What is the Charge Density in the Region 0<z<1 Using Gauss's Law?

In summary, the electric field in the region -1<z<1 is directed in the +z direction for z>1 , but there is a constant electric field in the +z direction for z>1 . There is no charge anywhere in z>1 .
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

charge.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In the region |z|<1 ,

E(z) = -dV/dz = 10zk

This means there is a variable electric field in the region -1<z<1 .In the +z region it is directed in the +z direction and vica versa .

For finding the charge density in the region 0<z<1, I need to apply Gauss's law . I am not supposed to use differential form of Gauss law .

Consider at a distance z from the origin a thin cuboid of side a×a and height ∆z .

The two square faces are at distances z1 and z2 , z2>z1

Flux through the closed cuboidal box would have a contribution from only these two square surfaces which are perpendicular to the electric field .

Net flux = E(at z2)a2 - E(at z1)a2 = 10a2z2-10a2z1

Applying Gauss law ∫E⋅ds= ρa2∆z/ε

10a2z2-10a2z1 = ρa2∆z/ε

10a2∆z = ρa2∆z/ε

ρ = 10ε in the region 0<z<1

Is that right ?

Please help me with this problem .

Attachments

• charge.png
    charge.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 636
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks correct to me.

Likes Jahnavi
Thank you very much .

Sorry , I had constantly been editing my work till I saw your reply (after posting the thread ) to make things clearer. I hope I haven't changed anything which you found correct and which is wrong now .

The electric field is directed in the +z direction for 0<z<1 .

For z>1 , there is a constant electric field in the +z direction .

Here I need to prove that there is no charge anywhere in z>1 .

For this I can again consider a cubical shaped box of dimensions a×a×a , such that there will be two square surfaces perpendicular to the electric field .

Since the electric field is constant the net flux through the closed cubical surface would be zero .

Applying Gauss law the net charge enclosed would be zero .

This means there would be no charge anywhere in the region z>1 .

Is that sufficient reasoning ?

Would 1) be the correct option ?

That looks good. Strictly speaking, I think your arguments yield the average charge density, ρavg, in the rectangular boxes you used. But it should be easy to go on to argue how to get the charge density, ρ, at any point.

Likes Jahnavi
TSny said:
But it should be easy to go on to argue how to get the charge density, ρ, at any point.

If we consider a cubical box of dimensions of infinitesimal length dx , dy , dz , do we get charge density at a point .Is this what you are indicating at ?

Jahnavi said:
If we consider a cubical box of dimensions of infinitesimal length dx , dy , dz , do we get charge density at a point .Is this what you are indicating at ?
Yes. Good work.

Likes Jahnavi
Thanks !

Related to What is the Charge Density in the Region 0<z<1 Using Gauss's Law?

What is potential?

Potential is a measure of the energy required to move a unit charge from one point to another in an electric field.

How is potential related to charge density?

Potential is directly proportional to charge density, meaning that as the charge density increases, the potential also increases. This is because a higher charge density creates a stronger electric field, resulting in a greater potential.

What is charge density?

Charge density is the amount of electric charge per unit volume of a material or object. It is typically measured in coulombs per cubic meter (C/m^3).

How is charge density calculated?

To calculate charge density, the total amount of charge in a given volume is divided by the volume itself. This can be expressed as ρ = Q/V, where ρ is the charge density, Q is the charge, and V is the volume.

Why is understanding potential and charge density important in science?

Understanding potential and charge density is crucial in understanding the behavior of electric fields and their effects on matter. This knowledge is essential in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering, and is necessary for developing technologies such as batteries and electronic devices.