Solve Value of R: Moment & Equilibrium

In summary, the conversation was about solving the value of R in an equilibrium equation based on a given diagram. The question was regarding the use of R to multiply another value instead of resolving it into a perpendicular force. The expert explains that this is because the torque would be smaller in that case, and the value of R would also be smaller if applied perpendicularly. The reactive force on B is also discussed, which must be perpendicular to the surface that supports the fixture.
maitake91
Homework Statement
Solve the value of R based on the diagram attached.
Relevant Equations
Sum of moment in equilibrium = 0
Summary:: I need some help with moment when using equations of equilibrium

Edit: Sorry I forgot to say what the question was! The question was to solve the value of R based on the diagram below alone.

I was solving the question below and I tried to resolve R into a force that is perpendicular to the beam, but I couldn't. So then I looked at the workout for the answer, and apparently you don't have to do that, since they just used R to multiply 8. I don't understand why this is the case. By intuition, I imagine if I tried to push a beam with the same force but did it diagonally instead of at a position perpendicularly towards the beam, it makes more sense to me that it would spin slower. Please can someone explain to me why I am wrong? I would really appreciate the help.

スクリーンショット 2020-08-14 20.44.05.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome, maitake91 :cool:

Your intuition is correct: If you "tried to push a beam with the same force but did it diagonally instead of at a position perpendicularly towards the beam", the value of the resulting moment or torque would be smaller.
For the extreme case of line of application of the force intercepting the fulcrum, the torque value would be zero.

The value of R, if perpendicularly applied to the beam, would be 8.00/8.67 times smaller than the represented R.
All torques are in reference to the fulcrum A.
The reactive force that compensates for the angular application of the 500 N applied on B is Ax.
The direction of the reactive force on B can only be perpendicular to the surface that supports the rocking fixture (note its rounded base).

Likes maitake91
Lnewqban said:
Welcome, maitake91 :cool:

Your intuition is correct: If you "tried to push a beam with the same force but did it diagonally instead of at a position perpendicularly towards the beam", the value of the resulting moment or torque would be smaller.
For the extreme case of line of application of the force intercepting the fulcrum, the torque value would be zero.

The value of R, if perpendicularly applied to the beam, would be 8.00/8.67 times smaller than the represented R.
All torques are in reference to the fulcrum A.
The reactive force that compensates for the angular application of the 500 N applied on B is Ax.
The direction of the reactive force on B can only be perpendicular to the surface that supports the rocking fixture (note its rounded base).
Thank you so much for your reply, it was very helpful and I understand now!

Likes Lnewqban
You are welcome :smile:

Related to Solve Value of R: Moment & Equilibrium

What is the formula for calculating the value of R in a moment and equilibrium problem?

The formula for calculating the value of R in a moment and equilibrium problem is R = (ΣM) / (Σd). This means that R is equal to the sum of all the moments divided by the sum of all the distances.

What is the significance of the value of R in a moment and equilibrium problem?

The value of R in a moment and equilibrium problem represents the amount of force needed to maintain a state of equilibrium. If R is equal to zero, it means that the object is in perfect balance and no external force is required to keep it in place.

How do you determine the direction of R in a moment and equilibrium problem?

The direction of R can be determined by looking at the direction of the moments and distances. If the moments and distances are clockwise, then R will be in the counterclockwise direction. If the moments and distances are counterclockwise, then R will be in the clockwise direction.

Can R have a negative value in a moment and equilibrium problem?

Yes, R can have a negative value in a moment and equilibrium problem. This indicates that the force needed to maintain equilibrium is in the opposite direction of the applied forces and moments.

How can you check if your calculated value of R is correct?

You can check if your calculated value of R is correct by performing a recheck with the original values and equations. Additionally, you can also use a free body diagram to visually confirm if the forces and moments are balanced and if R is in the correct direction.