Where Can I Find Math for Black Hole Firewalls?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of black holes and the search for math that explains the concept of a black hole firewall. The speaker apologizes for potentially posting in the wrong place and asks for help finding this information. The conversation also briefly mentions the concept of a black hole firewall, which is a hypothetical phenomenon involving high-energy quanta at the event horizon of a black hole.
MrPhysicsGuy
Hello :)
Before I get to my topic I want to adress that I am new to this website and wish to apologize if my thread is incorrectly placed.

I am interested in black holes and lately I have been trying to find some math which lays the basis for a black hole firewall. Sadly I haven't been able to find what I am looking for and I was wondering if somebody could tell me where to find this.

Again, I am pretty sure my thread is incorrectly placed and I am really sorry about that.

Thanks for the help and I wish you a wonderful day.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What is a "black hole firewall"?

[ EDIT ] Oh.
"...a hypothetical phenomenon where an observer that falls into an old black hole encounters high-energy quanta at (or near) the event horizon.

Some scientists suggest that the entanglement [of Hawking radiation involving two mutually entangled particles] must somehow get immediately broken between the infalling particle and the outgoing particle. Breaking this entanglement would release inconceivable amounts of energy, thus creating a searing "black hole firewall" at the black hole event horizon."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewall_(physics)

Oh okey. Thank you so much :)

Likes Rubidium_71
Cool concept, thanks for the explanation, DaveC426913. But that's an awful lot of energy... it's...
inconceivable.jpg

Related to Where Can I Find Math for Black Hole Firewalls?

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. This occurs when a massive star collapses in on itself, creating a singularity with an infinite density and an event horizon, which is the point of no return for anything entering the black hole.

2. What is a firewall in relation to black holes?

A firewall is a theoretical structure that some scientists propose exists at the event horizon of a black hole. It is thought to be a highly energetic region that would destroy anything that crosses the event horizon, contradicting the idea that nothing can escape a black hole.

3. Can we observe black holes and firewalls?

Currently, we cannot directly observe black holes or firewalls as they are invisible due to their strong gravitational pull. However, we can observe the effects of black holes on their surroundings, such as the distortion of light and the movement of matter around them.

4. What is the controversy surrounding black holes and firewalls?

The controversy arises from the conflict between two fundamental theories of physics: general relativity and quantum mechanics. General relativity predicts that nothing can escape a black hole, while quantum mechanics suggests that information cannot be destroyed, which would happen if a firewall existed. This has led to various theories and debates among scientists.

5. Is there a consensus on the existence of firewalls?

No, there is currently no consensus on the existence of firewalls. Some scientists believe that firewalls are necessary to solve the black hole information paradox, while others argue that they violate fundamental principles of physics. Further research and observations are needed to determine the validity of the firewall theory.