Two beams hanging in equilibrium

In summary, the crossbar exerts a force on each beam equal to the sum of the forces on the beam multiplied by the distance between the beam and the crossbar.
p0ps1c1e

Homework Statement

Two identical, uniform beams weighing 260 N each are connected at one end by a friction-less hinge. A light horizontal crossbar attached at the midpoints of the beams maintains an angle of 53 degrees between the beams. The beams are suspended from the ceiling by vertical wires such that they form a "V".

What force does the crossbar exert on each beam?
[/B]
Here is the free body diagram I drew with the symbols I used as well.
http://imgur.com/aFndxKR

Homework Equations

Στ = 0
ΣF = 0

So I thought to break this problem into two and just focus on one of the beams pivoting about point A and then solve for N1. I called the length of the beam L. I feel like I messed up the angles though

Doing that I came up with the equations...
T - mg - N1*sin(53) = 0

T * L cos(37)-mg*(L/2)*cos(37) - N1*(L/2) = 0

Then I thought to solve for N1 but I don't know the length L so I got stuck there

T = mg + N1sin(53) and T = (N1*(L/2) + mg*(L/2)*cos(37)) / L*cos(37)Can somebody give me a hint?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
p0ps1c1e said:
53 degrees between the beams
This does not match your diagram.

Your diagram also appears to assume the force exerted on a beam by the crossbeam is at right angles to the beam. Any other ideas?

The cross bar is a two force member which means that the forces in it act along the length of the bar, not in the directions you have assumed. Try again with this understanding. (Note what happens to the sum of vertical forces on the cross bar with the forces as you have them!)

Yeah that sounds right... I originally had it that way but my TA drew it this way. It really confused me haha I'll try it that way and let you all know how it works out

I figured it out. Thanks a lot!

Related to Two beams hanging in equilibrium

1. What is the concept of "two beams hanging in equilibrium"?

The concept of "two beams hanging in equilibrium" refers to a system in which two beams are suspended from a fixed point and are balanced, with no net force acting on either beam. This means that the beams are at rest and not moving.

2. How is equilibrium achieved in this system?

Equilibrium is achieved in this system through the principle of torque. Torque is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In this case, the beams are balanced because the torque acting on each beam is equal and opposite, resulting in no net torque and thus, equilibrium.

3. What factors affect the equilibrium of the two beams?

The equilibrium of the two beams can be affected by several factors, including the weight and length of each beam, the distance between the beams, and the location of the fixed point from which they are suspended. Any changes in these factors can alter the balance and affect the equilibrium of the system.

4. Can the equilibrium of the two beams be disrupted?

Yes, the equilibrium of the two beams can be disrupted if any external force is applied to the system. This can occur if one of the beams is moved or if an additional weight is added to one of the beams, causing the torque to become unbalanced and disrupting the equilibrium.

5. What real-life applications can be demonstrated through the concept of "two beams hanging in equilibrium"?

The concept of "two beams hanging in equilibrium" has many real-life applications, such as in building and bridge construction, where beams and supports must be balanced to ensure stability. It can also be seen in everyday objects, such as a seesaw, where two people of different weights can achieve equilibrium by adjusting their positions on the seesaw.