Trouble Understanding Moment Calculations?

In summary, the conversation discusses confusion about the signs obtained in a moment calculation. There is a discrepancy between the direction of the 600N force and the resulting Ay and Cy values. The speaker initially believes the force moves clockwise, but realizes it is actually counterclockwise. They thank the other person for their clarification.
Permanence
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1438894807.906593.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1438894817.790652.jpg

Hi,

I am having trouble understanding how the signs were obtained in the moment calculation.

When I imagine the 600 N force acting on the moment arm, it moves CW which would give it a negative value. When I solve the problem I end up reviving Ay and Cy values that are swapped with the book.

Physics news on Phys.org
Permanence said:
When I imagine the 600 N force acting on the moment arm, it moves CW which would give it a negative value.
The 600N force is to the right, that's counter clockwise about point C.

I thought that I'm suppose to draw a line down from C to the line of action of the force. Then apply the force to that line, and imagine (ignore that)

As I'm writing my response I see that it is CCW. I have no idea why I thought it was CW and was so insistent upon that. Thank you for the reply.

You're welcome :smile:

Related to Trouble Understanding Moment Calculations?

1. What are moment calculations and why are they important?

Moment calculations are mathematical calculations used to determine the turning effect or torque on an object caused by a force. They are important because they help us understand how forces affect the stability and movement of objects, which is crucial in fields such as engineering and physics.

2. How do I know when to use moment calculations?

Moment calculations are typically used when analyzing the stability or equilibrium of an object, or when determining the forces needed to move an object in a specific direction. They are also commonly used in structures and machines to ensure structural integrity and prevent failure.

3. What are the key concepts involved in moment calculations?

The key concepts involved in moment calculations include the magnitude and direction of forces, the distance between the force and the point of rotation, and the concept of lever arms. It is important to understand these concepts in order to accurately perform moment calculations.

4. How do I perform moment calculations?

To perform moment calculations, you will need to identify the forces acting on the object, determine the distance between each force and the point of rotation, and then calculate the torque of each force by multiplying its magnitude by its lever arm. The net torque can then be calculated by summing up all the individual torques.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when performing moment calculations?

One common mistake to avoid is forgetting to consider the direction of the forces, as a force in the opposite direction can produce a negative torque. It is also important to use consistent units and to double check all calculations for accuracy. Another mistake is using the wrong point of rotation or failing to account for all forces acting on the object.