Translation and rotation of quadric surface

songoku
Homework Statement
This is not homework. I try to study calculus by myself using James Stewart book and below is part of text that I want to ask about
Relevant Equations
Not sure
1695285603023.png

I want to ask how ##Ax^2+By^2+Cz^2+Dxy+Eyz+Fxz+Gx+Hy+Iz+J=0## can be brought to ##Ax^2+By^2+Cz^2+J=0## or ##Ax^2+By^2+Iz=0## using translation and rotation. There is no explanation in the book. What kind of translation and rotation are needed?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
(1) The constants in the various forms are not the same.

(2) The variables int he various forms are not the same.

The general form can be written [tex]
\begin{pmatrix} x & y & z \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} A & \frac12D & \frac12 F \\ \frac12 D & B & \frac12 E \\ \frac12 F & \frac12 E & C \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} x \\y \\ z \end{pmatrix} + \begin{pmatrix} G & H & I \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \end{pmatrix} + J = \mathbf{x}^TM\mathbf{x} + \mathbf{b}^T \mathbf{x} + J = 0.[/tex] Now [itex]M[/itex] is symmetric, so its eigenvalues are real and it has a basis of orthogonal eigenvectors; thus there exists a rotation (ie. a matrix [itex]R[/itex] with determinant 1 such that [itex]R^{-1} = R^T[/itex]) such that [itex]R^{-1}MR[/itex] is diagonal. What happens if you now set [itex]\mathbf{x} = R\mathbf{X}[/itex] in the general form and complete the squares in each variable for which the corresponding diagonal entry of [itex]R^{-1}MR[/itex] is non-zero?

Likes songoku and e_jane
songoku said:
I try to study calculus by myself using James Stewart book...

I want to ask how ##Ax^2+By^2+Cz^2+Dxy+Eyz+Fxz+Gx+Hy+Iz+J=0## can be brought to ##Ax^2+By^2+Cz^2+J=0## or ##Ax^2+By^2+Iz=0## using translation and rotation. There is no explanation in the book.

They took out that whole chapter? Nice! I remember *hating* that chapter. :oldruck:

pasmith said:
(1) The constants in the various forms are not the same.

(2) The variables int he various forms are not the same.

The general form can be written [tex]
\begin{pmatrix} x & y & z \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} A & \frac12D & \frac12 F \\ \frac12 D & B & \frac12 E \\ \frac12 F & \frac12 E & C \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} x \\y \\ z \end{pmatrix} + \begin{pmatrix} G & H & I \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \end{pmatrix} + J = \mathbf{x}^TM\mathbf{x} + \mathbf{b}^T \mathbf{x} + J = 0.[/tex] Now [itex]M[/itex] is symmetric, so its eigenvalues are real and it has a basis of orthogonal eigenvectors; thus there exists a rotation (ie. a matrix [itex]R[/itex] with determinant 1 such that [itex]R^{-1} = R^T[/itex]) such that [itex]R^{-1}MR[/itex] is diagonal. What happens if you now set [itex]\mathbf{x} = R\mathbf{X}[/itex] in the general form and complete the squares in each variable for which the corresponding diagonal entry of [itex]R^{-1}MR[/itex] is non-zero?
I will try first and update what I have done.

e_jane said:
They took out that whole chapter? Nice! I remember *hating* that chapter. :oldruck:
Can you maybe tell me the name of the chapter or anything related to the transformation of quadric surface so I can learn the basic?

Thanks

e_jane said:
songoku said:
Can you maybe tell me the name of the chapter or anything related to the transformation of quadric surface so I can learn the basic?

I sold that textbook back to the university's bookstore about thirty years ago. Sorry.

Likes songoku