UG research in "unrelated" field

In summary: But if you have a strong research record and great letters of recommendation, you'll be in a good place.
mcabbage
I'm doing a USRA (Canadian equivalent of an NSF URA etc, fairly competitive) in the applied math department of my school, where i'll be working on mathematical/computational systems biology. I'll be learning lots of techniques for simulations, dynamical systems, etc and one of their models is based off of a model used in the study of liquid crystals. I want to keep my options open in case I decide to go into mathematical biotech/nanotech research which is why this USRA was attractive to me (in addition to the fact that this summer the physics USRAs were more competitive and all the interesting potential advisors are swamped with grad students)

I'm worried that grad schools won't value my USRA as much as if I did it in say, comp astrophysics or something. What does everyone think?

Physics news on Phys.org
mcabbage said:
I'm doing a USRA (Canadian equivalent of an NSF URA etc, fairly competitive) in the applied math department of my school, where i'll be working on mathematical/computational systems biology. I'll be learning lots of techniques for simulations, dynamical systems, etc and one of their models is based off of a model used in the study of liquid crystals. I want to keep my options open in case I decide to go into mathematical biotech/nanotech research which is why this USRA was attractive to me (in addition to the fact that this summer the physics USRAs were more competitive and all the interesting potential advisors are swamped with grad students)

I'm worried that grad schools won't value my USRA as much as if I did it in say, comp astrophysics or something. What does everyone think?

If your work yields a publication and great recommendation letters, I think you'll be fine.

All factors being equal, it is better to have undergraduate research more closely related to the field of graduate study.

But all factors are seldom equal. Work in a different field yielding a publication and great recommendation trumps work in the same field yielding no publication and a luke warm recommendation.

Supply and demand is a real thing. Rock the opportunity before you and don't worry about it.

Likes StatGuy2000 and Choppy
I agree with Dr. Courtney. There's a lot of value in exploring your options as an undergraduate. You likely won't have as much freedom to explore the further on you go.

Related to UG research in "unrelated" field

1. What is "UG research"?

"UG research" stands for undergraduate research, which refers to research projects or studies that are conducted by students at the undergraduate level.

2. What does it mean to conduct research in an "unrelated" field?

Conducting research in an "unrelated" field means that the topic or subject of the research is not directly related to the student's major or area of study. For example, a biology major conducting research in psychology would be considered conducting research in an "unrelated" field.

3. Why would someone choose to do UG research in an "unrelated" field?

There are several reasons why a student may choose to do UG research in an "unrelated" field. It can provide a new perspective and broaden their knowledge and skills, it can help them explore potential career options, and it can make them more competitive for graduate school or job opportunities.

4. How can one get involved in UG research in an "unrelated" field?

There are a few ways to get involved in UG research in an "unrelated" field. Students can reach out to professors or researchers in the field they are interested in, join a research group or lab, or participate in research programs or internships.

5. Is UG research in an "unrelated" field valuable?

Yes, UG research in an "unrelated" field can be valuable in many ways. It can help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, improve their research abilities, and expand their knowledge and understanding of different subjects. It can also make them more well-rounded and versatile in their future academic and professional pursuits.