Undergraduate choosing math courses

In summary: Additional computer science or physics could be a better option for you if you are unsure about DiffEQs.Differential Equations surprisingly isn't required. Do you think I should add it? The curriculum here is very open so I have a lot of discretion in the courses I choose. Mainly I'm focusing on applicable knowledge that I can also do well in (failing classes is never a good look).
salad
Hey guys,

Been reading the forums for a bit, first time posting. I'm a second year math student looking to work in quantitative trading as a career. Right now I'm planning out the courses to take for my next few years, and was looking for advice. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

-Financial Engineering
-Operations Research
-Probability and Stochastic processes (required)
-Linear Algebra (required)
-Financial math
-Number theory
-Optimization

How does this look? Any advice is helpful - along with input on which courses are tough (so I can take easier electives that semester). Also, if there are any additional electives you guys think I should add, I have interests in CS (particularly Python programming) and Physics (something that deals with magnetism and/or propulsion).

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
salad said:
Hey guys,

Been reading the forums for a bit, first time posting. I'm a second year math student looking to work in quantitative trading as a career. Right now I'm planning out the courses to take for my next few years, and was looking for advice. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

-Financial Engineering
-Operations Research
-Probability and Stochastic processes (required)
-Linear Algebra (required)
-Financial math
-Number theory
-Optimization

How does this look? Any advice is helpful - along with input on which courses are tough (so I can take easier electives that semester). Also, if there are any additional electives you guys think I should add, I have interests in CS (particularly Python programming) and Physics (something that deals with magnetism and/or propulsion).

Thanks!
Where is Differential Equations ? Number Theory is pretty theoretical, I think; I am not sure that this is something that "quants" use in their daily life. Is this required for the mathematics major? If it is not, you might look for something more applied -- additional computer science or physics, maybe Statistical Mechanics/Physics?

Differential Equations surprisingly isn't required. Do you think I should add it? The curriculum here is very open so I have a lot of discretion in the courses I choose. Mainly I'm focusing on applicable knowledge that I can also do well in (failing classes is never a good look).

For the mathematics major I'll need math or statistics courses, so CS/physics is only for additional coursework outside of the major requirement.

salad said:
Differential Equations surprisingly isn't required. Do you think I should add it? The curriculum here is very open so I have a lot of discretion in the courses I choose. Mainly I'm focusing on applicable knowledge that I can also do well in (failing classes is never a good look).

For the mathematics major I'll need math or statistics courses, so CS/physics is only for additional coursework outside of the major requirement.

I am surprised that DiffEQs is not required. I would take it, but I am a lowly chemist.

Hi there,

It's great to hear that you are planning ahead for your math courses and have a clear career goal in mind. Your course selection looks well-rounded and relevant for a career in quantitative trading. Financial engineering, operations research, and financial math are all important areas to have a strong foundation in, and it's great that you are also considering courses in number theory and optimization.

As for advice, I would recommend talking to your academic advisor or professors in the math department to get their insights on which courses may be more challenging and which ones may complement each other well. It's also important to balance out your course load with courses that interest you and may not necessarily be directly related to your career goal. This will help keep you motivated and well-rounded as a mathematician.

In terms of your interests in CS and physics, I would suggest looking into courses that combine math with these fields, such as computational physics or mathematical modeling in CS. These courses could give you a unique skill set and may be relevant to your career goals as well.

Overall, it's important to continue challenging yourself and exploring different areas of math. Keep an open mind and don't be afraid to take on difficult courses, as they will only make you a stronger and more well-rounded mathematician. Best of luck in your studies!

Related to Undergraduate choosing math courses

What math courses should I take as an undergraduate?

As an undergraduate, it is important to take foundational math courses such as Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Statistics. These courses will provide you with a strong mathematical background that will be useful in many fields of study. Additionally, you should consider taking more advanced courses in areas that interest you, such as Abstract Algebra or Differential Equations.

Do I need to take math courses if I am not majoring in a math-related field?

While math may not be directly related to your field of study, it is still a valuable skill to have. Many careers require some level of mathematical knowledge, and taking math courses can improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It is also a good idea to check with your school's general education requirements to see if any math courses are required.

How do I determine the difficulty level of a math course?

The difficulty level of a math course can vary depending on the individual's strengths and weaknesses. However, some factors to consider when determining the difficulty level include the course material, the instructor's teaching style, and the level of mathematical background required. It is always a good idea to review the course syllabus and talk to other students who have taken the course to get a better understanding of its difficulty level.

Can I take advanced math courses as an undergraduate?

Yes, you can take advanced math courses as an undergraduate if you have completed the necessary prerequisites. These courses may be more challenging, but they can also be very rewarding and can help prepare you for graduate-level studies if you are considering pursuing a math-related field in the future.

Are there any resources available to help me succeed in my math courses?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you succeed in your math courses. Most universities have tutoring services, study groups, and office hours with professors to provide additional support. There are also online resources such as Khan Academy and YouTube channels that offer tutorials and practice problems. Don't be afraid to reach out for help if you are struggling with a math course.