U sub of a real double integral

In summary: Plugging back in for u, we get$$-\frac 1 2 (2x+3y)^{-1}$$For the outer integral, you just multiply by the differential for y, dy. So the full integral becomes$$-\frac 1 2 \int_1^2 \int_0^1 \frac 1 {(2x+3y)^2} dydx$$In summary, the problem requires using iterated integrals and u substitution to evaluate the integral, resulting in the final solution of $$-\frac 1 2 \int_1^2 \int_0^1 \frac 1 {(2x+3y)^2} dydx$$ where
selig5560

Homework Statement

∫∫ 1 / (2x + 3y), R = [0,1] x [1,2]

Homework Equations

- Iterated integrals
- u sub

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my attempt at solving this (I must be screwing up on the algebra)

Integrating with respect to x
u = 2x, dy = 2

u^-2 du

u^-2 = - (1/u) [double chcked with wolfram alpha]
∫∫ (2x + 3y) ^ -2 -> -2 ∫ -(1/u) (2x + 3y) ^ -1

This is the part that stumps me...Sorry if I'm being vague. This is from Paul Online Notes Calculus III (http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/IteratedIntegrals.aspx#MultInt_Iterated_Ex1d)

THe part I want to understand is how they got -1/2 * ... (2x+3y) ^ -1

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
selig5560 said:

Homework Statement

∫∫ 1 / (2x + 3y), R = [0,1] x [1,2]
For starters, you didn't copy the problem correctly. Should be$$
\int_1^2\int_0^1 \frac 1 {(2x+3y)^2}\, dxdy$$

Homework Equations

- Iterated integrals
- u sub

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my attempt at solving this (I must be screwing up on the algebra)

Integrating with respect to x
u = 2x, dy = 2

u^-2 du

u^-2 = - (1/u) [double chcked with wolfram alpha]
∫∫ (2x + 3y) ^ -2 -> -2 ∫ -(1/u) (2x + 3y) ^ -1

This is the part that stumps me...Sorry if I'm being vague. This is from Paul Online Notes Calculus III (http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/IteratedIntegrals.aspx#MultInt_Iterated_Ex1d)

THe part I want to understand is how they got -1/2 * ... (2x+3y) ^ -1

Thanks!

Let ##u=2x+3y## and ##du=2dx##. y is constant for the inner integral. The inner integral becomes$$
\int u^{-2} \frac 1 2 du = \frac 1 2 \frac {u^{-1}}{-1}$$

Related to U sub of a real double integral

1. What is "U sub of a real double integral"?

"U sub of a real double integral" is a method used in calculus to simplify and evaluate double integrals. It involves substituting a new variable, usually denoted as u, for one or more variables in the integrand.

2. When is "U sub of a real double integral" used?

"U sub of a real double integral" is used when the integrand involves complicated functions or expressions that can be simplified by substituting a new variable. This method is especially useful for evaluating integrals involving trigonometric functions or exponential functions.

3. How does "U sub of a real double integral" work?

The method of "U sub of a real double integral" involves three steps: 1) choosing an appropriate substitution for the variable in the integrand, usually denoted as u, 2) rewriting the integrand in terms of u, and 3) evaluating the integral with the new variable. The final result is then converted back to the original variables.

4. What are the benefits of using "U sub of a real double integral"?

The main benefit of using "U sub of a real double integral" is that it can simplify and make complicated integrals easier to solve. It also allows for the evaluation of integrals that would otherwise be impossible to solve using other methods. Additionally, it can help in finding closed-form solutions for indefinite integrals.

5. Are there any limitations to using "U sub of a real double integral"?

While "U sub of a real double integral" is a powerful method for evaluating integrals, it may not always be applicable. It is most effective when the integrand can be simplified using a substitution, but in some cases, the substitution may not lead to a simpler integral. It is important to consider other methods, such as integration by parts, when "U sub of a real double integral" is not applicable.