Understanding Integration by Parts: A Quick Guide for Beginners

In summary, the conversation discusses integration by parts and the product rule in regards to the expression \int {d^4 } x\frac{{\partial L}}{{\partial \left( {\partial _\mu \phi } \right)}}\partial _\mu (\delta \phi ). The second term on the RHS is derived from the product rule and is equal to \frac{{\partial L}}{{\partial (\partial _\mu \phi )}}\delta \phi \left| {^b _a } \right. = 0. The person asking for help thanks George for clarifying the concept.
Ratzinger
this no homework, but nevertheless can someone hint me how this integration by parts works?
[tex]
\int {d^4 } x\frac{{\partial L}}{{\partial \left( {\partial _\mu \phi } \right)}}\partial _\mu (\delta \phi ) = {\rm{ }} - \int {d^4 } x\partial _\mu \left( {\frac{{\partial L}}{{\partial (\partial _\mu \phi )}}} \right)\delta \phi {\rm{ }} + {\rm{ }}\int {d^4 } x{\rm{ }}\partial _\mu \left( {\frac{{\partial L}}{{\partial (\partial _\mu \phi )}}\delta \phi } \right)
[/tex]
where [tex]
L(\phi ,\partial _\mu \phi )
[/tex]

I don't understand where the second term on the RHS comes from. I thought the second term should be [tex]
\frac{{\partial L}}{{\partial (\partial _\mu \phi )}}\delta \phi \left| {^b _a } \right. = 0
[/tex]

thanks

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
This is just the product rule, i.e.,

[tex]
\frac{{\partial L}}{{\partial \left( {\partial _\mu \phi } \right)}}\partial _\mu (\delta \phi ) + \partial _\mu \left( {\frac{{\partial L}}{{\partial (\partial _\mu \phi )}}} \right)\delta \phi {\rm{ }} = \partial _\mu \left( {\frac{{\partial L}}{{\partial (\partial _\mu \phi )}}\delta \phi } \right)
[/tex]

Regards,
George

I knew that it was going to be simple. Thanks George!

Related to Understanding Integration by Parts: A Quick Guide for Beginners

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method used in calculus to find the integral of a product of two functions. It is based on the product rule of differentiation and can be used to solve a variety of integrals.

2. How do I know when to use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is typically used when the integral involves a product of two functions, or when the integral involves a function that is difficult to integrate by other methods.

3. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫udv = uv - ∫vdu, where u and v are the two functions being integrated and dv and du are their corresponding differentials.

4. What is the "hint" in integration by parts hint?

The "hint" in integration by parts hint refers to a specific pattern or method that can be used to choose the correct u and v functions in order to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve. This hint is often given in the form of the acronym "LIATE", which stands for Logarithmic, Inverse Trigonometric, Algebraic, Trigonometric, and Exponential functions.

5. Are there any common mistakes when using integration by parts?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes that can occur when using integration by parts. These include choosing the wrong u and v functions, forgetting to include the negative sign in the formula, and incorrectly applying the formula multiple times. It is important to carefully double check your work and practice to avoid these mistakes.