Using Moseley's Law to Calculate Kalpha2 for Lead with Z=82

• Thread starter mss90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, using Moseley's Law, the energy of Kalpha2 for lead with atomic number 82 can be calculated by averaging the values of Kalpha2 for copper and tin using the formula E=k(Z-1)^2. The average value of k can then be used to calculate the energy of Kalpha2 for lead.
mss90

Homework Statement

I need to use Mosley law to find Kalpha2 for lead where Z=82

What i know is that copper (z=29) and tin (z=50) have kalpha2 of 8.03 and 25 KeV respectively

Homework Equations

Mosley law

The Attempt at a Solution

Could someone give me a hint please

Physics news on Phys.org
Try a google search, using the correct spelling, Moseley's Law. You had it correct in the title line.

You'll find the formula here, and it checks out with the data you provided. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/moseley.html

(Disclaimer. I have no idea how realistic it is to apply that formula to values of Z as high as 82.)

just use; sqrt{f} = k_1 * (Z - k_2)

f=E/h then add inn the constant and the energy but what i don't understand is how knowing those two (for Cu and Sn) can help with finding the third?

Also where can i acquire the constants? It just states;
f8984e9f90ef34fde9f0ff38f03179d7.png
and
6bba165b44a6dbc13beeebb8b4edce0e.png
are constants that depend on the type of line

thanks

I think it is all in the article I linked to. Perhaps you didn't scroll down?

By substituting Z for Cu and Sn you can confirm that the equation works and gives the energy in eV just as you require.

okay so k1=2.47*10^15 and k2 = 1 for kalpha?
How does knowing the energies for these 2 other elements help me figure it out? I am not getting this :P

Also, the question is talking about Kapha2 not just Kalpha, does that matter?

Could you please post a jpeg of the question as it's been given to you.

upload_2014-11-14_13-6-40.png

Attachments

• upload_2014-11-14_13-6-0.png
    upload_2014-11-14_13-6-0.png
    934 bytes · Views: 432
Okay. Here's my take on this ... and I could be wrong.

I think Moseley's Law equation is all that's called for. The difference in transition energies Kα1 and Kα2 is tiny and it suffices to use Moseley's formula as for Kα. (For an explanation of the doublets, refer to the diagram here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-alpha )

Maybe the examiners didn't expect students to have memorised the constants in the formula, just the bare relationship
E = k(Z - 1)2

So, by providing you with a couple of its results, you can determine k on the spot without having memorised it. Finally, using the value of k you calculated or had memorised apply Moseley's equation for atomic number 82 and determine Kα.

Sound plausible?

E=k(Z-1)2 ó k=(Z-1)2/E
(29-1)2/8.03=97.63

(50-1)2/25 =96.04

theyr pretty close but not identical so could i just the average for K to figure out the energy for lead?

ye i saw that table as well, thanks

mss90 said:
E=k(Z-1)2 ó k=(Z-1)2/E
(29-1)2/8.03=97.63

(50-1)2/25 =96.04

theyr pretty close but not identical so could i just the average for K to figure out the energy for lead?
That sounds like a good experimental approach.

What year of the physics course is this test paper?

E=k(Z-1)2 hence E=96.835(82-1)2 = 635334.435J its pretty high right? I am guessing its in joules
when converting I am getting 3.9654458121e+24eV doesn't compare with the table

Your post #1 indicates your working is in keV!

NascentOxygen said:
Your post #1 indicates your working is in keV!
Ye but it still doesn't line up, right?

mss90 said:
E=k(Z-1)2 ó k=(Z-1)2/E
You haven't rearranged this correctly to isolate k.

aaah that's embarrassing, its E on top :p
E=k(Z-1)2 ó k=E/(Z-1)2
8.03 / (29-1)2=0.0102
25 / (50-1)2 =0.0104

Average = 0.0102+0.0104/2=0.0103
E=k(Z-1)2 hence E=0.0103 *(82-1)2 = 64.32KeV

Related to Using Moseley's Law to Calculate Kalpha2 for Lead with Z=82

1. What is Moseley's law?

Moseley's law, also known as Moseley's law of X-ray spectra or Moseley's law of atomic numbers, is an empirical law in physics that relates the atomic number of an element to the frequencies of the X-rays emitted by that element.

2. Who discovered Moseley's law?

Moseley's law was discovered by British physicist Henry Moseley in 1913, while he was studying the X-ray spectra of different elements.

3. How does Moseley's law relate to the periodic table?

Moseley's law states that the square root of the frequency of the X-ray emitted by an element is directly proportional to its atomic number. This means that elements with higher atomic numbers will have higher X-ray frequencies, and this relationship follows the order of elements in the periodic table.

4. What is the significance of Moseley's law?

Moseley's law helped to fill a gap in the periodic table by accurately predicting the existence and properties of several missing elements. It also provided a more precise understanding of the atomic structure and helped to confirm the arrangement of elements in the periodic table based on their atomic numbers.

5. How is Moseley's law used in modern science?

Moseley's law is still used in modern science as a tool for identifying and studying the properties of different elements. It is also used in X-ray spectroscopy techniques, such as X-ray diffraction and X-ray fluorescence, which are important methods for analyzing the structures and compositions of materials.