Uniform, semicircular rod of radius R and mass m in the center

In summary: And all forces on y-axis are... located on y-axis?In summary, the conversation involved discussing a problem involving a rod with radius R and mass M, and a small mass with mass m. The goal was to find the gravitational force exerted on the small mass by the rod and the potential energy of the system. The equations used included the linear density of the rod and the gravitational force formula. The conversation also included a discussion of integrals and a mistake that was made in one of the steps.
aquance

Homework Statement

Pic: http://i.imgur.com/Ny4YAKf.jpg

Rod has radius R, and mass M. Small mass has mass m.

I have to find gravitational force exerted on mass m by rod and potential energy of the whole thing.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So my idea is that soluton is 2 integrals from 0 to pi/2 of gravitational force of small masses dM, Ill use linear density p.

[tex] p = \frac{M}{\pi R} [/tex]
[tex] dM = ds p [/tex]
[tex] Rd\alpha = ds [/tex]
[tex] F= \frac{GdM}{R^2}\frac{\vec{r}}{r} [/tex]
[tex] \vec{r} = R(cos\alpha,sin\alpha) [/tex]
[tex] 2\int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{GdM}{R^2} (cos\alpha,sin\alpha) d\alpha [/tex]

Now substitute first 3 equations so I get

[tex] 2\int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{GMd\alpha }{\pi R^2} (cos\alpha,sin\alpha) d\alpha [/tex]
[tex] 2\frac{GM}{\pi R^{2}} \int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} d\alpha (cos\alpha,sin\alpha) d\alpha [/tex]

And I don't know what to do with it. I am also not sure about how to calculate the total potential energy

Physics news on Phys.org
Those integrals look easy to evaluate for both components. There is a sign error, however, one component has a negative sign in one of the integrals. Why did you split that at all? You can just integrate from 0 to pi.
You can get one of the components with a symmetry argument, by the way.

I am also not sure about how to calculate the total potential energy
You can use a similar integral, just for the potential instead of the force.

mfb said:
Those integrals look easy to evaluate for both components. There is a sign error, however, one component has a negative sign in one of the integrals. Why did you split that at all? You can just integrate from 0 to pi.
You can get one of the components with a symmetry argument, by the way.

You can use a similar integral, just for the potential instead of the force.

Well it's cool that they look easy to evaluate, but I don't know how to do that and I was expecting help ;d Is my work up to the last one correct?

Sign error? I am not sure where

Idk why I split them, It doesn't matter too much I guess.

1st: Use equations to solve problems. Tip: if the symbol "=" is not present, it ain't an equation.
2nd: Your integrals have two differential "dα" factors. All you need is one of them. The other one is redundant and makes your equation look wrong.
3rd: Don't you know how to integrate a cosine and/or sine function(s)? That's like the second integral people learn, after learning to integrate polynomials.

1. Yeah, you can add = after each integral in my op then.
2. Yeah, but I somehow got 2 da factors - how to get rid of it, because I don't think I can just cross it?
3. I do how to integrate cosine and sine function, but I don't know how to integrate a vector with 2 da.

1. My point is that you made hard for me to figure out what you're calculating
2. You made a mistake in one of your steps introducing a differential that wasn't there. I think it happened when you substituted the expression for r.
3. There ain't two dα. There is only one. The other one is a mistake.

added by EDIT: differentials are nilpotent. that means that the product of two differentials vanishes. If that ever happens, you know you've made a mistake somewhere. Don't confuse that with multiple integration in which case you're supposed to have several differential factors. That's not the case here. You're calculating a single integral.

Last edited:
dauto said:
1. My point is that you made hard for me to figure out what you're calculating
2. You made a mistake in one of your steps introducing a differential that wasn't there. I think it happened what you substituted the expression for r.
3. There ain't two dα. There is only one. The other one is a mistake.

So for 2, ill explain what I do since I don't know where did second wrong da come from...

