Torque generated by water flow

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of force generated by water. The formula for force is given as F = P t = mvt, but there is confusion about the correct way to calculate mass. The solution is given as F = (\pi r^2) \rho v^2, which can be derived by considering a small period of time and calculating the momentum change of the water. The moment of the water about a given point is also discussed. Overall, the conversation ends with the speaker having a better understanding of the calculation process.
EEristavi
Homework Statement
Water flows out of a big tank along a tube bent at right angles:
the inside radius of the tube is equal to r = 0.50 cm. The length of the horizontal section of the tube is equal to 1 = 22 cm.
The water flow rate is Q = 0.50 liters per second. Find the moment
of reaction forces of flowing water, acting on the tube's walls, relative
to the point 0 (where tube and tank is connected).
Relevant Equations
## \tau = F R ##
Q = V A
I know that I have to calculate force that is generated by water. However, I do it wrong way.

## A = \pi r^2 ##
## v = \frac Q A = \frac Q {\pi r^2}##
## F = P t = mvt = ...? ## - have problem with mass. and is it even correct way?

if I can calculate F - its easy afterwards...
##\tau = F l ##

P.S.
I looked for the solutions and it says that
## F = (\pi r^2) \rho v^2 ##
I can't get how they wrote it - I tried many approach already..

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a small period dt. How much water flows through the bend in that time? What is its mass? What momentum change does it undergo? What is the moment of that about the given point?

By the way, your title does not match your question.

• Informative
Likes EEristavi
haruspex said:
Consider a small period dt. How much water flows through the bend in that time? What is its mass? What momentum change does it undergo? What is the moment of that about the given point?
when you pointed out in that way (step by step) - light bulb just flashed on :)

Thanks mate!

P.S. I was writing other question other day - forgot to change the title, sorry

Related to Torque generated by water flow

1. What is torque generated by water flow?

Torque generated by water flow is the twisting force produced when water moves through a system or device, such as a turbine or pump. It is a measure of the rotational force that can be exerted on an object.

2. How is torque generated by water flow measured?

Torque generated by water flow is typically measured in units of newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb). It can be calculated by multiplying the force of the water flow by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

3. What factors affect the torque generated by water flow?

The amount of torque generated by water flow depends on several factors, including the velocity and volume of the water flow, the size and shape of the turbine or pump, and the efficiency of the system. In general, a higher velocity and volume of water flow will result in a greater torque.

4. How is torque generated by water flow used in practical applications?

Torque generated by water flow has a variety of practical applications, particularly in the generation of hydroelectric power. It is also used in water pumps, waterwheels, and other devices that utilize the force of water flow to perform work or generate electricity.

5. Is torque generated by water flow renewable?

Yes, torque generated by water flow is considered a renewable energy source. As long as water continues to flow, it can be harnessed to produce torque and generate power. However, the specific amount of torque that can be generated may be affected by changes in water levels or flow rates.