Trivia Chat: General Topics and Prizes for Top 3 Winners

• Announcement
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, Trivia will be held in our chat room Thursday July 6th at 8PM CST! Trivia will be general topics. Google is allowed but speed is everything. Top 3 members will receive the coffee table book "What's It Like in Space?" or a $10 Amazon gift card if outside the USA. Reminders will be posted throughout next week. A link to chat will be posted here along with it being added to the top navbar and an alert will be sent out.
The date on my computer says 5/7/2017
I think I am a month early and a day late:nb)

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not good in trivia, but it sounds like fun! Thanks Greg for being so versatile. I hope to at least be watching a bit ... + you never know! ... . When you say:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Trivia will be general topics
you don't mean only within science, do you?
I assume you mean general general ...

mfb said:
I'll start somewhere in the middle: John, John, John, John, John, John, John, John, John, John, John, John, John, John, John, John, John, John, ...
I'll do the beginning and the end:
Last name: Smith, Smith, Smith ... ... Jones, Jones, Jones, Jones.

Stavros Kiri said:
you don't mean only within science, do you?
I assume you mean general general ...
General general :) History, science, sports, literature, current events etc :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
General general :) History, science, sports, literature, current events etc :)
Ok thanks! Versatile it is! But I may not be very good with trivia; I may try to give it a few shots though ... you never know ...

Stavros Kiri said:
Ok thanks! Versatile it is! But I may not be very good with trivia; I may try to give it a few shots though ... you never know ...
Everyone knows something more about something else than someone else :)

Likes fresh_42 and Stavros Kiri
Have you guys considered doing it on a thread? The forum is very fast these days + it would be easier to review and qualify the questions etc. ... perhaps learn more from it too! ...
Is my idea technologically valid and feasible? Advantages and disadvantages (concisely) as compared to chatroom?

Stavros Kiri said:
Is my idea technologically valid and feasible? Advantages and disadvantages (concisely) as compared to chatroom?
I think it would be very messy and long. Chat is much more condensed.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I think it would be very messy and long. Chat is much more condensed.
But the chat room moves very fast. It may be a mess too. Have you tried it before?

Also with many people on the chat ... some posts may delay to appear sometimes. I think the forum certainly has a larger memory capacity. Vs speed though? Not sure
You're the expert on these, of course.

Greg, did you see my full edited post above?
Stavros Kiri said:
Also with many people on the chat ... some posts may delay to appear sometimes. I think the forum certainly has a larger memory capacity. Vs speed though? Not sure
You're the expert on these, of course.
For 25 questions both ways are feasible. But posts on chat don't all show to all at the same time, while the forum keeps perfect order, who answers first etc. (we just have to renew and read alerts etc. though)

I still tend to think too that the chat is a better choice though, perhaps.

As long as you acknowledged these etc. , I trust you're the expert.

256bits said:
The date on my computer says 5/7/2017
I think I am a month early and a day late:nb)
Two months may be? ...

8pm CST... I make that 2am British Summer Time on 7th July. Maybe I can answer trivia questions in my sleep, but I can't type in my sleep, so I guess I have to give this one a miss. (I'm hoping that within a few weeks my new job will leave me time to look at PF again occasionally).

Chat is now open, trivia will start in 30min
https://www.physicsforums.com/chat/

I had fun, even though I didn't win.

scottdave said:
I had fun, even though I didn't win.
You did pretty good though!

Thanks. For the first third of the contest, I thought I'd never be fast enough to get one in time. So that half point was for the NZ language question?

scottdave said:
Thanks. For the first third of the contest, I thought I'd never be fast enough to get one in time. So that half point was for the NZ language question?
Yes, as an extra bonus from Greg, after inspired by StevieTNZ etc. , I think.

I was pretty slow all along, but eventually tackling something ...

Last edited:
WETA. WETA, not wetter! :O

Likes Infrared and Greg Bernhardt
mfb said:
Can you post the questions here?
Jealous now ha!?
(We did learn a lot!)

I was not that interested in answering questions at 3 am local time. At that time I was more interested in sleep.

mfb said:
I was not that interested in answering questions at 3 am local time. At that time I was more interested in sleep.
What if you were on the space station? :wink:

Gah! I forgot about the trivia event! :cry:

It was 1 am local time at the ISS.
I was not in the ISS.

mfb said:
It was 1 am local time at the ISS.
I was not in the ISS.
How is it determined?
(Next time Greg said there might be categories. More interesting? May be do an ISS trivia ... :smile:)

Drakkith said:
Gah! I forgot about the trivia event! :cry:
Another dentist appointment?

Stavros Kiri said:
Another dentist appointment?

Nope. I just forgot.

Stavros Kiri said:
How is it determined?
(Next time Greg said there might be categories. More interesting? May be do an ISS trivia ... :smile:)
Ok, got it! ISS time is GMT (or UTC), and it was in fact 1am there when the trivia was starting. mfb is always right ...
(London DST is one hour ahead GMT [was 2am in London], and Germany DST two hours ahead, thus 3am then. It works!)

Last edited:
mfb said:
Can you post the questions here?
Next time. I was deleting them from my list as I asked them :frown:

Unfortunately the time trivia was held was after 4:00 am here. Hoping for next time...:smile:

Likes Charles Link