I get formula for linear density - all mass divided by all length

[tex] p = \frac{M}{\pi R} [/tex]

I get formula for infinite small mass with small length - it is its length times linear density

[tex] dM = ds p [/tex]

I get formula for small length, as a function of α

[tex] ds = rdα [/tex]

Now I start with equation number 2 and put there the other two so

[tex] dM = ds p = rdα*p = rdα * \frac{M}{\pi R} = \frac{Mdα}{\pi} [/tex]

So now I have dM and want to calculate integral of infinite small gravitational forces from 0 to π/2. We also know that vector r with direction can be written as [tex]\vec{r} = R(cosα, sinα) [/tex]

So that integral - [tex]\int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{GdM}{r^2} \frac{\vec{r}}{r} ds = \int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{G\frac{Mdα}{\pi}}{r^2} \frac{\vec{r}}{r} r dα = \frac{GM}{\pi} \int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{dα \vec{r}}{r^2} dα[/tex]

and yeah, I don't know where did I make a mistake

Your starting differential is ##d\vec F = \frac{GmdM}{r^2} \frac{\vec{r}}{r}##, not ##d\vec F = \frac{GmdM}{r^2} \frac{\vec{r}}{r} ds##.

Aaaah yes, thanks. Btw is it GmdM or GdM?

So I have:

[tex] \frac{GmM}{\pi*r^{2}} \int (cosa,sina) da [/tex]

What can I do with this integral? Do I treat it as integral cosa da + integral sina da or something?

No, you don't add the integrals. They are separate components. The result of the integration is a vector with two components. Each component is a separate integral.

Ok, so I take it that you just put the integral into the vector so you have (integral of cos, integral of sin)? If so then the result is vector (1,1) which.. does it make sense? It means that equal force vector is [tex] (\frac{2GmM}{\pi*r^2}, \frac{2GmM}{\pi*r^2}) [/tex]

Also please answer question about wheter should it be GmM/.. or GM/...

Isn't it that all forces on x-axis are 0?

aquance said:
Ok, so I take it that you just put the integral into the vector so you have (integral of cos, integral of sin)? If so then the result is vector (1,1) which.. does it make sense? It means that equal force vector is [tex] (\frac{2GmM}{\pi*r^2}, \frac{2GmM}{\pi*r^2}) [/tex]

Also please answer question about wheter should it be GmM/.. or GM/...

No, (1,1) isn't right. What are the limits of the integral?

If you're calculating the force than its GmM/r2, isn't it?

Ah okay I dun goofed, with limits of 0 to pi it's actually (0,2) and so we get [tex](0,\frac{2GmM}{\pi*r^{2}})[/tex] Which appears to be correcT?

That seems right.

What about potential energy? Is it the same integrals but with just formula -GmM/r instead of what I used here?

Right.

Related to Uniform, semicircular rod of radius R and mass m in the center

1. What is the moment of inertia of a uniform, semicircular rod?

The moment of inertia of a uniform, semicircular rod of radius R and mass m in the center is given by I = (1/2) * m * R^2.

2. How does the mass distribution affect the moment of inertia of a semicircular rod?

The moment of inertia of a semicircular rod is directly proportional to the mass of the rod. A larger mass will result in a larger moment of inertia, while a smaller mass will result in a smaller moment of inertia.

3. What is the relationship between the radius and the moment of inertia of a semicircular rod?

The moment of inertia of a semicircular rod is directly proportional to the square of the radius. This means that a larger radius will result in a larger moment of inertia, while a smaller radius will result in a smaller moment of inertia.

4. How does the shape of a semicircular rod affect its moment of inertia?

The shape of a semicircular rod affects its moment of inertia due to the distribution of mass. A semicircular rod has a higher moment of inertia compared to a straight rod with the same mass and length, due to the mass being concentrated at a greater distance from the axis of rotation.

5. How is the moment of inertia of a semicircular rod calculated about its center of mass?

The moment of inertia of a semicircular rod can be calculated about its center of mass using the parallel axis theorem. This states that the moment of inertia about any axis parallel to the axis passing through the center of mass is equal to the moment of inertia about the center of mass plus the product of the mass and the square of the distance between the two axes.