Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #1,016
Today I learned that our local JWs can't think of any alternative solution to democracy.
They stood on the street offering leaflets and discouraging people from voting in the upcoming elections. But when asked how the country would be managed without any form of government , they couldn't answer.
It surprises me that they didn't teach them how to answer this question.
I didn't want to bother them much, they were just old ladies and it wouldn't have had any effect anyway. So I walked away and let them think on their own :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,017
Sophia said:
Today I learned that our local JWs can't think of any alternative solution to democracy.
They stood on the street offering leaflets and discouraging people from voting in the upcoming elections. But when asked how the country would be managed without any form of government , they couldn't answer.
It surprises me that they didn't teach them how to answer this question.
I didn't want to bother them much, they were just old ladies and it wouldn't have had any effect anyway. So I walked away and let them think on their own :-)

What's a JW?

• #1,018
Hornbein said:
JW?
Jehovah's "Witless."

Likes gracy and Sophia
  • #1,019
Bystander said:
Jehovah's "Witless."
Every time I hear about them, I'm reminded of the time that two of them came to my house knocking on the door. They were knocking on a door that nobody ever uses so I peeked through a hole in the curtain to see who it was. I didn't feel like answering the door but kept an eye on them. Then, one of them starts trying to look into my house for some reason. That's when I got a rifle and pointed the barrel out the window at him. They decided to leave after that. :oldtongue:

• #1,020
Borg said:
Every time I hear about them, I'm reminded of the time that two of them came to my house knocking on the door. They were knocking on a door that nobody ever uses so I peeked through a hole in the curtain to see who it was. I didn't feel like answering the door but kept an eye on them. Then, one of them starts trying to look into my house for some reason. That's when I got a rifle and pointed the barrel out the window at him. They decided to leave after that. :oldtongue:
Omg that was tough :-)

• #1,021
Bystander said:
Jehovah's "Witless."

Are you guys telling me that Jehovah's Witnesses are advocating anarchy?

• #1,022
I don't mind JW's, but they always manage to come when I've got my hands full and am busy as heck...

Q: What do you get when you cross a JW with an HA (Hells angel)?
A: Someone who comes, knocks on your door, and tells you to $%^# off

• #1,023
Hornbein said:
Are you guys telling me that Jehovah's Witnesses are advocating anarchy?
They advocate God's kingdom. Probably ruled by JW "elders" in Brooklyn until Armagedon comes :)

• #1,024
  • #1,026
Sophia said:
They advocate God's kingdom. Probably ruled by JW "elders" in Brooklyn until Armagedon comes :)

Oh.

• #1,027
TIL about bum guns.

• #1,029
Great fun for every construction site in many areas of Germany. Evacuations are rare, fortunately, but the "Kampfmittelräumdienst" (bomb defusal experts) has a lot of work, especially around the big cities.
Southern Germany doesn't have so many bombs. They sometimes find Roman buildings, but those don't explode.

• #1,030
Sophia said:
The problem is that in their heaven there will be allowed only 144,000 souls or whatever. And there is absolutely no chance for me to get a reservation. Never, ever.

• #1,031
Sophia said:
There's always some ending to be afraid of. Even the ancient Greek philosophers thought that they were living in the end times. Than the first Christians believed the same. ... http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/List_of_predictions_of_the_end_of_the_world
However, I'm not much familiar with Eastern eschatological thoughts. Must do research on that.
This list doesn't mention the Maya doomsday in 2012. I'm disappointed.

Likes Sophia
  • #1,032
Astronuc said:
American bombs (from WWII) are still buried under German towns. And they're blowing up.
http://www.theweek.com/articles/603...till-buried-under-german-towns-theyre-blowing

Maybe 10% of 2.7 million tons of bombs didn't explode.
They still find the occasional unexploded German bomb in the UK left over from the Blitz.

There are still an unknown number of live artillery shells, both Allied and German, left over from WWI, buried in northern France and Belgium. Occasionally, one of these shells will spontaneously (or not so spontaneously) explode, killing or injuring anyone standing nearby.

• #1,033
mfb said:
"Kampfmittelräumdienst" (bomb defusal experts) has a lot of work, especially around the big cities.
Maybe something I can do in my retirement. :approve:

• #1,034
fresh_42 said:
The problem is that in their heaven there will be allowed only 144,000 souls or whatever. And there is absolutely no chance for me to get a reservation. Never, ever.
But you are not even trying, fresh, I'm not sorry for you. :-p What about those poor Witnesses why try really really hard but their ID number is 144 001 or more? :cry:
Now this is not funny but they have a very rough test of telling if one is among those who are saved. On Easter, they pass the Eucharistic chalice but you can only drink from it if you know for sure you'll be saved. If you are wrong and accept the wine while being a sinner that means big problems with God. And of course, everyone watches to see who dares to drink.

Last edited:
  • #1,035
Today I learned that Benito Mussolini's youngest son became a jazz pianist.

