Understanding Elastic Collisions in 2D: Exploring Velocity and Rotation

In summary, the program developer is trying to figure out how to calculate relative velocity between two points, and how to add friction.
Isawyou0
Hi all!
I'm developping a program, I wish if somebody helps me since I'm not good in physics, we know that:
v'1=v1-(j / m1)*n
v'1=v2+(j / m2)*n
1) when we use negative and positive sign? if we change them, there is error sometimes.
2)In 2d, do I have to calculate vx, and vy separately, what about n normal vector? should I do the same or use the magnitude?
And here we talk about relative velocity of j=-(1+e)*rV/1/m1+1/m2,calculate just magnitude or vx and vy, but doe'snt going to work in rotation:
w'=w+j/i*r*n;
j=j=-(1+e)*rV/(1/m1+1/m2)*n^2*r^2/I*n^2*r^2/I;there will be no wx and wy for vx and vy, I guess magnitude here?
3) Can somebody demonstrate to me how the heck do we passed from:
Vf = Vi+ 2m(vi-Vi)/(m+M);to:
vf=vi-(j / m1)*n;also for rotation;
4) how to add friction:(it's should be negative to the velocity, and f'=uf, with ucoeficient of friction), a dot product with perpendicular to n normalised + j ?
I'm lost here please help; I will appreciate :)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you use variables, it would be useful to define and explain them.

Better explain the conditions.

okay! it will be more complicated, just want to know how to clculate ellastic colision, and rotation

Isawyou0 said:
okay! it will be more complicated, just want to know how to clculate ellastic colision, and rotation
You will need to make the effort to explain what you want in better detail or no one can answer you.
Did you try a textbook?

vx = vx + ((-1 * (1 + 1) * ((vx + teta *r) * nx+ (vy + teta * r) * ny)) / ((1 / m1+ 1 / m2) * ((ny* ny) + (nx* nx)))) * nx;
vy = vy + ((-1 * (1 + 1) * ((ix + teta * r) * nx+ vy + teta * r) * ny)) / ((1 / m1+ 1 / m2) * ((ny* ny) + (nx* nx)))) * ny;

nx &&ny: are normal of collison.
this code work wrong, why?

it works finally! just want to know about rotation last n,
w'=w+j/i*r*n;
n magnitude?

it's ok for rotation,
teta = teta + (-1 * (1 + 1) * ((ix + teta * (centx - ja) - ibx) * xx1 + (iy + teta * (centy - jb) - iby) * yy1)) / (1 / 1.0f + 1 / 2.0f + ((float)Math.Pow((centx - ja) * xx1 + (centy - jb) * yy1, 2) / In) + ((float)Math.Pow((centbx - ja) * xx1 + (centby - jb) * yy1, 2) / Ina));
tetab = tetab + (-1 * (1 + 1) * ((ibx + tetab * (centx - ja) - ix) * xx1 + (iby + tetab * (centy - jb) - iy) * yy1)) / (1 / 1.0f + 1 / 2.0f + ((float)Math.Pow((centx - ja) * xx1 + (centy - jb) * yy1, 2) / In) + ((float)Math.Pow((centbx - ja) * xx1 + (centby - jb) * yy1, 2) / Ina));

ja and jb point of collision coordinate;
xx1 and yy1 are conatct normal;
and finally In for inertia

just maybe an error here?

Last edited:
See above: without much more explanation what you are doing, how all those variables are defined, what you expect as result and what you get it is impossible to follow.

Since that inertia is in kg.m^2, how to convert it to pixel(best way)? my rotation still going on the wrong sens

Like this, the thread is completely pointless. Feel free to open a new thread if you need help, but then explain what you are doing.

Related to Understanding Elastic Collisions in 2D: Exploring Velocity and Rotation

What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the total energy and total momentum of the system before and after the collision are the same.

What is the difference between an elastic collision and an inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved, while in an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved. This means that in an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

What are some real-life examples of elastic collisions?

Some examples of elastic collisions include billiard balls colliding, a tennis ball hitting a racket, and two cars colliding without damage to either vehicle.

What is the equation for calculating the velocity of an object after an elastic collision?

The equation for calculating the velocity of an object after an elastic collision is: v2 = (m1-m2)/(m1+m2) * u1 + (2m2)/(m1+m2) * u2, where v2 is the final velocity of the first object, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and u1 and u2 are the initial velocities of the two objects.

How does the elasticity of objects affect collisions?

The elasticity of objects determines how much of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy during a collision. Objects with high elasticity will experience more elastic collisions, while objects with low elasticity will experience more inelastic collisions.