Usage of partition function in derivation of Sackur-Tetrode

In summary, the partition function is introduced in the derivation of the Boltzmann distribution. Its physical significance lies in its relation to the entropy of a system. By using the canonical ensemble and the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, the entropy can be expressed as a function of the temperature and partition function. The canonical ensemble is derived from the microcanonical ensemble, which considers the equilibrium state of a closed system with a given total energy. The partition function is then obtained by integrating over the available microstates. To account for the indistinguishability of particles, a correction factor of 1/N! must be applied to the partition function.
georg gill
upload_2017-7-10_14-7-7.png

upload_2017-7-10_14-7-27.png

Why do they introduce the partition function. I have seen it in the derivation of the Boltzmann distribution. But I don't know the physical significance of it here? And how do they get to (L.11) after that? I get everything until L.7. Including L.7.

The rest of the proof is here just in case you are interested:
upload_2017-7-10_14-14-49.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The idea is to use the canonical ensemble. Then the classical partition sum is given by
$$Z_{\text{cl}}=\int \mathrm{d}^{3N} x \mathrm{d}^{3N} p \exp[-\beta H(x,p)]=q^N.$$
The phase-space probability distribution is the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution
$$f(x,p)=\frac{1}{Z} \exp[-\beta H(x,p)],$$
and thus the entropy from its information-theoretical definition
$$S=-\langle \ln f(x,p) \rangle=\ln Z+\langle \beta H \rangle=\ln Z+\beta U=\ln Z-\beta \partial_{\beta} U.$$
Now $$\beta=1/T$$ and thus
$$-\beta \partial_{\beta}U = -\frac{1}{T} \frac{\partial T}{\partial \beta} \partial_T U =+T \partial_T U$$
and thus
$$S=\partial_T (T \ln Z),$$
which is (L.16).

BTW: Which book is this from? It looks like a good one, judging from the small excerpt :-)).

Now using
$$\ln Z=N \ln q$$
you get
$$S_{\text{cl}}=N \ln \left (\frac{V}{\Lambda^3} \right)+\frac{3N}{2},$$
which is not extensive.

To solve this "Gibbs paradox" one has to consider the indistinguishability of particles. Since on average for the applicability of the Boltzmann statistics you shouldn't have more than 1 particle in each one-particle state (otherwise you must take into account Bose-Einstein or Fermi-Dirac statistics, as is also argued in your text), the indistinguishability is simply accounted for by deviding the classical partition sum by ##N!## since then you count all states that just differ by an arbitrary permutation of particles as only one (as it must be due to the indistinguishability of particles), you get
$$S=S_{\text{cl}}-\ln (N!) \simeq S_{\text{cl}} - (N \ln N-N)=N \ln \left (\frac{V}{N \Lambda^3} \right) + \frac{5 N}{2},$$
which is the Sackur-Tetrode formula. Note that now ##S## is extensive since ##V/N=1/n## is intensive!

BTW: From which book is this. It looks like a good one :-).

Likes georg gill
Thank you for the answer. I have now read about the canonical ensemble in this link

http://faculty.uca.edu/saddison/ThermalPhysics/CanonicalEnsemble.pdf

I believe they arrive at the canonical ensemble just before they start the part that is called Partitions functions and the Boltzmann distribution.
It is as far as I can see the ratio of number of cases of one energy state divided by sum of all number of cases. In the theory that I wrote at the first post in this thread it seems that they only use the denumerator, total number of cases of energy states, and not the numerator of the canonical ensemble in (L.8). But they also multiply with ##\frac{dW}{dE}##. What physical quantity is it that they get in (L.8)?

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
I think what you want is a derivation of the canonical ensemble from the microcanonical.

The microcanonical ensemble refers to a closed system, where we know that the conserved total energy is between ##U## and ##U+\delta U##. Given all the constraints, e.g., that a gas is confined in a given container of volume ##V## and that ##U## is in the above mentioned interval, the fundamental assumption of thermodynamics is that in equilbrium all the available microstates are found with equal probability.

