Tips for switching into physics with mediocre math scores

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to pursue a career in astrochemistry with a background in chemistry and a weak understanding of mathematics. They are considering retaking calculus at a community college or obtaining a physics masters before pursuing a PhD in astrophysics. They are also seeking information on the grades typically required for graduate programs and how to prove their abilities to themselves and potential schools. Suggestions are given to self-evaluate and self-study in mathematics, as well as considering graduate programs in physical/quantum chemistry. Online courses from Coursera are also mentioned as a potential resource for improving in calculus.
NanaToru
Hello all!

I've been on and off this forum for a little bit now.

Background: Graduated from top 50 (US News, as if that means anything) school with a degree in applied chemistry with a 3.2 gpa. I had two papers published in organic chemistry, one poster in analytical and did research abroad in inorganic as well. However, because I wasn't in chemistry originally, I took short calculus and didn't spend a lot of time studying my math and thus got mostly Cs and a B. Not to mention that math has always been a bit of a weak point for me (I'm working on it!).

I took general physics, which was more theoretical and less math based (dubious at best, right?) and I aced those classes. Also, I did mostly well in engineering physical chemistry (esp. group theory and QM). It was mostly because of these courses that I began to understand a lot of the math I had completely brushed off earlier, and at that time, I was already a third year and thus it was somewhat unreasonable for me to go back and retake math (Plus, my school generally didn't allow unless you got a C- or below).

I've since become interested in astrochemistry, but with so few schools offering graduate degrees in that, I'm not sure how to go about this--should I try to get a physics masters before an astrophysics PhD? Should I retake engineering/sciences calculus at a community college to "prove" myself? And if so, what grades should I really be looking for--I.e., if I don't get an A in calculus, I ought to switch my career path.

What I'm looking for: What sorts of grades did you get before getting into a graduate program? How can I prove to myself and schools that I'm able to hold stand up to the rigors of a physics degree? Or should I really pursue something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have already graduated from an accredited school, it should be easy, to learn skills on your own. If you have not acquired this skill from you're degree training, then you have learned nothing at all, instead you graduated from the system by memorizing and training for a test. Calculus is extremely fundamental and you should be able to learn it on your. Wasting time and money at a community college is not a great idea.

Likes NanaToru and llAlill
NanaToru said:
Hello all!

I've been on and off this forum for a little bit now.

Background: Graduated from top 50 (US News, as if that means anything) school with a degree in applied chemistry with a 3.2 gpa. I had two papers published in organic chemistry, one poster in analytical and did research abroad in inorganic as well. However, because I wasn't in chemistry originally, I took short calculus and didn't spend a lot of time studying my math and thus got mostly Cs and a B. Not to mention that math has always been a bit of a weak point for me (I'm working on it!).

I took general physics, which was more theoretical and less math based (dubious at best, right?) and I aced those classes. Also, I did mostly well in engineering physical chemistry (esp. group theory and QM). It was mostly because of these courses that I began to understand a lot of the math I had completely brushed off earlier, and at that time, I was already a third year and thus it was somewhat unreasonable for me to go back and retake math (Plus, my school generally didn't allow unless you got a C- or below).

I've since become interested in astrochemistry, but with so few schools offering graduate degrees in that, I'm not sure how to go about this--should I try to get a physics masters before an astrophysics PhD? Should I retake engineering/sciences calculus at a community college to "prove" myself? And if so, what grades should I really be looking for--I.e., if I don't get an A in calculus, I ought to switch my career path.

What I'm looking for: What sorts of grades did you get before getting into a graduate program? How can I prove to myself and schools that I'm able to hold stand up to the rigors of a physics degree? Or should I really pursue something else?

1. Start by reading this thread and do your own self-evaluation:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...if-my-bachelors-degree-isnt-in-physics.64966/

2. If you think you are weak in mathematics, start your own self-study. Pick up Mary Boas's "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Science" and the Students Solution Manual that accompanies that text.

Zz.

Likes NanaToru
If you liked and did well in physical and quantum chemistry, and seemingly have done quite a bit of research in chemistry, why not go to graduate school in physical/quantum chemistry? I looked at astrochemistry before and I think it mostly uses methods from physical and quantum chemistry.

Likes NanaToru
Coursera (on-line) has courses in Calc 1 and Calc 2. They are not thorough, but they are correct for what they include.

Likes NanaToru

Related to Tips for switching into physics with mediocre math scores

1. How important is math in physics?

Math is a crucial component of physics, as it provides the language and tools necessary to describe and understand the natural world. Without a strong foundation in math, it may be difficult to grasp some of the more complex concepts in physics.

2. Can I still pursue a career in physics with mediocre math scores?

While having strong math skills is certainly beneficial, it is not the sole determining factor in pursuing a career in physics. There are many other qualities, such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and a passion for the subject, that are equally important in the field of physics.

3. What steps can I take to improve my math skills for physics?

There are several steps you can take to improve your math skills for physics. These include seeking out extra help, practicing regularly, and focusing on understanding the fundamentals rather than just memorizing formulas. Additionally, taking courses specifically focused on math for physics can also be beneficial.

4. Are there any specific areas of math that are more important for physics?

While all areas of math are interconnected and important in physics, some key areas that are particularly relevant include calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. It is important to have a strong understanding of these topics in order to excel in physics.

5. Is it possible to switch into physics with no prior math experience?

While it may be more challenging, it is definitely possible to switch into physics with no prior math experience. It will require dedication, hard work, and potentially taking some remedial math courses, but with determination and a strong support system, it is possible to succeed in physics even with no prior math experience.