Torsion in a hollow beam cross-section

In summary, the problem is regarding finding the compressive axial force for a hollow beam with an applied load of 20kN. The student is using the equation τ = VQ/It to calculate shear stresses in the walls, but this is incorrect for closed sections. The student is also unsure how to calculate stress in axially loaded members and is looking for clarification on the equations and methods. Some examples have been provided, but they may not be applicable to this specific problem. Further research and clarification are needed.
beamsandthangs

Homework Statement

The problem is regarding the question on the attached file called 'QUESTION3.png' This is urgent so please reply if you can.

Homework Equations

The attempt is in the file attached. Is my procedure correct? Am I missing something or is something wrong?

Also, how do I find the compressive axial force if N- = 20kN? What equation do I use?

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt is attached.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Torsion Attempt.pdf
    659.8 KB · Views: 304
  • QUESTION 3.png
    QUESTION 3.png
    14 KB · Views: 392
Physics news on Phys.org
1. Your section is closed. You are using τ = VQ/It to compute the shear stresses in the walls. This is incorrect. Have you studied how to analyze closed sections in shear?

2. The axial force is applied along the longitudinal axis of the beam. How do you calculate stress in axially loaded members? (Hint: it was probably the first stress formula you learned.)

SteamKing said:
1. Your section is closed. You are using τ = VQ/It to compute the shear stresses in the walls. This is incorrect. Have you studied how to analyze closed sections in shear?

I've done some research but couldn't find any clear information to learn from. I only have one example of the same question, which is from a friend and he uses the same equation : VQ/It (where t includes the wall thickness of both the left and right side. If you could give me a link explaining the equation for shear stress in hollow beams or just give me the equation that would be great. The information my lecturer gives me on the university website is very limited. This is a repeat exam and I'm currently outside the country my uni is in so I don't have any lecturers to explain this.

2. The axial force is applied along the longitudinal axis of the beam. How do you calculate stress in axially loaded members? (Hint: it was probably the first stress formula you learned.)

Oh. I assume it is the SigmaZ= N/A + Mx(Y)/Ix - My(X)/Iy equation.
If so, I have the values of N, A, Ix, Iy, but not Mx and My. How do I obtain the M values?
I assume after obtaining the Mx and My values, I replace the X and Y values for the top and bottom of the beam to find the normal force?

Reply is above in Bold

Edit:

In this example I found through google, the person uses VQ/It to find the shear at N.A :
http://faculty.ksu.edu.sa/modar/CE%20302%20Solved%20Problems/Solved%20Problems%20on%20Ch6.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
1. No mention is made of any bending in your problem, so Mx = My = 0.

2. In your example, there is no shear connection between the sides of the wooden box and the top and bottom plates except be the nails which connect them. This is not a good example to use on your problem, since you have a full shear connection at all four corners.

3. The attached example is for a beam which does have a thicker top plate than your problem.
http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~thompson/hPage/CourseMat/Tutorials/Solid_Mechanics/shear.pdf
On reading their description, it appears that if all plates are the same thickness, one can assume equal shear flow in the sides, and thus τ = VQ/It may be valid for your problem after all. I apologize for the earlier confusion. However, the attached method should also work for more general problems, as well as this one.

What happened to the Torsion and Bending part? The loads appear to be eccentrically applied?? Is this correct?

Related to Torsion in a hollow beam cross-section

1. What is torsion in a hollow beam cross-section?

Torsion refers to the twisting or rotation of a structural member, such as a beam, due to applied torque or twisting force.

2. How does the shape of a hollow beam cross-section affect torsion?

The shape of a hollow beam cross-section can greatly affect its resistance to torsion. A circular or symmetric cross-section is typically more resistant to torsion than a non-circular or irregular shape.

3. How is torsion in a hollow beam cross-section calculated?

The torsional stress in a hollow beam cross-section can be calculated using the formula T/J = τ/R, where T is the applied torque, J is the polar moment of inertia of the cross-section, τ is the shear stress, and R is the distance from the center of the cross-section to the outermost point.

4. What materials are commonly used for hollow beams to resist torsion?

Materials with high strength and stiffness, such as steel, aluminum, and composite materials, are commonly used for hollow beams to resist torsion.

5. How can torsion in a hollow beam cross-section be prevented?

Torsion can be prevented in a hollow beam cross-section by using a symmetric cross-section, increasing the thickness of the beam walls, adding reinforcing members, or using materials with high resistance to torsion.