Finding Cable Tension in Elevator w/ Initial Velocity

In summary, the question is asking for the magnitude of tension in a cable that is raising an elevator with a small initial upward velocity. The tension is constant and the method used should be accurate to two significant figures. Using the equation PE = mass * acceleration * height, the attempt at a solution was to find the tension by setting it equal to MA, resulting in 600N. However, this was not the correct answer. The conversation ends with confusion about what to do with the given change in height and the feeling that the question may be incomplete.
adhoward24

Homework Statement

An elevator with a small initial upward velocity being raised by a cable. The tension in the cable is constant. Find the magnitude of the tension in the cable. Be certain that the method you are using will be accurate to two significant figures.

Acceleration=10 m/s^2
Mass=60kg
Change in height = 4m

Homework Equations

PE=Mass*Acceleration*height

The Attempt at a Solution

Isn't Tension equal to MA? I try that but that's 600 N and that's not the correct answers.

Sorry i don't know the answer i just know that that's not right.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
what is the answer? is it on the book? I calculated it by saying T-W = 60(10).. seems okay to me, not sure though

I don't know what to do with the change in height :S

Yea me too, i don't know why the question provided the "h" value, and there is a value for acceleration also,,

Feels like the question is not complete,

Related to Finding Cable Tension in Elevator w/ Initial Velocity

1. What is the purpose of finding cable tension in an elevator with initial velocity?

The purpose of finding cable tension in an elevator with initial velocity is to ensure that the elevator is functioning safely and efficiently. Knowing the tension in the cables allows for proper maintenance and adjustments to be made, preventing any potential accidents or malfunctions.

2. How is cable tension in an elevator with initial velocity calculated?

Cable tension in an elevator with initial velocity is calculated using the formula T = mg + ma, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the elevator and its occupants, g is the gravitational acceleration, and a is the acceleration of the elevator. This formula takes into account the weight of the elevator and its occupants as well as the force needed to accelerate the elevator.

3. What factors can affect the cable tension in an elevator with initial velocity?

The cable tension in an elevator with initial velocity can be affected by the weight of the elevator and its occupants, the acceleration or deceleration of the elevator, and any external forces such as wind or friction. It can also be affected by the condition of the cables and the pulley system.

4. Why is it important to consider initial velocity when calculating cable tension in an elevator?

Initial velocity is an important factor to consider when calculating cable tension in an elevator because it affects the overall force and acceleration of the elevator. If the initial velocity is high, it will require more force to stop or slow down the elevator, thus increasing the tension in the cables. This information is crucial for maintaining the safe operation of the elevator.

5. How is the calculated cable tension used in the maintenance of elevators?

The calculated cable tension is used in the maintenance of elevators to ensure that the tension is within the recommended range for the specific elevator model. If the tension is too high, adjustments can be made to the cables or pulley system to reduce it. If the tension is too low, it may indicate a problem with the cables that requires repair or replacement. Regularly monitoring and adjusting the cable tension helps to prevent accidents and prolong the lifespan of the elevator.