Triple integral in eletromagnetism: prove force doesnt depend radius.

In summary, you should prove by simplifing the integral that F^e, the eletric force applied between two spheres, onde with a charge q_1 and the other with the charge q_2 (distributed evenly in volume, with a charge density \rho) doesn't depend on R_2, it only depends on q_1, q_2 and d
tsuwal

Homework Statement

This problem may be dull, I know, but maybe there is a hidden math trick that i don't know of. This picture sums up the problem.

2013-03-31 03.36.07.jpg

So, you should prove by simplifing the integral that [itex]F^e[/itex], the eletric force applied between two spheres, onde with a charge [itex]q_1[/itex] and the other with the charge [itex]q_2[/itex] (distributed evenly in volume, with a charge density [itex]\rho[/itex]) doesn't depend on [itex]R_2[/itex], it only depends on [itex]q_1, q_2[/itex] and [itex]d[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]F^{e}=\int_V \frac{q_1\rho }{4\pi \delta^{2}} cos(\phi ) dV [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]F^{e}=\int_V \frac{q_1\rho }{4\pi \delta^{2}} cos(\phi ) dV =\frac{q_1q_2 }{4\pi\frac{4}{3}\pi R_2^{3}}\iint_{0}^{R_2}\frac{cos(\phi )sin(\phi )r^2}{\delta^{2}}drd\phi=\frac{q_1q_2 }{4\pi\frac{4}{3}\pi R_2^{3}}\iint_{0}^{R_2}\frac{cos(\phi )sin(\phi )r^2}{(d-rcos(\phi )^2+(rsin(\phi )^2))} drd\phi=\frac{q_1q_2 }{4\pi\frac{4}{3}\pi R_2^{3}}\iint_{0}^{R_2}\frac{cos(\phi )sin(\phi )r^2}{(d^2+r^2-2drcos(\phi ))} drd\phi[/itex]

How do you simplify this integral or at least show that the expression doesn't depend on [itex]R_2[/itex]? I tried to derivate with respect to [itex]R_2[/itex] but it didn't helped...

Physics news on Phys.org
If I remember correctly, it is easier to integrate over a spherical shell only. If this is equivalent to a point-charge, the remaining part is easy.

Do you have to use integration? Gauß' law would be so nice...

You are saying that first we could show that a sphere with some charge density is equal to a spherical surface with a surface density choosen to have the same total charge and then simplify the integral. Yeah that could work but still get a pretty dull integral. I just wanted to know if there was some hidden math trick but seems like Guass's law is the way to go.

No, the idea is to get rid of the r-integration: Show that a spherical shell has the same potential (at some specific point) as a point-charge in the center of the shell. The filled sphere just consists of "many" spherical shells.

mfb said:
Show that a spherical shell has the same potential.
yeah but i was asking for the eletric force not the potencial...

I got the many shperical shells=sphere with some volume density though

tsuwal said:
yeah but i was asking for the eletric force not the potencial...
If the potential is the same, the electric field and the force are the same as well.

Oh, I think I see the problem: The force is a vector (with variable orientation), you have to add vectors and not their magnitude. That gets messy - calculate the potential instead, this should be easier.

Related to Triple integral in eletromagnetism: prove force doesnt depend radius.

1. What is a triple integral in electromagnetism?

A triple integral in electromagnetism is a mathematical tool used to calculate the total electric or magnetic field at a specific point in space. It takes into account the contributions from all three dimensions, allowing for a more accurate calculation of the field.

2. How is a triple integral used to prove that force doesn't depend on radius?

A triple integral can be used to calculate the force on a charged particle due to an electric or magnetic field. By setting the radius of the charged particle to different values and evaluating the triple integral, it can be shown that the force remains constant, regardless of the radius.

3. Why is it important to prove that force doesn't depend on radius in electromagnetism?

In electromagnetism, it is important to understand the relationship between force and radius in order to accurately predict the behavior of charged particles in electric or magnetic fields. Proving that force doesn't depend on radius helps to validate the mathematical models used in electromagnetism and provides a better understanding of the underlying principles.

4. Can you provide an example of a triple integral used in electromagnetism to prove that force doesn't depend on radius?

One example of using a triple integral to prove that force doesn't depend on radius is in the calculation of the force on a charged particle moving through a uniform magnetic field. By setting the radius of the particle to different values and evaluating the triple integral, it can be shown that the force remains constant, regardless of the particle's distance from the field source.

5. Are there any limitations to using a triple integral to prove that force doesn't depend on radius in electromagnetism?

While a triple integral is a powerful mathematical tool, it is not always applicable in all situations. In some cases, more complex mathematical methods may be needed to accurately calculate the force on a charged particle in an electric or magnetic field. Additionally, the assumptions and conditions used in the triple integral calculation may not always hold true in real-life scenarios, leading to potential discrepancies between the calculated and actual forces.