Vertical displacement with time of a projectile

hello478
Homework Statement
image below
Relevant Equations
suvat equations
1712082628977.png

my answer was D, which is correct considering the motion downwards eg, object thrown from a cliff
but what if an object is moving up?like a football being kicked?
i cant understand how this graph applies to that...

Physics news on Phys.org
What can you say about the components of the velocity in each direction from the 4 graphs?

hello478 said:
It doesn't necessarily have to. It didn't say that a single graph must apply to all possible scenarios. If you were shown four pictures and asked which one was a dog, then you could identify the dog. But, it doesn't mean all dogs look like that. If it's a chihuahua, then it doesn't look like a St Bernard.

hello478 said:
my answer was D, which is correct considering the motion downwards eg, object thrown from a cliff
I would have said D is a rocket accelerating upwards.

To what @PeroK said, I would add that none of the 4 plots shows the correct horizontal displacement vs. time. Do you see why that is the case?

kuruman said:
To what @PeroK said, I would add that none of the 4 plots shows the correct horizontal displacement vs. time. Do you see why that is the case?
the correct horizontal displacement with time would be a straight line passing from origin

hello478 said:
the correct horizontal displacement with time would be a straight line passing from origin
RIght. Do you see any straight lines?

kuruman said:
RIght. Do you see any straight lines?
no
but i was asking
hello478 said:
but what if an object is moving up?like a football being kicked?
i do know the answer i D
but can you explain how the graph relates to an object moving up in a projectile...

hello478 said:
but i was asking
I know what you were asking. I wanted to make sure that you understand why A and C cannot be correct because they lines are not straight.

Now how do you know that the answer is D? If you toss a rock with some initial horizontal and vertical velocity it will go across at constant velocity while, in the vertical direction, it goes up and then back down. Which of the two graphs looks like that is the case, B or D?

Last edited:
Likes MatinSAR and jbriggs444
hello478 said:
Are you saying that graphs B and D are inverted, i.e. that a downward displacement is positive?
How do you know that? It does not say so. If you choose instead that up is positive then that makes the correct answer B.

haruspex said:
Are you saying that graphs B and D are inverted, i.e. that a downward displacement is positive?
How do you know that? It does not say so. If you choose instead that up is positive then that makes the correct answer B.
Except that the question itself does not say "projectile motion". And, graph B has non-zero initial velocity.

PeroK said:
Except that the question itself does not say "projectile motion". And, graph B has non-zero initial velocity.
True, which means that when it says it moves from rest with uniform velocity horizontally it intends that that velocity is purely horizontal. I had read it as unspecified vertical velocity. With my reading and a vertical acceleration that could be up or down both B and D could be correct.

haruspex said:
True, which means that when it says it moves from rest with uniform velocity horizontally it intends that that velocity is purely horizontal. I had read it as unspecified vertical velocity. With my reading and a vertical acceleration that could be up or down both B and D could be correct.
I missed that. Another mess of a question.

There is nothing wrong with the question. Since it moves from rest the initial slope of the graph must be zero. Choice B lacks that feature. It shows an object with a nonzero initial velocity.

Likes pbuk
Mister T said:
Since it moves from rest the initial slope of the graph must be zero.
It is not clear what is meant by "moves from rest". That conflicts with "constant horizontal velocity" unless that is zero.

Calm down everyone, there is nothing wrong with this question.
  • At time t = 0 the object is at rest.
  • At time t > 0 the horizontal component of velocity is constant so the magnitude of the horizontal displacement increases linearly wrt time. This rules out answers A and C.
  • At time t > 0 the magnitude of the vertical component of velocity is increasing at a constant rate so the magnitude of the displacement increases quadratically wrt time. This rules out answer B.
  • This leaves the answer D, which can be interpreted either as the vertical displacement downwards of an object falling under gravity or as the vertical displacement upwards of a rocket accelerating upwards at a constant rate.
Note that answer B does meet the criterion "uniform acceleration vertically" where that acceleration opposes an initial velocity (e.g. for an object thrown upwards) but the question states that the object has no initial velocity: it is at rest.

haruspex said:
It is not clear what is meant by "moves from rest".
It means that at t = 0 velocity is zero.
haruspex said:
That conflicts with "constant horizontal velocity"
No it doesn't, because this describes the situation when t > 0. Of course if the constant horizontal velocity is non-zero for t > 0 then horizontal acceleration at t = 0 would be infinite, but there is nothing in the question to rule this out, whereas if you want to interpret answer B as correct then vertical acceleration at t = 0 would be infinite, contradicting the stipulation of the question that vertical acceleration is constant.

pbuk said:
At time t = 0 the object is at rest.
At time t > 0 the horizontal component of velocity is constant zero so the magnitude of the horizontal displacement increases linearly wrt time is zero. This rules out answers A and C.

pbuk said:
At time t > 0 the magnitude of the vertical component of velocity is increasing
Not if there is an initial vertical velocity with the opposite sign to the acceleration.

haruspex said:
Not if there is an initial vertical velocity with the opposite sign to the acceleration.
The question states that there is no initial vertical velocity ("an object moves from rest").

No, the horizontal component of velocity is not necessarily zero, see #17.

In life we have to answer the questions we are given, not the questions that we wish we had been given.

As advisors on this forum we should remember this.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
pbuk said:
It means that at t = 0 velocity is zero.