Now let ##W(U)## be the number of microstates with an energy ##H(x,p)<U##, which is given by
$$W(U)=\int_{\mathbb{R}^{6N}} \mathrm{d}^{3N} x \mathrm{d}^{3N} p \frac{1}{h^{3N}} \Theta[U-H(x,p)].$$
Then the number of microstates in the energy shell considered above is
$$\Omega(U)=\delta U \frac{\partial W}{\partial U} = \delta U \int_{\mathbb{R}^{6N}} \mathrm{d}^{3N} x \mathrm{d}^{3N} p \frac{1}{h^{3N}} \delta[U-H(x,p)].$$
Now consider a small partial volume separated from the gas by a heat-conducting wall but inpenetrable for the gas particles and consider that still everything is in thermal equilibrium. Let's denote this subsystem with the label 1 and the rest system ("the heat bath") with label 2.

According to the fundamental principle the probability that part 1 has precise energy ##E_1## is proportional to the number of available microstates the heat bath can be in, i.e.,
$$P(E_1)=\frac{\Omega_2(U-E_1)}{\Omega(U)}. \qquad (1)$$
##\Omega(U)## is the total number of available states of the total system in equilibrium. Now the number of states for the total system, given that system 1 has energy ##E_1## is
$$\Omega(U|H_1=E_1)=\Omega_1(E_1) \Omega_2(U-E_1),$$
and both ##\Omega_1## and ##\Omega_2## are steeply raising functions of their argument. Thus the function above has a very sharp maximum, and thus the equilibrium state is charactrized by ##E_1=U_1##, where ##U_1## is the value, where the above function takes a maximum. For simplicity we define the entropy as
$$S(U|H_1=E_1)=\ln \Omega(U|H_1=E_1)=S_1(E_1) + S_2(U-E_1).$$
The condition for a maximum at ##E_1=U_1## is
$$\partial_{E_1} S(U|H_1=E_1)=\partial_{U'} S_1(U')|_{U'=U_1}-\partial_{U'} S_1(U')|_{U'=U-U_1}=0.$$
From phenomenological thermodynamics the condition for equilibrium for two systems in heat contact is the equality of temperature, and thus one defines
$$\partial_{U'} S_1(U')|_{U'=U_1}=\beta_1=\frac{1}{T_1}$$
and anlogously for system 2 (the heatbath). The equilibrium condition then is indeed
$$T_1=T_2$$
So we have with very good accuracy
$$\Omega(U)=\Omega_1(U_1) \Omega_2(U-U_1).$$
Taking the logarithm of (1) then gives
$$\ln P(E_1)=S_2(U-E_1) -S_2(U-U_1) -S_1(U_1)=S_2(U-U_1+U_1-E_1)-S_2(U-U_1) -S_1(U_1) = S_2(U-U_1) + \beta_2 (U_1-E_1)- S_2(U-U_1) -S_1(U_1) =(\beta_1 U_1-S_1) - \beta_1 E_1.$$
Now we have
$$(\beta_1 U_1 - S_1)=\beta_1(U_1-T_1 S_1)=\beta_1 F_1,$$
where ##F_1## is the free energy of part 1 of the gas. So finally we have
$$P(E_1)=\exp(\beta_1 F_1) \exp(-\beta_1 E_1).$$
Since
$$\int \mathrm{d}^{3N_1} x \mathrm{d}^{3N_1} p \frac{1}{h^{3N}} P(E_1)=1$$
we finally get
$$Z_1=\int \mathrm{d}^{3N_1} x \mathrm{d}^{3N_1} p \frac{1}{h^{3N_1}} \exp(-\beta_1 E_1)=\exp(-\beta_1 F_1)$$
or
$$F_1=-T_1 \ln Z_1.$$
From
$$\mathrm{d} F_1=\mathrm{d} (U_1-T_1 S_1)=T_1 \mathrm{d} S_1 - P_1 \mathrm{d} V_1 -T_1 \mathrm{d} S_1-S_1 \mathrm{d} T_1=-S_1 \mathrm{d} T_1 -P_1 \mathrm{d} V_1$$
we get
$$S_1=-\left (\frac{\partial F_1}{\partial T_1} \right )_{V_1,N_1}, \quad P_1=-\left (\frac{\partial F_1}{\partial T_1} \right )_{T_1,N_1}.$$
This we have used above in the derivation of ##S_1##.

