Troubleshooting PF and Firewall Compatibility

• Thread starter ISamson
  • Start date
In summary: Stealth mode - enabled,Automatically allow signed software to receive encoming connections - enabled.However all of these are on only when the firewall itself is enabled.-Enabled-Enabled-Enabled
ISamson
Gold Member
Hello.
I have been experimenting with my firewall settings, and noticed that PF (not any other webpage in Chrome) was not working. I have restarted my Mac many times, with and without firewall on. @Greg Bernhardt , why could this be? Could this have to do with firewall?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
How are we supposed to know what you did with your firewall settings? Every reasonable setting won't be an issue for web forums, but you can certainly block whatever you want if you really want to mess up the settings.
Don't change settings if you don't know what they are doing. The default settings are default for a good reason.

Greg Bernhardt said:
What settings prevented PF from loading?

I have no idea and that's what I want to know.
Right now my firewall is totally disabled and everything works after 30 min.

mfb said:
How are we supposed to know what you did with your firewall settings?

Currently my firewall is off. I don't know, mfb.

ISamson said:
I have no idea and that's what I want to know.
So it's a simple on/off switch? When it's on, PF is blocked? What software brand?

Greg Bernhardt said:
So it's a simple on/off switch? When it's on, PF is blocked?

I don't know if PF did not work because of Firewall, but that's what I just noticed during the experimentation. PF crashed badly for me in the past 1hr with some work/not work times while I was playing with firewall. Yep there is an on/off switch.

ISamson said:
while I was playing with firewall. Yep there is an on/off switch.
What do you mean playing with the firewall? Were you changing settings or just turning it off and on?

Greg Bernhardt said:
What do you mean playing with the firewall? Were you changing settings or just turning it off and on?

Yes, on and off.
As I said, I do not know if PF did not work because of the firewall, but this is just what I noticed.

ISamson said:
Yes, on and off.
As I said, I do not know if PF did not work because of the firewall, but this is just what I noticed.
What firewall software?

Greg Bernhardt said:
What firewall software?

My Mac Settings menu.
No software required. No internet required to change the setting.

Anyone else who has a mac can you confirm problems accessing PF with the firewall turned on?

Likes ISamson
Greg Bernhardt said:
Anyone else who has a mac can you confirm problems accessing PF with the firewall turned on?
+ I use Google.

Greg Bernhardt said:
The firewall on my Mac is always turned on and I never had problems.

@ISamson, what options did you set?

DrClaude said:
The firewall on my Mac is always turned on and I never had problems.

@ISamson, what options did you set?

Stealth mode - enabled,
Automatically allow signed software to receive encoming connections - enabled.
However all of these are on only when the firewall itself is enabled.

Related to Troubleshooting PF and Firewall Compatibility

1. Does PF work with all types of firewalls?

Yes, PF (Packet Filter) is a versatile firewall that can work with different types of firewalls, such as stateful, packet-filtering, and even application-level firewalls. It is compatible with most operating systems, including Linux, BSD, and macOS.

2. How does PF interact with firewalls?

PF is designed to work alongside other firewalls and can be configured as a host-based or network-based firewall. It can complement other firewalls by adding an extra layer of security and providing more granular control over network traffic.

3. Can PF be used as a standalone firewall?

Yes, PF can function as a standalone firewall, providing all the necessary features for securing a network. It can be configured to perform tasks such as packet filtering, network address translation, and intrusion detection.

4. Is PF easy to configure and manage?

PF has a user-friendly syntax and configuration file that makes it relatively easy to configure and manage. It also has a robust set of command-line tools and graphical interfaces that can help simplify the configuration process.

5. Does PF work with both IPv4 and IPv6?

Yes, PF supports both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. It can filter and forward traffic for both protocols, and it can also translate between the two. This makes it a versatile choice for securing networks that use both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.