Double integral, change of variables or no

In summary, the original integral is ∫∫Se2x+3ydydx where S is the region |2x|+|3y|≤ 1. The poster attempted to solve it using two different methods, but got two different answers. The first method involved using a change of variables, resulting in an answer of 24(e-1/e) with a jacobian of 12 and bounds from -1 to 1 for both u and v. The second method was done in x, y coordinates and yielded an answer of 4 times the given integral from x=0 to 1/2 and y=0 to (1-2x)/3, with a final answer of 2/
nautolian

Homework Statement

∫∫Se2x+3ydydx where S is the region |2x|+|3y|≤ 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've done this two ways and gotten two different answers and I'm not sure which is right. I used change of variables where where u=3y+2x and v=3y-2x and I got an answer of 24(e-1/e) with a jacobian of 12 and my bounds from -1 to 1 for both u and v. Then I did it in x, y coordinates and I got 4 times the given integral from x=0 to 1/2 and y=0 to (1-2x)/3 and I got a final answer of 2/3, please help me know which one is right!?

Physics news on Phys.org
nautolian said:

Homework Statement

∫∫Se2x+3ydydx where S is the region |2x|+|3y|≤ 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've done this two ways and gotten two different answers and I'm not sure which is right. I used change of variables where where u=3y+2x and v=3y-2x and I got an answer of 24(e-1/e) with a jacobian of 12 and my bounds from -1 to 1 for both u and v. Then I did it in x, y coordinates and I got 4 times the given integral from x=0 to 1/2 and y=0 to (1-2x)/3 and I got a final answer of 2/3, please help me know which one is right!?
e3y+2x is neither symmetric in x nor y, so you can't take 4 times the integral over 1/4 the region.

So would the answer be 24(e-1/e) or is that wrong?

nautolian said:
Then I did it in x, y coordinates and I got 4 times the given integral from x=0 to 1/2 and y=0 to (1-2x)/3 and I got a final answer of 2/3, please help me know which one is right!?

The integrand does not have the proper symmetry to do any such short cut.

You need to integrate of all of region S.

Related to Double integral, change of variables or no

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation that calculates the area between a two-dimensional region and a plane. It is represented by two integral signs and is used to find the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space.

What is change of variables in double integrals?

Change of variables in double integrals is a technique used to simplify the evaluation of integrals by transforming the original variables into new ones. This is especially useful when dealing with complicated or irregularly shaped regions, as it can make the integral easier to solve.

How do you change variables in a double integral?

To change variables in a double integral, you first need to determine the transformation function that relates the original variables to the new ones. Then, you substitute the original variables with the new ones in the integrand and change the limits of integration accordingly.

What are the benefits of using change of variables in double integrals?

Using change of variables in double integrals can make the integral easier to solve by transforming it into a simpler form. It can also help in visualizing and understanding the geometry of the region being integrated over.

When should change of variables be used in double integrals?

Change of variables should be used in double integrals when the original variables are difficult to work with or when the region being integrated over is complicated. It can also be used to find the integral of a function over a different domain that is more convenient to work with.