Again we note that the correction due to indistinguishability of the particles in the sense of QT, one should put the ##1/N_1!## correction in front of ##Z_1## to get rid of the Gibbs paradox for the entropy, as discussed in my previous posting.

Likes dextercioby and georg gill
I have a problem with the last rewriting in the proof. Here is the problem:

I get: ##Q=\frac{V}{\Lambda ^3}## Here we have used the integral ##\int_\infty^0 \varpi e^{-\beta \varepsilon} d \varepsilon##

But then: From this page

http://faculty.uca.edu/saddison/ThermalPhysics/CanonicalEnsemble.pdf

it is obtained that

##\Omega_2(E_0-E_r)=e^{\frac{S_2}{k}-\beta E_r}=e^{\beta(TS_2-E_r)}=e^{\beta(-A)}##

hence ##lne^{\beta(-A)}=\beta(-A)##

##-\frac{1}{\beta}ln\Omega_2(E_0-E_r)=A##
Where A is Helmholtz's energy

They use later in (L.16) in the first post that

that ##-\frac{\partial}{\partial T}(\frac{1}{\beta}lnQ)=\frac{\partial A}{\partial T}##
But here they use Q and not ##\Omega_2(E_0-E_r)## that I have derived this relation for Helmholtz's energy. Can someone derive why ##-\frac{\partial}{\partial T}(\frac{1}{\beta}lnQ)=A## as Q is the integral over all the different ##\Omega_2(E_0-E_r)##.?

The only difference between what's written in my previous posting and this writeup is that they call the Helmholtz free energy ##A## instead of ##F##. I've also derived that ##A=-T \ln Z## (I call it ##F## instead of ##A##; sorry if that causes the confusion).

Likes georg gill

Related to Usage of partition function in derivation of Sackur-Tetrode

1. What is the partition function in the derivation of the Sackur-Tetrode equation?

The partition function is a mathematical concept used in statistical mechanics to describe the distribution of particles or energy levels in a system. In the derivation of the Sackur-Tetrode equation, the partition function represents the number of ways a system can be arranged or divided into smaller subsystems.

2. How is the partition function used to derive the Sackur-Tetrode equation?

In the derivation of the Sackur-Tetrode equation, the partition function is used to calculate the number of microstates or possible configurations of a system. This is then used to calculate the entropy of the system, which is a key component of the Sackur-Tetrode equation.

3. Why is the partition function important in the Sackur-Tetrode equation?

The partition function is important in the Sackur-Tetrode equation because it allows us to calculate the entropy of a system, which is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. Entropy is a crucial concept in thermodynamics and is closely related to the concept of temperature.

4. What is the relationship between the partition function and entropy in the Sackur-Tetrode equation?

The relationship between the partition function and entropy in the Sackur-Tetrode equation is that the partition function is used to calculate the number of microstates or possible configurations of a system, which is then used to calculate the entropy of the system. The entropy is then used in the Sackur-Tetrode equation to calculate the thermodynamic properties of the system, such as internal energy and temperature.

5. How is the Sackur-Tetrode equation used in practical applications?

The Sackur-Tetrode equation is used in practical applications to calculate thermodynamic properties of a system, such as entropy, temperature, and internal energy. It is commonly used in the fields of thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and physical chemistry to understand the behavior of gases and other systems at the molecular level.