Torn Between Different Schools

• Schools
  • Thread starter nisl7570
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Schools
In summary, the speaker is a biology major who switched to physics during their second year of college. They transferred to a larger, science-oriented school but are now considering transferring back to their smaller, liberal arts college. They are concerned about the impact of their undergraduate school on their chances for admission to physics graduate school. The advice given is to focus on their own academic achievements and research experience rather than the reputation of their school.
nisl7570
Hello, I am new to these forums, though I have found myself here for homework help on more than one occasion :-p. I was at a small liberal arts college for three years as a biology major with the intention of going to medical school. During my second year I decided I wanted to pursue science, and so I took calc based physics, calc 2, and so on. After my third year I decided to switch my major to physics and I transferred to Iowa State because I figured it would be better graduating from a larger, science oriented school rather than a liberal arts school. I am currently enrolled in modern physics, multivariable calc, diff eq, and mechanics, and I have a year left to finish up after this one due to switching my major late. The problem is, I'm not happy here and I gravely miss my old school and I want to transfer back. However, if this would compromise my future I don't think it would be worth it, and I'd rather suck it up for another year and a half. Do physics graduate schools select applicants based on the school they graduated from? Would Iowa State look better than a small liberal arts college? Thank you all for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you not happy? What makes you want to transfer back?

I feel that a smaller college was a much better fit for me on a personal and educational level. The professors knew me, I knew them, and if I'm being completely honest, I feel as though I was getting a better education at my old college.

nisl7570 said:
Do physics graduate schools select applicants based on the school they graduated from?

It's factored in, yes.

nisl7570 said:
Would Iowa State look better than a small liberal arts college

Depends on the college.

I would focus on what will help you to learn physics better and attain the substantive factors that grad school admissions committees evaluate (actual courses taken, grades, research experience, letters of recommendation from people who really know you), rather than on what might simply "look good". Getting into grad school is more about what you did than about the name of your school.

The school you get your bachelor's from does matter, by way of the facilities and opportunities that it provides you. I obviously don't know how your former college stacks up in terms of course offerings and research. But many small colleges do produce physics majors who get into grad school and do well.

I may be a bit biased here because I graduated from a small college with three physics faculty members, and enjoyed my time there. All four of the physics majors in my graduating class got into grad school: three in physics (including me of course) and one in operations research (that one was a double major who was more oriented towards math).

Related to Torn Between Different Schools

What is "Torn Between Different Schools"?

"Torn Between Different Schools" refers to a situation where a student is struggling to choose between two or more schools for their education.

Why do students face this dilemma?

Students may face this dilemma due to various reasons such as the schools offering different programs or majors, location, cost, campus culture, and personal preferences.

What factors should be considered when making a decision?

Some important factors to consider when making a decision include the academic programs and opportunities offered by each school, location and accessibility, cost and financial aid options, campus culture and student life, and personal fit and preferences.

How can a student make a decision?

A student can make a decision by researching and comparing the pros and cons of each school, visiting the campuses, talking to current students and alumni, seeking advice from counselors or mentors, and considering their academic and career goals.

What should a student do if they are still unsure?

If a student is still unsure, they can consider attending an open house or admissions event at each school, reaching out to admissions representatives for more information, and talking to current students or alumni for their experiences and insights.