• #1,036
fresh_42 said:
This list doesn't mention the Maya doomsday in 2012. I'm disappointed.
Check the link at the 2012 entry. They have a whole page for it.
Sophia said:
On Easter, they pass the Eucharistic chalice but you can only drink from it if you know for sure you'll be saved. If you are wrong and accept the wine while being a sinner that means big problems with God. And of course, everyone watches to see who dares to drink.
Is not accepting the wine while being a sinner better?
Oh well... whatever.

• #1,037
mfb said:
Check the link at the 2012 entry.
Oh, it's a Hide-and-Seek game!

• #1,038
mfb said:
Check the link at the 2012 entry. They have a whole page for it.Is not accepting the wine while being a sinner better?
Oh well... whatever.

In their opinion, nope.

• #1,040
Today I learned of Colby Nolan, a housecat who was awarded an MBA in 2004 by Trinity Southern University, a Dallas-based diploma mill, sparking a fraud lawsuit by the Pennsylvania attorney general's office.

The May 30, 2007 episode of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation comedy show The Chaser's War on Everything host Chas Licciardello applying online and obtaining a medical degree for his dog Sonny from Ashwood University. Sonny's "work experience" included "significant proctology experience sniffing other dogs' bums."

• #1,041
Today i learned that there are patterns every where from the microscopic to the macroscopic when you have learned that you will be looking at things to find a pattern
if you can not see one look deeper.:biggrin:

Likes 1oldman2
  • #1,042
wolram said:
Today i learned that there are patterns every where from the microscopic to the macroscopic when you have learned that you will be looking at things to find a pattern
if you can not see one look deeper.:biggrin:
If you look deep enough, there's always Apophenia. :oldwink:

• #1,043
Borg said:
If you look deep enough, there's always Apophenia. :oldwink:

Ha ha!

"Randomania"
In 2011, parapsychologist David Luke proposed that apophenia is one end of a spectrum and that the opposite behaviour (attributing to chance what are apparently patterned or related data) can be called "randomania". He asserted that dream precognition is real and that randomania is the reason why some people dismiss it.​

This reminds me of a new word I made up today: psychomathic

psychomathic: A term used when you post a simple mathematical puzzle on your Facebook page, which has 3 arithmetical solutions, and your PhD level math friend shows up, and posts solutions, which only he understands.

Used in a sentence: "This is why I refuse to share this on my page. I've got a pair of PhD level mathematician friends, and I'm sure they'd have about 10,000 psychomathic solutions".

google hits for the term: 343
PFoogle hits for "psychomath": 2 (micromass. should have known... :oldwink:)

Likes Sophia
  • #1,044
OmCheeto said:
"Randomania"
In 2011, parapsychologist David Luke proposed that apophenia is one end of a spectrum and that the opposite behaviour (attributing to chance what are apparently patterned or related data) can be called "randomania". He asserted that dream precognition is real and that randomania is the reason why some people dismiss it.
Hm. "Stare not into the randomness, lest the randomness stare also into you" or something like that?

• #1,045
Ibix said:
Hm. "Stare not into the randomness, lest the randomness stare also into you" or something like that?
without googling, I'm going to guess, Nietszhe(-1 sp)?.

google google google

Nietzsche; He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

hmmmm... I seem to recall that we had an entire thread devoted to that quote.
hmmm... Seems oddly appropriate. For me anyways. I'm engaged in a "Don Chaotic" type thread.
hmmmmm...
The story follows the adventures of a nameless hidalgo who reads so many chivalric romances that he loses his sanity and decides to set out to revive chivalry, undo wrongs, and bring justice to the world, under the name Don Quixote. He recruits a simple farmer, Sancho Panza, as his squire, who often employs a unique, earthy wit in dealing with Don Quixote's rhetorical orations on antiquated knighthood.

Yup.
I'll have to put that book on my list of books to read. My only knowledge of the story, is something about jousting with windmills.

• #1,046
Today I learned that author Henry Miller had glow-in-the-dark cufflinks made of pingpong balls. He donated them to Santa Cruz University. The gift depended on UC agreeing that anyone could borrow the cufflinks for occasions that called for something "fantastic."

Likes OmCheeto
  • #1,047
TIL that Washington state has an unusual process for participation in the presidential elections.

http://www.wa-democrats.org/sites/wadems/files/documents/2016%20Caucus%20and%20Convention%20Guide.pdf
March 26 - Washington State Democratic Party Caucuses (for more info: www.wa-democrats.org)

http://seattlegop.org/2016_WSRP_rules.pdf
February 20 - Washington State Republican Party Caucuses (for more info: www.wsrp.org)

May 6 - Presidential Primary 18-day voting period begins / regular ballots mailed

May 24 - Presidential Primary

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,048
I learned about creative destruction the "process of industrial mutation that incessantly revolutionizes the economic structure from within, incessantly destroying the old one, incessantly creating a new one". processes of the accumulation and annihilation of wealth under capitalism. This process is in effect as you read this.

Likes OmCheeto
  • #1,049
gleem said:
I learned about creative destruction the "process of industrial mutation that incessantly revolutionizes the economic structure from within, incessantly destroying the old one, incessantly creating a new one". processes of the accumulation and annihilation of wealth under capitalism. This process is in effect as you read this.
Unless you are Too Big To Fail.

• #1,050
Last edited:
Likes CalcNerd and collinsmark