Thermal Physics - Infinite Plates

In summary, the question is about how the net rate of heat emission from a hot plate to a cold plate will change when a thin, isolated plate is inserted between them. The proposed solution is that the rate will be two times smaller because the center plate absorbs and then emits thermal energy in both directions, resulting in only half of the original energy reaching the cold plate. However, the correctness of this solution is uncertain.
Sebastian

Homework Statement

Two infinite plates are kept at different temperatures [itex]T_{cold}<T_{hot}[/itex], with vacuum between them. A very thin plate, isolated from the environment, is inserted between the two plates. How will the net rate of heat emission from the hot plate to the cold plate change?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the rate will be 2 times smaller, because the center plate absorbs all thermal energy from the hot plate and then emits it in both directions, so only half of the original energy arrives at the cold plate. However, I don't know whether my solution is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds good to me.

Related to Thermal Physics - Infinite Plates

1. What is thermal physics?

Thermal physics is the study of the behavior of matter at the microscopic level, specifically in relation to temperature and heat energy.

2. What are infinite plates in thermal physics?

Infinite plates are an idealized model used in thermal physics to study heat transfer between two parallel surfaces that are infinitely large and thin.

3. How do infinite plates behave in relation to temperature?

Infinite plates tend to have uniform temperature distribution, meaning that the temperature is the same at all points on the surface.

4. What is the significance of infinite plates in thermal physics?

Infinite plates serve as a simplified model for real-world heat transfer problems, allowing scientists to study and understand the basic principles of thermal physics.

5. What factors affect the rate of heat transfer between infinite plates?

The rate of heat transfer between infinite plates is affected by the temperature difference between the two plates, the distance between the plates, and the thermal conductivity of the material they are made of.