Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of "Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics" by F. Reif in PHY4523 - Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics. The speaker asked for recommendations for supplemental texts with worked out solutions to help understand core concepts, since they have not taken probability theory before. The other person recommended "Thermal Physics" by Schroeder as easier reading with interesting applications, and suggested searching for posted solutions to homework problems for practice. They also shared lecture notes from UT-Austin as a helpful review source.
vladittude0583
I am currently enrolled in PHY4523 - Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics where we are currently using "Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics" by F. Reif and I was wondering if there were any good recommendations as far as supplemental texts that I could use in helping me understand some of the core concepts in Statistical Mechanics? In addition, any textbook that contains a good amount of examples or problems with worked out solutions so that I can follow their reasoning would be greatly appreciated! On a side note, I have never taken probability theory prior to enrolling in PHY4523, thus, I am learning some of the concepts for the very first time. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
That book by F. Reif is actually far better than most other commonly used textbooks. E.g. the book by Kittel on the same subject is i.m.o. horrible.

I too learned from Reif's book. One recent book that I think is quite different than Reif but easier reading is "Thermal Physics" by Schroeder. He doesn't do a ton of example problems for you, but has a very clear presentation with interesting applications. If I had to teach myself the subject these days, I would surely use Schroeder's book. I'm not aware of any books at this level that do a bunch of example problems for you. you may want to google to find posted solutions to homework problems for similar courses if you want some practice problems to work.

jason

Here are a set of lecture notes from UT-Asutin which condense main points of the Reif textbook. I know that it may not be completely helpful for problem-solving, but it is beneficial for review.

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/sm1/lectures.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello,

Thermodynamics and statistical mechanics are fundamental concepts in the field of physics and have many practical applications in various fields such as engineering, chemistry, and biology.

In terms of supplemental texts, I would recommend "Introduction to Statistical Mechanics" by David Chandler and "Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics" by Walter Greiner. Both of these books provide clear explanations of core concepts and have a good number of examples and problems with solutions.

Additionally, I would suggest supplementing your learning with online resources such as lectures and tutorials from reputable universities or online courses that cover probability theory. This will help you develop a solid understanding of the underlying principles and mathematical techniques used in statistical mechanics.

I would also recommend actively engaging with your course material and seeking help from your instructor or peers if you encounter any difficulties. Practicing and solving problems is crucial in understanding and applying these concepts effectively.

I wish you the best of luck in your studies and hope these recommendations will be helpful in your learning journey.

Best regards,

Related to Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics

1. What is the difference between thermodynamics and statistical mechanics?

Thermodynamics is a macroscopic approach that studies the behavior of large systems of particles, while statistical mechanics is a microscopic approach that studies the behavior of individual particles within a system.

2. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another.

3. What is entropy in thermodynamics?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In thermodynamics, it is often referred to as the measure of the unavailable energy in a closed system.

4. How does temperature affect the behavior of particles in a system?

As temperature increases, the average kinetic energy of particles in a system also increases. This leads to an increase in the system's disorder and a higher likelihood of particles interacting with each other.

5. What is the significance of the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that in a closed system, entropy will always increase over time. This law helps to explain why certain processes or reactions are irreversible and why energy cannot be completely converted from one form to another without some loss.