Velocity in fiber optics cable

You will need to use this definition to determine the time it takes for a pulse to travel through the cable. Additionally, you are correct in thinking that the group velocity may be useful. However, if it has not been taught in class, there may be another approach to solving the problem. Keep thinking and exploring different options. Good luck!In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in an optics class regarding the time it takes for two light pulses with different wavelengths to travel through a 1 km long fiber. The refractive index of the fiber for different frequencies is given, and the use of group velocity is suggested but not yet taught in class. The student is seeking guidance on how to approach the problem.
mmanu

Homework Statement

I'm taking an introduction course in optics and I came across this exercise which I can't find how to solve:
"Two light pulses with different wave lengths 500 and 600 nm is sent into a 1 km long fiber.
n(610 nm) = 1.399, n(600 nm) = 1.400, n(510 nm) = 1.448, n(500) = 1.45.
When will the two pulses come out of the fiber relative to each other?"
(Hopefully the translation is OK..)

Homework Equations

I suspect that I might need to use group velocity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_velocity), but this has not been taught in the class so far, so perhaps there is an easier way to tackle the problem??

The Attempt at a Solution

Nothing that has ended up embarrassingly wrong... :/

Thanks in advance!

BR
/Manu

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums, mmanu.

So you have been given the refractive index of the fibre optic cable for a range of frequencies. How is the refractive index defined?

Related to Velocity in fiber optics cable

1. What is the velocity of light in fiber optics cable?

The velocity of light in fiber optics cable is approximately 2/3 the speed of light in a vacuum, which is approximately 200,000 kilometers per second.

2. How does the velocity of light in fiber optics cable compare to other transmission mediums?

The velocity of light in fiber optics cable is significantly faster than in other transmission mediums such as copper wire (which is about 2/3 the speed of light in a vacuum) and wireless signals (which travel at the speed of light).

3. Does the velocity of light in fiber optics cable affect the data transmission speed?

Yes, the velocity of light in fiber optics cable is an important factor in determining the data transmission speed. The faster the velocity, the quicker the data can be transmitted through the cable.

4. How is the velocity of light in fiber optics cable measured?

The velocity of light in fiber optics cable is typically measured using an optical time-domain reflectometer (OTDR) which sends a pulse of light through the cable and measures the time it takes for the light to return. The velocity is then calculated using the distance traveled and the time it took to travel.

5. Can the velocity of light in fiber optics cable be affected by external factors?

Yes, the velocity of light in fiber optics cable can be affected by external factors such as temperature and bending of the cable. These factors can cause changes in the refractive index of the cable, which in turn can affect the velocity of light.