Leslie Sherman
Sophomore, History and International Relations Major

Maxine Turner
Senior, Chemical Engineering Major
Turner was from Vienna, Va.

Nicole White
White, 20, was a junior majoring in international studies.

Accomplished professors and instructors, and students just starting their academic or professional careers. I grieve for these people and their families and friends. :frown:

It difficult to write with tears in one's eyes. :cry:

Let us not forget them. :frown:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My professor knew Liviu Librescu. He mentioned him in class today. He did work in Dynamics and theory of plates/shells.

My lab partner also knew one of the girls that was killed. She went to his church.

...I didnt know any of them though.

http://www.esm.vt.edu/php/genpic.php?id=10023
Interests:
Foundation and applications of the modern theory of shells incorporating non-classical effects and composed of advanced composite materials; Foundation of the theory and applications of sandwich type structures; Aeroelastic stability of flight vehicle structures;. Nonlinear aeroelasticity of structures in supersonic and hypersonic flow fields; Aeroelastic and structural tailoring; Dynamic response and instability of elastic and viscoelastic laminated composite structures subjected to deterministic and random loading systems; Mechanical and thermal postbuckling of flat and curved shear-deformable elastic panels; Static, dynamic and aeroelastic feedback control of adaptive structures; Unsteady aerodynamics and magnetoaerodynamics of supersonic flows with applications; Optimization problems of aeroelastic structural systems; Theory of composite thin-walled beams and its application in aeronautical and mechanical constructions; Response and behavior of structures to underwater and in-air explosions; Multifunctional and Functionally Graded material structures.

The guy was also a holocaust survivor.

That kid was a real stupid POS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the professor that you mentioned Cyrus gave his life for the safety of his students. He blocked the door with his own body and told the students to jump out the windows. Wow.

It's a terrible loss and so senseless.

I'm a Virginia Tech alum, and remember it as one of the most beautiful, relaxing, and inspiring places I've ever lived. Many other students agreed with me -- its community was the most highly spirited group of people I've ever been honored to call myself a part. It might sound trite to many people, but I really, truly love Virginia Tech, and it so deeply saddens me to see this kind of disgusting atrocity occur there.

My heart goes out to everyone there who lost a loved one, friend, or teacher today. I hope that the university community will find a way to regroup, rejoin, and let this event enter the history books with due reverence, but without losing the sense of belonging and purpose provided by this incredible institution.

Moderator note: I intend on deleting any posts in this thread about gun laws or politics in general. If you must debate some aspect of the massacre, please find another place to do it.

- Warren

A engineer, a guitarist, a survivor, a dancer, a teacher, a best friend, a animal lover. These people were so many things, some of great importance, some of humane importance, but all very important. The world is a little less brighter these past few days.
For those who remain, there tasks, to rekindle fires, to fill the gaps and to ease the fear, will be monumental. Gods speed to all this has effected.

i didn't see any of them,but i feel sad for them

This was such a terribly tragedy, so many senseless deaths.

A senseless tragedy that ended so many lives, far too early. Sincerest condolences to everyone touched by this incident.

Such a tragic loss. So many people gone...

This song came on as I was reading this thread. It seems quite relevant. It always has a strong effect on me, especially at times like this.
Pearl Jam- Jeremy

"...you kill yourself and you make a big old sacrifice and try to get your revenge. ... it does nothing...nothing changes. The world goes on and you're gone. The best revenge is to live on and prove yourself. Be stronger than those people. And then you can come back."
Eddie Vedder on 'Jeremy'

I wonder if hearing this would have made a difference...

Our hearts go out to all who lost friends or family members and of course to the victims of this senseless tragedy. But I am also moved by the heroism and composure of those involved. As often happens, tragedy can bring out the best in people. As much as the insane actions of a madman deeply saddens us, the heroes of Va. Tech have made us all proud.

A couple people were left out from the original list...

I actually knew one of the girls who was shot and killed. Didn't know her too well, but we went to the same middle school and high school, rode the bus together in middle school, and I think I had a class with her in high school, talked to her maybe a couple of times. I just remember she was a really nice person, quiet, but the kind of person who seemed like she was going to end up doing something really great in life, who would become a real success.

It sickens me to think that this happened to her, as well as the rest of these completely innocent young people. I hope they are all now at peace.

Are you sure it was a she or a he ?
What would you advise her to continue if she was ending great stuff ?

usahockey said:
A couple people were left out from the original list...

I actually knew one of the girls who was shot and killed. Didn't know her too well, but we went to the same middle school and high school, rode the bus together in middle school, and I think I had a class with her in high school, talked to her maybe a couple of times. I just remember she was a really nice person, quiet, but the kind of person who seemed like she was going to end up doing something really great in life, who would become a real success.

It sickens me to think that this happened to her, as well as the rest of these completely innocent young people. I hope they are all now at peace.

just keep the memory,so that she will still live in our mind peaceful.

i'm really glad to see a thread cast in this direction, and almost started one twice tosay. But it was skewed towards the clinical, seemed inappropriate, and in no way embraced the shock and mourning. I just want to thank Astronuk for breaking the ice in such a mindful way.

Ross Alameddine uncle is my classical electrodynamics teacher here in my university, his grandmother died 2 days before the shooting, they say tragedies come in packages, I can only wonder how my teacher feels for losing his mother and nephew in a matter of days..

Thanks Astronuc for starting this thread. It is sad and tragic. It's going to take a long time for the families of those lost to heal from this, and my thoughts go out to them in their time of need. We're not all that far from VA Tech...close enough that we have students here likely to have friends and former high school classmates who attend(ed) VA Tech, and faculty colleagues/collaborators there, so the university has made counseling available for any of our faculty or students who are in need of it too.

It was a little sad for me reading through the list and seeing the few names that stood out because they didn't have any comment from friends or family about the person.

As one of the pastor's of one student said, and I think it really applies to all involved, the greatest loss in a tragedy involving so many young people is the loss of the potential they had to bring great things to the world. I especially look at the description of that one student who had a triple major (and not in easy or closely related subjects either) and only a short time from graduation, and think he could have done great things with that much motivation and intelligence...someone who stood out from that list as an exceptional student.

My condolences to all who have been affected by these losses.

Related to Tribute to those lost at Va Tech.

1. What is the significance of a tribute to those lost at Va Tech?

The tribute serves as a way to honor and remember the lives of the individuals who tragically lost their lives at Virginia Tech on April 16, 2007.

2. Who organizes and plans the tribute?

The tribute is typically planned and organized by a committee made up of members from the university, community, and families of the victims.

3. Is the tribute held annually?

Yes, the tribute is typically held every year on the anniversary of the tragic event.

4. What are some common ways to pay tribute to those lost at Va Tech?

Some common ways to pay tribute include holding a moment of silence, placing flowers or wreaths at a memorial site, and participating in a memorial run or walk.

5. How can individuals support the tribute to those lost at Va Tech?

Individuals can support the tribute by attending the event, making a donation to the memorial fund, or volunteering to help with planning and organizing the tribute.