University of Nebraska-Lincoln REU - advice?

In summary: Be open to Dr. Pannier. She is an excellent researcher, and has a lot to share. She also has a lot of experience with REUs. You might not be the only one in this program with a physics major and zero experience with DNA. Be respectful, and ask questions.
ModestyKing
Hi there PF,
I've been accepted to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln's REU program, with my adviser being Dr. Angela Pannier. The project is: Nanostructured Thin Films as Biomaterial Interfaces for Enhanced Substrate-mediated Gene Delivery
I'm a physics major, and DNA is not my thing, really (wondering why I was put on that project, honestly! I wanted to work on their high efficiency organic solar cells project), but I've definitely wanted to work with thin films. I wanted to ask for advice, as this is my first REU.
1) In an REU (whether it be this topic or not), how much do I actually learn about the topic/theory behind the project? Is it like taking a class just on it, or much more than that?
2) This is going to involve a lot of lab work, especially in stuff I'm not used to. Should I try to get a grad student at my home institution to show me the ropes? I've been offered the chance, but I don't want to learn something that may be, in fact, the opposite of what the lab at UNL does.
3) Even though this isn't in my top field of interest, should I treat it like it is? Read up on the theory, pretend it's exactly what I want to do later on while I'm doing it? I think I could, and I'd excel, but the other option is to try and work on parts of the project that I can integrate or even relate to what my main interests are.
4) How much should I stay in contact after the REU?
5) If anyone knows Dr. Pannier, is there anything in particular I should pay attention to or do with her?

And any advice for a first-timer REU participant would be great! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
ModestyKing said:
Hi there PF,
I've been accepted to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln's REU program, with my adviser being Dr. Angela Pannier. The project is: Nanostructured Thin Films as Biomaterial Interfaces for Enhanced Substrate-mediated Gene Delivery
I'm a physics major, and DNA is not my thing, really (wondering why I was put on that project, honestly! I wanted to work on their high efficiency organic solar cells project), but I've definitely wanted to work with thin films. I wanted to ask for advice, as this is my first REU.
1) In an REU (whether it be this topic or not), how much do I actually learn about the topic/theory behind the project? Is it like taking a class just on it, or much more than that?
2) This is going to involve a lot of lab work, especially in stuff I'm not used to. Should I try to get a grad student at my home institution to show me the ropes? I've been offered the chance, but I don't want to learn something that may be, in fact, the opposite of what the lab at UNL does.
3) Even though this isn't in my top field of interest, should I treat it like it is? Read up on the theory, pretend it's exactly what I want to do later on while I'm doing it? I think I could, and I'd excel, but the other option is to try and work on parts of the project that I can integrate or even relate to what my main interests are.
4) How much should I stay in contact after the REU?
5) If anyone knows Dr. Pannier, is there anything in particular I should pay attention to or do with her?

And any advice for a first-timer REU participant would be great! Thanks.

1. You will be doing laboratory research. This will not be like classes.
2. More than likely, yes. Probably the best thing to do is to contact the advisor and ask for some papers, etc. to read to help you hit the ground running. More than likely, she will plan on pairing you up with a graduate student or post-doc in her lab, and this will provide her with the opportunity to introduce you to whomever that is. Read the material (most likely papers from her group). if you have questions to ask, you should go ahead and ask. The advisor should be happy that you are planning for the summer.
3. Do as best as you can do. I think that the topic is broad enough that the group working on it will be quite diverse, background-wise. You will leanr a lot. If you are engaged, you might help them solve a problem that nobody in the lab has the background to solve!
4. You would definitely want to stay connected with the group and advisor. If you work your butt off, and are memorable in good ways (you don't want to be memorable in a bad way!) you will be able to get a strong letter from the advisor for graduate school, employment, afterwards.
5. I know nothing about this professor.

Hi Quantum Defect,
Thank you for the reply!
I've contacted the professor as advised, and she will be sending out materials to me and the other participants in a few weeks. I'm excited to have this opportunity!

Related to University of Nebraska-Lincoln REU - advice?

1. What is the purpose of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln REU program?

The University of Nebraska-Lincoln REU program is designed to provide undergraduate students with hands-on research experiences in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). The program aims to enhance students' understanding of research and prepare them for graduate studies or careers in STEM fields.

2. Who is eligible to apply for the University of Nebraska-Lincoln REU program?

Undergraduate students who are enrolled in a degree program at a college or university and have completed at least two years of study are eligible to apply for the University of Nebraska-Lincoln REU program. International students are also eligible to apply.

3. What is the duration of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln REU program?

The program typically runs for 10 weeks during the summer. However, the exact duration may vary depending on the specific research project and faculty mentor.

4. What is the application process for the University of Nebraska-Lincoln REU program?

Interested students must submit an online application, including a personal statement, resume, and academic transcripts. They must also provide contact information for two references. The application deadline is typically in February, and selected participants will be notified in March.

5. Is financial support provided for participants of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln REU program?

Yes, participants will receive a stipend of $5,000 for the 10-week program, as well as housing and meal allowances. Travel assistance may also be available for those who need it. Additionally, participants will have access to research funds to cover any necessary expenses related to their project.