Universities with double-slit experiment?

In summary, some universities in the US and Europe have equipment set up for the double-slit experiment to demonstrate to undergraduates and for experimental purposes. This setup only requires a simple laser and can be done by any college or university. Even smaller universities with limited resources, like the one mentioned in the conversation, are able to conduct this experiment in their Physics II lab. However, the ability to emit a single photon, electron, buckyball, etc. is necessary to demonstrate an interference pattern through the slits.
QMessenger
I have read that some universities with strong physics programs have equipment setup for the double-slit experiment in order to occasionally demonstrate to undergraduates and for experimental purposes. Does anyone know which universities these might be in the US and Europe?

Physics news on Phys.org
AFAIK, we use that setup as an undergraduate lab.

All you need for that is a laser; anyone can do it, including all colleges and universities.

Yea I go to a small university with a small physics department and we do that experiment in our Physics II lab, even though we don't even mention anything about it in lecture.

Sad part is that I actually had to go look at my lab manual to see if we did it >_>. I remember doing a lab on slits but that's about all I remember.

Sadder part is that the lab was about a month or two ago.

I should have been more specific. I mean the capability to emit a single photon, electron, buckyball etc etc and still demonstrate an interference pattern through the slits.

Related to Universities with double-slit experiment?

1. What is the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment is a classic physics experiment that helps demonstrate the wave-particle duality of light. It involves a light source being shone through two parallel slits, creating an interference pattern on a screen behind the slits.

2. How is the double-slit experiment related to universities?

Universities often conduct the double-slit experiment as part of their physics curriculum to help students understand the concepts of wave-particle duality and interference of light. It is also used in research at universities to study quantum mechanics and other related fields.

3. Which universities are known for their work with the double-slit experiment?

Some universities that are well-known for their research and teaching of the double-slit experiment include Harvard University, University of Oxford, and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).

4. What are some real-world applications of the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment has played a crucial role in understanding the behavior of light and other particles at the quantum level. It has also been used in the development of technologies such as electron microscopy and holography.

5. Are there any controversies surrounding the double-slit experiment?

There has been some debate and controversy surrounding the interpretation of the results of the double-slit experiment and its implications for the nature of reality. Some scientists argue that it supports the idea of multiple parallel universes, while others believe it can be explained through other theories.