To take Intro physics class or not to take intro physics class

In summary, a student majoring in Chem E is considering taking an intro to physics course in addition to their required calculus-based physics course. Some suggest taking the intro course for exposure and a better understanding of concepts, while others argue that programming knowledge would be more useful. Ultimately, it depends on the student's goals and interests.
Metta
Hi, fellas, I am back again with more questions.:smile: Those who've seen my posts here might recall that I have never been exposed to physics ever before, and now majoring in Chem E, I'll be taking loads of it. I've delayed taking the physics 1 until spring next year because it's calc based and I am taking calc this fall. I have an spot open in my schedule for fall, I was thinking of taking an intro to physics class. Part of me says you don't need it while the other part of me says, it can only do good and expose you to what's to be expected in higher level physics classes.

Question: Do you guys think this would help? Thanks.

and yes intro to physics is algebra based.

Physics news on Phys.org
the exposure is good, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't, unless there are scheduling concerns?

I was going to take a programming class but it seems that class will have to be replaced as it is not as important.

If you aren't planning to do upper-level theoretical work in physics, then you have more options in terms of when to take either an algebra or calculus based intro-to-physics course.

I don't know the requirement for your curriculum but it would be unreasonable to take two lower-level physics course because they differ in mathematical rigor. All introductory physics courses covers the basics of classical mechanics, electrodynamics, and some thermodynamics.

If you want a challenge and a more intimate understanding of physics concepts (which might supplement your understanding of chemistry), wait to take the calc-based physics course.

If you're uninterested in the applications of calc and you're taking physics to meet a requirement, take the algebra-based physics course. You'll always have a safety net (plug-and-chug) to rely on, even if you don't understand the concepts.

Metta said:
I was going to take a programming class but it seems that class will have to be replaced as it is not as important.

:confused:

Programming knowledge is incredibly useful. If you're already required to take calculus-based physics for your degree, I would highly advise taking a programming course over algebra-based physics.

Last edited:
If you can't take physics with calculus I would take the intro course for the time being. I really wished I would have done so, but then again I didn't have the best high school physics course. Physics isn't a course you take once and close the book, you can always gain a deeper understanding with each encounter with the material.

Related to To take Intro physics class or not to take intro physics class

1. Should I take an intro physics class even if it is not required for my major?

Yes, taking an intro physics class can provide a strong foundation for understanding other scientific concepts and can also be helpful for future courses or career opportunities.

2. Will taking an intro physics class be too difficult for someone without a strong math background?

Intro physics classes typically cover basic mathematical concepts and do not require advanced math skills. As long as you are willing to put in the effort to learn, you should be able to succeed in the class.

3. Are there any benefits to taking an intro physics class?

Yes, taking an intro physics class can help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as provide a better understanding of the physical world around us.

4. Can I take an intro physics class if I haven't taken a science course in a while?

Yes, while some basic science knowledge may be helpful, intro physics classes are designed to be accessible to students of all backgrounds and levels of experience.

5. Are there any resources available to help me succeed in an intro physics class?

Many universities offer tutoring services and study groups specifically for intro physics classes. Additionally, your professor and teaching assistants are great resources to ask for help and clarification.