Traceless hermitian matrices form groups?

In summary, The set of nxn traceless hermitian matrices under addition is a group. The identity element is the matrix of all zeroes and the inverse of any element is obtained by putting a minus sign on all of its elements. The set of nxn traceless hermitian matrices under multiplication is not a group as closure is not satisfied. The set of nxn traceless non-hermitian matrices under addition is also not a group as it does not include the identity matrix. The meaning of "non-hermitian" can be interpreted as either "not necessarily hermitian" or "definitely not hermitian", which affects whether this set can be considered a group or not.
TheIsingGuy
  1. is the set of nxn traceless hermitian matrices under addition a group?
  2. is the set of nxn traceless hermitian matrices under multiplication a group?
  3. is the set of nxn traceless non-hermitian matrices under addition a group?

question 1-I thought that traceless means trace=0 is this right? so what would the identity element be? it can't be the null matrix because it doesn't have an inverse, can anyone help? I haven't got around to the other questions but help is probably needed coz i don't like matrices

Physics news on Phys.org
I just realized in the first quesiton, the composition law is actually addition, so that makes the inverse of the identiy just putting a minus sign on all of its elements, which doesn't change the diagonal, which mean its still traceless, so it must be a group.

for the second question closure isn't satisfied , the third one I am not sure what to do...

non-hermitian matrices don't include the identity.

weejee said:
non-hermitian matrices don't include the identity.

yes of course, thanks a lot

Well, first of all, the identity element for addition is the matrix of all zeroes, not the identity matrix. Of course, this is also hermitian. But "non-hermitian" is often supposed to mean "not necessarily hermitian" rather than "definitely not hermitian". The answer depends on which meaning is implied.

Avodyne said:
Well, first of all, the identity element for addition is the matrix of all zeroes, not the identity matrix. Of course, this is also hermitian.

That was what I meant.

Avodyne said:
But "non-hermitian" is often supposed to mean "not necessarily hermitian" rather than "definitely not hermitian". The answer depends on which meaning is implied.

"Not necessarily hermitian" just means all matrices. Then, there is no point in using such term.

To me it seems safe to consider "non-hermitian" as "definitely not hermitian".

Related to Traceless hermitian matrices form groups?

What are traceless hermitian matrices?

A traceless hermitian matrix is a square matrix where the sum of its diagonal elements is equal to zero and its complex conjugate transpose is equal to itself. This means that the matrix is symmetric across its diagonal and its elements are complex numbers.

How do traceless hermitian matrices form groups?

Traceless hermitian matrices form groups because they follow the properties of a group, such as closure, associativity, identity, and inverse. This means that when two traceless hermitian matrices are multiplied, the result is also a traceless hermitian matrix, and there exists an identity matrix and inverse matrix for every matrix in the group.

What are some applications of traceless hermitian matrices?

Traceless hermitian matrices have various applications in quantum mechanics, particularly in the study of quantum systems with spin. They are also used in the construction of unitary matrices, which are important in quantum computing and signal processing.

How are traceless hermitian matrices related to Lie algebras?

Traceless hermitian matrices are closely related to Lie algebras, as they form the basis for the Lie algebra su(n). This algebra is used to study symmetries in quantum systems and has applications in physics, chemistry, and engineering.

Can traceless hermitian matrices be diagonalized?

Yes, traceless hermitian matrices can be diagonalized using unitary matrices. This means that they can be transformed into a diagonal matrix with their eigenvalues on the diagonal. This property is useful for solving problems involving traceless hermitian matrices, as it simplifies calculations and reveals important information about the matrix.