Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #3,116
TIL that apple juice made of apples which had possible grubs officially still count as vegan.

Not that I would care. It's more a case of schadenfreude.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,117
Ibix said:
Just that the number of trophy points you have is above a certain value. You probably got an alert about a trophy, for replying or posting a certain number of times or whatever. Noting that you have 22 trophy points, I guess "electron" is 20+. As I say, someone reverse engineered it - search General Discussion for posts containing ocean and mountain.

Edit: it doesn't mean we think negatively of you... :wink:
Is there anything less than a PF quark?

I don't know if there is an astronomical term for a body that enters the solar system, maybe interacts slightly with one or two planets and then vanishes out beyond possibility of observation? (They might very slightly have altered some orbits and tides scarcely detectably, but overall there is only a small effect bringing forward the running down of the system.) :smile:

• #3,118
Today I learned that it’s important to check to make sure you click reply and not reply all to an email sent to dozens of people. Now I keep getting reply’s from people trying to reply to the first email and instead accidentally replying to mine.

• #3,119
epenguin said:
Is there anything less than a PF quark?
Here's the list that was reverse engineered. Presuming you can't get negative trophy points, I think the answer is no.

• #3,120
Universe is full of giant clouds containing significant percentage of https://www.sciencealert.com/cosmic-cloud-contains-enough-alcohol-to-keep-the-world-world-drinking-for-a-billion-years.
Let's have a party!:biggrin:

Likes Adesh and BillTre
  • #3,121
Today I learned that tyro means beginner.

Likes Klystron
  • #3,122
Today I learned the word abecedarian as a synonym for tyro.

Likes Hsopitalist
  • #3,124
TIL that fans heckling the Sign Stealing Houston Astros at a preseason game with signs about the Astro's sign stealing had their heckling signs stolen (taken) by stadium personnel.

Likes Klystron
  • #3,125
BillTre said:
TIL that fans heckling the Sign Stealing Houston Astros at a preseason game with signs about the Astro's sign stealing had their heckling signs stolen (taken) by stadium personnel.
AARRGHH! No good deed goes unpunished!

• #3,126
Today I learned (realised) that Physics is different from Mathematics. Mathematics can help us in Physics but upto to a limited extent only.

• #3,128
Adesh said:
Today I learned (realised) that Physics is different from Mathematics. Mathematics can help us in Physics but upto to a limited extent only.

You've been watching Sabine haven't you?

Cheers

Likes Keith_McClary
  • #3,129
cosmik debris said:
You've been watching Sabine haven't you?

Cheers
I don’t know what Sabine is?

• #3,131
Keith_McClary said:
But I got that realisation when I tried to solve a problem
“Show that the magnetic field produced by a solenoid will be parallel to its axis regardless of its cross sectional shape”.
Due to some previous confrontations and the above question I became sure that Mathematics cannot fully describe Physics.

• #3,132
Today I learned that there really is a fish called the red herring.

• Informative
Likes strangerep, epenguin and Keith_McClary
  • #3,135
PeroK said:
Have you been watching "Grand Tours of Scotland" as well?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b094ndf8/grand-tours-of-scotlands-lochs
No - I looked up the expression ages ago when I realized I knew what it meant but not why it meant it. The story is that someone distracted some hounds using a red herring (smelly fish), and it became a byword for a false lead. I must say I don't think I've seen a red herring in real life, but I knew it was a real as well as a figurative thing.

I take it you're enjoying the series? I think I may be looking for ways to pass the time over the next few weeks...

Likes PeroK
  • #3,136
TIL (yesterday morning, actually) not all strikes on your windshield while freeway driving are necessarily gravel.

While tailing a gravel truck up a grade on I-215 freeway, I heard several loud 'Ticks' on my windshield. "Loose gravel", I thought; though the truck appeared clean as I passed it on the next down grade. Gray massive clouds roiled but no rain. 'Tick, Tick'. Finally realized my truck was being pelted by nearly invisible hail stones! The sound followed me down Iron Mountain abating around 3000' elevation.

Likes BillTre
  • #3,137
Ibix said:
I don't think I've seen a red herring in real life
You should find them shelved right next to the haggis.

Last edited:
  • #3,139
zoki85 said:
Didn't know Heron of Alexandria was a true inventor of the steam engine.
James Watt, don't you ever brag about it!
Hi zoki:

I did not find any mention of steam engine in the link you cited. Perhaps you had intended to cite a different article about Heron.

I do vaguely remember from some reference which I have forgotten that someone in that era, I think a Greek inventor, invented a more-or-less hollow spherical device filled with water and mounted to spin. The device had a few spouts at an angle along its equator. When it was heated, steam jets came out out the spouts and propelled rotation of the sphere. I believe this device had no practical use at the time. I suppose that technically this was an engine having motion generated by steam.

Regards,
Buzz

• #3,140
The Greeks invented the aeolipile. While it uses steam to create motion its efficiency is really bad, it isn't practical for anything.

• #3,141
Today I learned about neutron radiography:

More examples and info here.

Likes Ibix and Lnewqban
  • #3,142
mfb said:
The Greeks invented the aeolipile. While it uses steam to create motion its efficiency is really bad, it isn't practical for anything.
Come on, nobody should expect any decent efficiency from a small, primitive, steam propelled device. The important however was demonstrated principle.

Likes fresh_42
  • #3,143
Buzz Bloom said:
I did not find any mention of steam engine in the link you cited. Perhaps you had intended to cite a different article about Heron.
Indeed. I wanted to include wiki article but forgot to do it.
Don't know how accurate is the wiki regarding Heron. I watched documentary on TV about him

• #3,144
Buzz Bloom said:
I believe this device had no practical use at the time. I suppose that technically this was an engine having motion generated by steam.
Today I Learned about:
https://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2020/03/19/four_ancient_greek_inventions_that_were_way_ahead_of_their_time.html?

Heron of Alexandria was one of antiquity's great experimenters. He devised a vending machine, a basic syringe, and an ingenious fountain, but he was particularly fond of steam devices. One of his most notable and theatrical feats of technology was getting temple gates to open automatically. A roaring fire would be lit on a large altar and some of the heat would be siphoned to a pot of water below. The heated, expanding gases would force water through a siphon into another tank attached to a balance system which operates the axles of the doors. When the tank filling with water would sink down, the doors would swing open!

Likes zoki85
  • #3,145
Likes PeroK
  • #3,146
nrqed said:
"Dilatation" is the word we use in French. I wonder if it might have crept into English through French speaking scientists.
I suspect it crept into PF though a French-speaking OP!

We have the word "dilatory" as well in English, which means slow to act.

Likes nrqed
  • #3,147
It's "Dilatation" in German, too. And in Swedish. And most other related languages use something similar.

• #3,148
mfb said:
It's "Dilatation" in German, too. And in Swedish. And most other related languages use something similar.
If you think about it "dilatation" is a dilation of dilation.

• #3,149
Our lexicon says: late latin dilatatio = extension

• #3,150
Today I learned that King George III donated his large private library to the nation and it became the British Library. And, on account of the King's interest in and patronage of astronomy, William Herschell originally named the new planet Uranus after him: Georgium Sidus.

Likes Keith_McClary and Ibix