No it doesn't, because this describes the situation when t > 0. Of course if the constant horizontal velocity is non-zero for t > 0 then horizontal acceleration at t = 0 would be infinite, but there is nothing in the question to rule this out, whereas if you want to interpret answer B as correct then vertical acceleration at t = 0 would be infinite, contradicting the stipulation of the question that vertical acceleration is constant.
If you can have a non-zero initial horizontal component, then you can have a non-zero initial vertical component, in which case both B and D are valid.

The question is a mess.

pbuk said:
In life we have to answer the questions we are given, not the questions that we wish we had been given.
The students are entitled to better. It's not enough to say "I wrote the question and I understand what I meant and anyone who can't figure out my arbitrary carelessness with kinematic data gets no marks".

Likes MatinSAR
PeroK said:
If you can have a non-zero initial horizontal component, then you can have a non-zero initial vertical component, in which case both B and D are valid.
But you can't have a non-zero initial horizontal component ("an object moves from rest"), nor a non-zero initial vertical component, and so B is not valid.

pbuk said:
But you can't have a non-zero initial horizontal component ("an object moves from rest"), nor a non-zero initial vertical component, and so B is not valid.
That's what we all thought, until you starting telling us we were wrong:

pbuk said:
  • At time t > 0 the horizontal component of velocity is constant so the magnitude of the horizontal displacement increases linearly wrt time. This rules out answers A and C.
  • At time t > 0 the magnitude of the vertical component of velocity is increasing at a constant rate so the magnitude of the displacement increases quadratically wrt time. This rules out answer B.
  • This leaves the answer D, which can be interpreted either as the vertical displacement downwards of an object falling under gravity or as the vertical displacement upwards of a rocket accelerating upwards at a constant rate.
Note that answer B does meet the criterion "uniform acceleration vertically" where that acceleration opposes an initial velocity (e.g. for an object thrown upwards) but the question states that the object has no initial velocity: it is at rest.
Your position is self-contradictory, as shown by the two contradictory statements I've underlined.

PeroK said:
Your position is self-contradictory, as shown by the two contradictory statements I've underlined.
  1. At t = 0 the object is at rest
  2. At t > 0 the object has constant horizontal velocity.
Where is the contradiction?

pbuk said:
That contradicts your second assertion that the object has no vertical velocity for ##t > 0##.

pbuk said:
And, with all due respect, I highlighted two statements in your post. Not just one.

pbuk said:
You cannot have it both ways. If being at rest at ##t=0## with a discontinuous change at ##t>0## is allowed for the horizontal velocity then surely the same can be true for the vertical velocity.

This makes the stipulation that the object is at rest at ##t=0## irrelevant. That means that the wording is bad.

If the problem had mentioned an unknown horizontal impulse at ##t=0##, all would have been well.

Likes PeroK
PeroK said:
That contradicts your second assertion that the object has no vertical velocity for ##t > 0##.
Where did I assert that? I asserted (or rather I repeated the statement in the question) that the object has no vertical velocity for t = 0.

jbriggs444 said:
You cannot have it both ways. If being at rest at ##t=0## with a discontinuous change at ##t>0## is allowed for the horizontal velocity then surely the same can be true for the vertical velocity.
That would be the case if being at rest at ## t = 0 ## were the only condition, however there is another condition that vertical acceleration is constant, ruling out an initial discontinuity.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
pbuk said:
Where did I assert that? I asserted (or rather I repeated the statement in the question) that the object has no vertical velocity for t = 0.
In your argument to rule out graph B?

Anyway, that fact that three senior HH are criticising this problem is enough in itself.

pbuk said:
That would be the case if being at rest at ## t = 0 ## were the only condition, however there is another condition that vertical acceleration is constant, ruling out an initial discontinuity.
This is my objection. That's an arbirrary interpretation of kinematic data. A linear graph for horizontal displacement does not represent an object initially at rest. A linear graph represents an object with an initial horizontal component of velocity.

pbuk said:
Technically, that is not the case.

If the object is "at rest" at ##t=0## this means that we are contemplating times before the start of the problem. If we were only contemplating ##t \ge 0## then there would be no sense in which the object is at rest. Its horizontal velocity is constant at ##t>0##. Its [one-sided] horizontal velocity at ##t=0## is the same.

But you say that the object is initially at rest. So we must be contemplating negative times.

Velocity is the first derivative of displacement. It cannot change discontinuously from one constant value to another. The mean value theorem forbids it. So horizontal velocity is undefined at ##t=0##.

The same argument applied to vertical acceleration. It is a derivative. It cannot change discontinuously from one constant value to another. The mean value theorem forbids it. So vertical acceleration is undefined at ##t=0##.

So there is no initial discontinuity. Only a point at which both velocity and acceleration are undefined. Which makes the stipulation that the object begins at rest irrelevant.

Likes PeroK
PeroK said:
In your argument to rule out graph B?
Are you referring to this:
pbuk said:
But you can't have a .... non-zero initial vertical component, and so B is not valid.
Here I talk about the initial velocity i.e. at ## t = 0 ##, not when ## t > 0 ##.

PeroK said:
Anyway, that fact that three senior HH are criticising this problem is enough in itself.
Not all HH in this thread share your view that the problem is "a mess".

PeroK said:
This is my objection. That's an arbirrary interpretation of kinematic data. A linear graph for horizontal displacement does not represent an object initially at rest. A linear graph represents an object with an initial horizontal component of velocity.
But there is no linear graph!